Switch to 3.55 gears

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.55's and a Quaife. 5th and better yet 6th are now usable at speeds below 90mph. My highway mpg's actually went up. I cruise normally near 80mph which is near the absolute lower limit with 3.07's and 6th [ Gen III ] but now when I have to slow down to 60-70mph I can still use 6th. Couldn't do that with 3.07's.

It dropped the noise in the cabin as well since I didn't have to hold it near the floor to maintain 70mph in 6th, now just barely have pressure on the go-pedal.

So I guess it depends on what you want to use the car for and what mods you have.

As a history lesson, most all the old MOPAR hot rods back in the late 60's early 70's that had 8.75" rear ends and a stick had 3.55's at a minimum and they had the same approximate dia. in the tires as do modern cars, about 27" total dia. The automatics had 3.23's for the most part. And no overdrive!

The 3.07's even by admission of the engineers were for emissions not performance.

I've got 3.55's and will not go back. Best investment I ever made and my 1/4 mile times are as good maybe a 10th better.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My plans are head work, 1.7s, full exhaust...I am deciding between 3.33 & 3.55 gears...I think I may go with the 3.45 set up from DC Perf. Does anyone have a 3.55 gear Gen II in AZ I could give a test drive in?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are you running 3:73? I have 3:73 in my viper but was told that they will eventually blow. Ever heard that? It was Dan at DC that told me that. I do have a couple spares in my garage. I really enjoy this gear setup.

No I'm not.

I was running 3.07's and went back to 3.07's. The 3.55's were a total waste of time and money. Not to mention that I got a ticket for speeding while picking the rear axle from Canada and they kept me 4 hours in customs due to radiation in my body... (stress test, but the customs had NO sence of humor, whatsoever...)

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't think there is any limiter on a Gen 2. No way I can see the Grail Keeper allowing that. I'm going to ask The Wizard for an opinion.

There is no "speed" limiter in a Viper! There is a rev limiter built into the PCM that shuts down the fuel pump when you go past red line so you wont blow her it up!:omg:

Stock RT/10's run out of ground effects about 180-185. Can you say kite? :eek:
Stock GTS 200 + :bolt:

Gears? My 2-cents, I like the 3:07's, it's a good all around gear and I have installed 3:45, 3:55 & 3:73's. It is really up to you and how you want to drive.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My plans are head work, 1.7s, full exhaust...I am deciding between 3.33 & 3.55 gears...I think I may go with the 3.45 set up from DC Perf. Does anyone have a 3.55 gear Gen II in AZ I could give a test drive in?

That would be me, the guy with the hi flow cats for sale:D

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I also have 3.55's in my 96 GTS and will never go back. If you need a ride and if Bigmike can't make it let me know.:D

SilverStreak

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Burntrubber

I am trying to decide between the 3:33 and 3:55 my mod list is same as yours. I have all except the heads. My goal is approx 600 rwhp N/A
I am in the same boat as you and am thinking possibly the 3:45s are a good compromise. Please let me know your opinion after taking a ride.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Burntrubber

I am trying to decide between the 3:33 and 3:55 my mod list is same as yours. I have all except the heads. My goal is approx 600 rwhp N/A
I am in the same boat as you and am thinking possibly the 3:45s are a good compromise. Please let me know your opinion after taking a ride.

I will, the great thing about 3.33 is the speed is 129 mph at 5500 rpms in 4th gear. I guess that is only important on a track, once I drive it I will let you know.

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes that was probably me I live in Centreville and work in Reston so I'm around that area a lot.
I currently have 3.55's and hate them. I have the Paxton on my 02 and love it, but when I shift to 5th gear at 130mph I lose it. With stock gears it would pull like a freight train up to 145mph. If anyone wants to swap stock 3.07's for 3.55's let me know!

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you cannot break your tires loose at almost any point in 1st or 2nd then your Viper is not running optimally. Switching gears only eliminates the advantage of the TQ generated by the big V10 - save your money and increase HP/TQ if you desire higher performance.

Gears are a cheap game for lesser cars attempting to catch the Viper.

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but if I were to put 19 inch rims on the back instead of the stock 17's (96 gts) would I need diff gears or will the stock ones be ok? I plan to roe it also if that matters.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have 3.55's and hate them. I have the Paxton on my 02 and love it, but when I shift to 5th gear at 130mph I lose it. With stock gears it would pull like a freight train up to 145mph. If anyone wants to swap stock 3.07's for 3.55's let me know!

That is exactly what my problem was. Pulls like a ***** monkey from 0-50, but I had NO advantage above 100MPH+ pulls... If you never take your Viper above 100, I would say go for it.

G

grcforce327

This may be a dumb question but if I were to put 19 inch rims on the back instead of the stock 17's (96 gts) would I need diff gears or will the stock ones be ok? I plan to roe it also if that matters.

I did that on my 94 and it works out to about 2.91 ratio.Unitrax just came out with a 3.21 that will put you back to about 3.04. A 3.33 will put you at 3.16, a 3.45 will be 3.27,and a 3.55 will be 3.37.This is of course with the ps1 or ps2 tire(from 26 dia to 27.4 dia). I really don't think it's a problem with high hp cars.

Unitrax - For driveline and differential parts and services. Using parts from the most reliable companies in the industry:Dana Spicer, American Axle, Timken, Gear Vendors, Torsen, Federal Mogul and Lucas Oils

Last edited by a moderator:

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly...the Gears did great things for me in a recent road race against a stock Viper and a modified Espirit...we really noticed the pull in 4th and 5th...we were surprised and taken back with how much the gears made at the higher speads...(140mph)

OKFireChief

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 3:55 gears in both my cars, a 99 RT/10 and 06 Coupe. I think they work better in the Gen 2 car than the Gen 3 ...

At Viper Days and other events, with the 06, I have to shift to 5th on a long strait where the other Gen 3's stay in 4th. If your shifting your losing time ... Also hits the rev limiter quick out of the corners ...

For me, the Gen 2 seems to preform a bit better with the 3:55's than the 3:07's. I have not done any tract events in the RT/10 (I'm a ABS wimp). They are just more fun on the street. Better take the advice of the Gen 2 owners who have track experience. Good luck!!!!

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With 550rwhp or more, 3.55 gears are a negative regardless which type of events you're doing. 1/4 mile requires a 4th-5th shift, on a course you lose it on the longer straights, and the same results on a highway roll.

Last edited:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes that was probably me I live in Centreville and work in Reston so I'm around that area a lot.

Doing a little research and came across this thread. Rich, did you put 3.55's in yet?

Also, you work in Reston? We should get together for lunch some time. I work on Sunrise Valley Drive just off Reston parkway.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will, the great thing about 3.33 is the speed is 129 mph at 5500 rpms in 4th gear. I guess that is only important on a track, once I drive it I will let you know.
Just curious, I am not a drag racer, so why do you want to run at 5500 rpms when the max HP/TQ is around 4400? Wouldn't you want to shift up earlier and keep it at the peak on the power curve? I guess its all about losing a tenth on the shift? So you are running flat out (stressing the engine more), less than max HP, and having to shift earlier. I don't see the advantage...it sounds like a lot of fun ripping through the gears as you tear around your neighborhood though. ;)

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peak power should be 5500 on these cars, if its only 4400 then theres something going on.

I could be wrong, but I believe on the Gen 1's the optimal time to shift...when you are at the optimum point in the power curves, is around 4500-4700 RMP...with about 390-425HP Gen 1s...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4