Steering wheel leather wrap

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't do something like this myself. Find a place that wraps leather, it looks really ugly if the stitches are off...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at least they sell black. id give it a shot and see what happens. black will probably hide a little bit of mistakes

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea I looked at it for $88 bucks I would give it a try in black, It looks close to stock so it will not look out of place

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone bought and tried this?

VIPER 1992-2002 Viper Interior Appearance Steering Wheel Upgrades, Parts & Accessories

The color of my leather is wearing off, and I want to clean it up by replacing it. I saw this on the viper store, but wanted peoples opinions. Maybe there is another way?

Thanks!

Honestly that product looks like something that you can buy thru JC Whitney or Autozone with a huge Viper tax added on. I honestly doubt that its 'Made for a Viper'. Check retailers for other options. If the wheel is black then just redye it. If done correctly it will last for years.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are planning on covering it up anyway, I would try the redye route. It is really not that hard. Actually, after we received our new leather sofa and armchair ... the cats took a liking to it and shredded one arm of the armchair. With no experience, I was able to repair it (not as well as a pro, but on the cheap) and very few people can tell.

Leather Magic Leather Dye Paint Recoloring Finishing

Just do a google search on leather repair or if you prefer, find your local upholstery place.

Leatherman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are planning on covering it up anyway, I would try the redye route. It is really not that hard. Actually, after we received our new leather sofa and armchair ... the cats took a liking to it and shredded one arm of the armchair. With no experience, I was able to repair it (not as well as a pro, but on the cheap) and very few people can tell.

Leather Magic Leather Dye Paint Recoloring Finishing

Just do a google search on leather repair or if you prefer, find your local upholstery place.

Yes I have to agree, recolouring is the way to go but make sure you give it a good degreasing beforhand. Plenty of products out there on the market.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone bought and tried this?

VIPER 1992-2002 Viper Interior Appearance Steering Wheel Upgrades, Parts & Accessories

The color of my leather is wearing off, and I want to clean it up by replacing it. I saw this on the viper store, but wanted peoples opinions. Maybe there is another way?

Thanks!

Here is the people to use as I have used twice before with black and blue and blue & white and it matched my GTS perfectly and you go right over your existing cover, looked like factory when installed.

Wheelskins - The World's Finest Genuine Leather Motoring Accessories, Steering Wheel Covers, Driving Gloves and Shift Boots

F

FrgMstr

Jesus, that is hideous. Take the wheel off and take it to a local leather smith, or saddle shop and have them recover it properly.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow you guys are brutal, what would you say about my fury pink steering wheel cover I installed on my GTS, its pretty, nice feeling and allows me to pull more Gs in turns :lmao:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a good high end detail shop. We had the wifes Caddy done (steering wheel) and it is perfect! The texture, color and the amount of dull/luster is exact as new. You could never tell and was never removed from the car. These guys are amazing. The also have re-dyed the bolsters on my H2 Hummer. Before you try it yourself and paint it, cover it, or otherwise make an amateur repair let a pro look at it.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a local place that can wrap my steering wheel in Alcantara like this one:

DSC003981.JPG

Reaction score
I purchased a Wheel Skin and covered my steering wheel. The feeling of the steering wheel was terrible. Too Thick!!!

I then purchased a black Viper steering wheel from Ebay with torn leather. I unwrapped it. Used the Wheel Skin I had and re-wrapped my steering wheel.

If you are a do-it-youselfer you can custom order the width of the leather and also specify an additional seam, as our Gen-2 wheels have 2 seams.

2nd picture has a Wheel Skin with both seams and the original leather removed.

Attachments

• steering 004.jpg
    steering 004.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 28
  • steering 001.jpg
    steering 001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 35

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mmmmm Alcantara. That wheel looked great, no additional thickness and like-OEM stitching. The red center-strip seems unnecessary for a street car but I guess its a design element in the red interior.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mmmmm Alcantara. That wheel looked great, no additional thickness and like-OEM stitching. The red center-strip seems unnecessary for a street car but I guess its a design element in the red interior.

The alacantara was wrapped over the factory leather so it's a little thicker.

That viper is mostly at the track and center strip helps

You must be registered for see images

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I love that pic. I want the alcantara wrap for track/spirited driving purposes....better grip/feel. The center strip is interesting, I was going to ask you how that came to be but I think I understand now. Thanks for posting the pics.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

The thickness addition is hardly noticeable. Great work.

My track car isn't nearly as nice inside.....that's why I thought it was a street car. Very nice indeed.:)

Roll_cage.jpg

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the people to use as I have used twice before with black and blue and blue & white and it matched my GTS perfectly and you go right over your existing cover, looked like factory when installed.

Wheelskins - The World's Finest Genuine Leather Motoring Accessories, Steering Wheel Covers, Driving Gloves and Shift Boots

I agree with Bill. WheelSkins is the way to go. I replaced mine early last year and could not be happier with the quality. If you want to save a few more bucks, here is a link to a Wheelskins seller on eBay.

WHEELSKINS 2 COLOR STEERING WHEEL COVER - DODGE - eBay (item 390291418696 end time Mar-23-11 19:54:07 PDT)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32