The Viper concepts so far...were there more?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the Viper Concept cars I could find. Nice lineage isn't it? Any others out there?

The first picture of a concept Viper from 1989, pretty plain Jane but raw beauty isn't it?

You must be registered for see images

The second edition concept of a Gen I still from 1989, but looks almost a little stubby like a Cobra...

Then in 1994, the GTS coupe concept.

The 2003 RT/10...

And of course, the one we have yet to see hit the streets, the 2003 concept GTS-R.

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And don't forget the mid engined Viper drawing. I think it was penned outside Chrysler, so I'm not sure if it counts. It did look cool though. I don't have a copy of it. Can someone post it?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The picture you have posted second, was actually the first show version. It appeared on the cover of Autoweek January 2nd, 1989. I beleive that was the clay model of the Viper?

As for the Mid-engine Viper, last time that got out there where some very angry people at DC. Lets just leave that one in our pocket for now. Once they say it is time, we will put it in the archives.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have offered us more than tech information. Yes they monitor our site. And many times they post valuable information through a group of members. They have even gone as far to post things under assumed names.

If you have a question it will get answered. Will you know if it is from someone at DC? No. Do you need a specific question answered? If so post it and someone will forward it on.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overall I would assume that DC is very happy about the response on the Chapter III Viper. Of the people that complained, it appears that only 4-5 of the dissapointed ones had actually seen the car in person. The rest of the dissapointed ones are based off of photos. This should make them happy: 1) the current model should keep it's value up, 2)the new car will be sold out! That is all they ask for.

Please do not quote me on this, but when the new Ram came out in 93-94(?) only 30% of the public loved it. Since Chrysler only had 12% of the market, they were trilled at the chance of doubling thier share. At least this was how Marty Levin explained it at the press confrence.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
And don't forget the mid engined Viper drawing. I think it was penned outside Chrysler, so I'm not sure if it counts. It did look cool though. I don't have a copy of it. Can someone post it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an older (very) limited press kit, with a bunch of slides in the back, that has a mid-engine Viper prototype in it. I would GLADLY post it or E-mail it to Andy IF I could figure out how to get it out of my scanner and into an E-mail.

Viper smart but cumputer stoopid

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If DC can read this. Don't strong arm the Future GTS for lack of sales for the 2003 RT. I think the 2003 will do quite well but it will never have the look of an original RT-10. Simply, the originals always will do well but it takes a stronger replacement to really make its mark. Of the Corvette cars, I think the gradual progression of their design got better and better until the 13+year lull in design. 1984-1997(?) The cars are virtually inseparable. I feel based on pictures alone (I have not seen the new roadster in person) that the new roadster will only be appealing in tech specs similar to the Z06 with its superiority at the mechanical and technilogical architecture. For the already ground shattering Viper, a change in specs isn't that earth shattering. I would hope that the roadster is reconsidered in the design stage. I hope that DC listens to the community and responds where they feel as strong as I do about the car.

Reaction score
I usually lurk but must speak out about the Gen-III. It has taken a step backwards in looks-it lost its originality.
I do not need to see the new convertible in person. If a picture doesn't do it justice, will that remark be printed in all the magazines every time the Gen-III is displayed?
The bold styling of the current Viper with performance to match is what made me make such an irrational purchase. I bought an R/T then just when I thought I had the sexiest car on earth, the GTS came out. Had to have it. Most Viper owners I've talked to mention getting used to the new Gen-III look. But I can tell you there was no getting used to the current look.

By the way, I also believe the Hemi should have been an option.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will not be any "lack of sales" for the 2003 true convertible, or the 04, or 05, etc. Many seem to be overlooking the fact that people, INCLUDING many non-owners right now, started lining up well over a year ago to get what WILL be the the most "blow away anything else" performance car that has EVER come out of the USA, and that includes our CURRENT snakes. The engineering on this new car is INCREDIBLE.

Now, still another YEAR away from delivery, the waiting list at your local Dodge dealer already extends around the building and down the block. Hmm, sounds just about the same as 89 to 92 for me. Add the fact we really don't even know what it's going to cost yet, and I feel REAL comfortable that Dodge is going to sell exactly the number of Vipers they want to, over the next few years, coupe or no coupe.

I confess that I was not overjoyed by the first pictures I saw, but, yes, once I had the chance to crawl over it in person, I had almost the same 1989 excitement. I'll probably do a little body work and soften the sharp right angle in the front gill on my car, but that's just my personal preference. The rest of it is perfect in my opinion. AND, adding all the extra horsepower and other new engineering tweaks is certainly going to balance out any visual issues anyway. I say THANKS Dodge and SVE, in a BIG way, for giving us most all the things we asked for in our owner meetings over the last few years. I'm a happy guy, and excited to be number one on the list at my dealer.

The visual appeal of our current car is perfection personified. How could anyone ever expect a new design to equal or exceed that? It's just not logical. Cars like that come along once in a decade if we're lucky, maybe a lifetime for some. For me, there have been three. The 64.5 Mustang, the Shelby Cobra, and the Viper. Yea, there were others that were "nice"....... some Vettes, Jags, Lambos, etc., but not "love at first sight". For Dodge to have improved upon perfection, or even equaled it again, is not expected by me.

Yes, I'm going to keep my current Viper too, but only because it's a coupe. If it was an RT/10, I'd trade it in a second for the new, true convertible..... lighter, faster, better engineered, AND the NEW baddest ride on the road!
BURNOUT.gif

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if DC monitors the site what do you think their feelings are about all the negativity surrounding the Gen III? Must be kinda depressing to hear everyone say it isn't nearly as good (body wise) as the Gen I or II. OK not everyone says that, but nearly everyone.

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have looked over the outside of the '03 convert for hours, sat in it several times & inspected the underside. DC can keep it or try to sell it to someone else. Reality is that they have already made something which we liked & we now own them. I think that they want a car with a more common design & features to sell many more cars to new owners. It will be difficult to accept the end of the original cars. We can continue to enjoy the cars that we have and easily have 500+ hp from the tuners. We don't need the new model.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WingKing,

Maybe, once I pour over the car as you have, I probably will feel the same way you do. Until then, like Matt Howell voiced, I usually lurk but must speak out about the Gen-III. It has taken a step backwards in looks-it lost its originality.
I do not need to see the new convertible in person. If a picture doesn't do it justice, will that remark be printed in all the magazines every time the Gen-III is displayed?
As far as oldies go... The 1978 IndyPaceCar Silver/Black Vette is a car that you overlooked. That car was my first love.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456