supercharger was it a mistake

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hate to disagree with Jon, but past the 60', if drivers are equal, the S/C car will walk a geared car bad.....................:drive:

Totally agree I have 3.73's in my Viper and they're great and all but I'm sure my car didn't magically start trapping in the low to mid 130's lol.

Gears are a great easy Bolton but I'd still love to have a blower on the car.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anytime a stock viper with gears wants to run me on the street, im game. if i cant beat it 10 out of 10 times, i'll buy dinner

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anytime a stock viper with gears wants to run me on the street, im game. if i cant beat it 10 out of 10 times, i'll buy dinner. at Mcdonalds

Fixed it for ya Phil.

And I agree, if a Viper with only a gear change can stay with a Paxton Viper then there has been a lot of money wasted on blowers over the years!:crazy2:

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm all for power adders but I often wonder how many that put on a SC really uses it anywhere near its potential. When all is said and done you will dump 10k+ on the SC, tune, half shafts and other things and many may not have places to use it, for the average joe I think its a money pit IMO.....I'm going to get flamed for this post :panic:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i'm all for power adders but I often wonder how many that put on a SC really uses it anywhere near its potential. When all is said and done you will dump 10k+ on the SC, tune, half shafts and other things and many may not have places to use it, for the average joe I think its a money pit IMO.....I'm going to get flamed for this post :panic:

Won't flame ya I'll just tell you were I'd use it.

1. Miles and miles of awesome twisty country roads by my house with some great straight sections in-between.

2. Probably a few highway pulls against the buddies.

3. A 1/4 mile pass or two a season.

I'd use the pi$$ out of it actually ;)

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you, plum and a few others i feel are the few that really use it as it should...i fear many do not to really justify the cost of 10k+ and would have enjoyed a set of gears just a much at a fraction of the cost. Its similar to the big brake conversions that are popular...5k+ later you have brakes that are better then stock, weigh a little less but are never used to the full potential and really what the majority that upgrade to big brakes would have been more than fine with is ss lines, nice pads and toms 40mm for about 1k

Won't flame ya I'll just tell you were I'd use it.

1. Miles and miles of awesome twisty country roads by my house with some great straight sections in-between.

2. Probably a few highway pulls against the buddies.

3. A 1/4 mile pass or two a season.

I'd use the pi$$ out of it actually ;)

Last edited:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree if you have owned and built boosted cars in the past and enjoy them, it may be for you. If your new to Vipers it would be good to start slower lol.

Good point Bud.

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score

For that matter, how many people actually use a bone stock Viper anywhere near its potential? A tiny majority, I would guess. I know I sure don't. Unless you are ******** tracking your Viper and you have years of driving lessons and experience, you are not using it to its potential. So, by your logic, the entire car may be a money pit. :) Its still fun though, to be able to tap into even a portion of its potential on the street, and I can certainly see how bolting on a blower or TT setup would make it that much more fun. Whether that is worth the cost is going to be up to each individual owner to make. I may consider taking that route some day after the warranty has expired, but for now, its still plenty of fun with the stock motor.

To the original poster: the so-called "expert" is clearly an idiot and has no idea what they are talking about - definitely do not accept any advice from that individual!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He said for about $1,200 I should have changed the gear ratio and would have gotten the same power through all 6 speeds.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :rolaugh:

Then he went on to tell me all the down falls of the supercharger. Ex. changing your plugs every 3000 miles, etc, etc.

Well, he may be on to something. A poorly installed Supercharger by a poorly inexperienced Viper 'expert' is going to cause you problems. The least of which will be replacing spark plugs. This is NOT good. Run, don't walk, away from this Viper 'expert'.

Is there any positive side to this?

Yes, if you find a real tried and true Viper expert to install your Supercharger for you.

Did I make a MAJOR mistake.

Yes, not with the Supercharger but with the Viper 'expert'.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you make a very good point, I dont use my viper to its full potential but I also dont use my DD 2006 Civic either that has a top speed of 122 mph. It came with more than I need just like my viper:) I just think some owners get caught up in the number of hp they have thinking more is better verse what they actually need for their style and application of driving. To my point I think many that do a SC already have enough car. In the end its up to the individual like you said and I'm glad people support the vendors that buy SC but I also think its important to discuss and let those thinking of doing a SC the pros, cons and the benefits of other mods as a substitute (gear, tune, rocker arm etc) :D

For that matter, how many people actually use a bone stock Viper anywhere near its potential? A tiny majority, I would guess. I know I sure don't. Unless you are ******** tracking your Viper and you have years of driving lessons and experience, you are not using it to its potential. So, by your logic, the entire car may be a money pit. :) Its still fun though, to be able to tap into even a portion of its potential on the street, and I can certainly see how bolting on a blower or TT setup would make it that much more fun. Whether that is worth the cost is going to be up to each individual owner to make. I may consider taking that route some day after the warranty has expired, but for now, its still plenty of fun with the stock motor.

To the original poster: the so-called "expert" is clearly an idiot and has no idea what they are talking about - definitely do not accept any advice from that individual!!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW I am pro SC and love TT but for me its not practical.....then again if I had endless money I would buy the 2 1992 vipers for sale on ebay for 200000 and TT and SC them just for the heck of it :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW I am pro SC and love TT but for me its not practical.....then again if I had endless money I would buy the 2 1992 vipers for sale on ebay for 200000 and TT and SC them just for the heck of it :)

You know, I've heard so many people say it's not practical until they've done it, LOL. :rolaugh:

The way I look at is, we've crossed the impracticality line by buying the Viper in the first place. :D We're committed at this point.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know, I've heard so many people say it's not practical until they've done it, LOL. :rolaugh:

The way I look at is, we've crossed the impracticality line by buying the Viper in the first place. :D We're committed at this point.

I like the way you think :)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use Tators for the install, as others have said people come from miles to go there, THERES A REASON

Toma

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Mbccenter for the advice. I didn't know if I should change the gears or not. I called the mechanic and to change the gears 3.55 cost $1,600. He also said to drive the car first and then see if I want the gears.

Good advice.... you will already be blazing the tires, unless you are drag racing and running a sticky tire or slick, I would not do the gears AND the supercharger.

Try it first and and see what you think.

Last edited:

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mbccenter for the advice. I didn't know if I should change the gears or not. I called the mechanic and to change the gears 3.55 cost $1,600. He also said to drive the car first and then see if I want the gears.

$1600 for a gear change. Includes extra lube I hope. The 'rear end' kind and I don't mean the cars LOL. CALL CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and make the time to take it or ship it to him!

1OF76RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hate to disagree with Jon, but past the 60', if drivers are equal, the S/C car will walk a geared car bad.....................:drive:

I don't know if that's the case. My stock 3.73 always beats my buddies 540 rwhp Paxton car in the 1/8 mile, but never run the 1/4.

Reaction score
Superchargers are a waste of time, just ask any of the 200+ customers we have done how foolish it was...:rolleyes:

Oh and yea they are a total headache to deal with...really????:rolaugh: any REAL EXPERT would tell you that.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was expecting a stronger poke at my comment than that :) I'm sure they are fun as hell and if I had one I would love it. I think it would not be used as much as most would think and for the average joe 10k+ is a lot of hard work. I dont mean to discredit your company's hard work or the decisions of some to put SC on.

Superchargers are a waste of time, just ask any of the 200+ customers we have done how foolish it was...:rolleyes:

Oh and yea they are a total headache to deal with...really????:rolaugh: any REAL EXPERT would tell you that.

Reaction score
Johnny,
Not directed at you at all, you are right that most people are not comfortable or have the space to use even a stock Viper to the full potential, safely at least. Dollar for dollar though if you want power the S/C route was a bargain IMHO, and was dead reliable if you didn't want to push it farther then the stock designed system. :2tu:

I was expecting a stronger poke at my comment than that :) I'm sure they are fun as hell and if I had one I would love it. I think it would not be used as much as most would think and for the average joe 10k+ is a lot of hard work. I dont mean to discredit your company's hard work or the decisions of some to put SC on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang