The Viper That Could Have Been

TCKTPLZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stumbled upon these pics in a rather good article in the VCA Notes by Roy Sjoberg. It is regarding a mid-engined Viper coupe concept that never came to fruition. Here are some pics I scanned from the article:

You must be registered for see images

It probably would have been hotter than hell having your head and back sitting less than a foot away from the engine bay, but it would have definitely been worth it in my opinion to see the monstrous V10 through the rear hatch. :headbang:

Looking at the pics, I think the side profile is awesome, but the front needs a little reworking. In terms of styling, I believe the manufactured GTS design, with the long front hood and short rear deck, looks more American, whereas this concept looks more European. I don't think I would give up my GTS for this, but I definitely think it looks cool nonetheless. Anyone feel the same way?

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice, it kinda reminds me of a Tommy Kaira ZZII!! :cool:

Although the irony is, if that had been the actual production car, we'd possibly be drooling over a black and white GTS pic right now lol. :laugh:

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
WOW, what an awesome concept car, definitely has that Ferrari killer look, but it's not a Viper :) Has the Gen2 wheels too....

Any way to get a reprint of this, looks like great reading?

Cal

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it alot. a lower roof line and finished backlight would really finish it off. I love how the Ford GT and Ferrari show the engine through the glass. It is very interesting that they even considered it enough to build one.

Jeff

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see some high end custom shop build one. I'm sure someone like a Chip Foose or 4 Axis can come up with one.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a copy of that issue of VCA notes...

30GT1Prototype-med.jpg

Check my gallery (sort by most views) for an oddly similar "concept" sketch.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, You should get it as a member of the VCA. I got mine last week. If you don't I'll be glad to copy and send it to you. Let me know.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that is has been revealed that the factory was in fact working on this project, I can better understand the reaction to my original drawing that first appeared in the NY/CT Regional newsletter, and was later reprinted in another Regional VCA newsletter.

I have heard bits and pieces about this over the years, but now I "get it", the drawing was indeed pretty close to what was being secretly prototyped.

Now that this has been revealed, perhaps more photos and materials can be released to those further interested in this fascinating footnote in Viper history.

BTW - If anyone has a clean copy of this issue of VCA Notes that they can part with, please let me know.

30GT1Prototype-med.jpg

"This image first appeared in the NY/CT VCA newsletter, in the summer of 1996. Since then it has had an interesting life, often reproduced without any attribution, and once even being mistaken for proof that a mid-engined Viper was being worked on by the factory, - and another time it was mistaken by the factory to be a "leak" of the mid-engined project that I guess they must have been working on after all!
I drew it originally back in the spring of 1996, thinking that the then-new GTS was like the Cobra Daytona, and the original RT/10 was like the 427 Cobra, I had figured a Viper version of the GT40 could not be far behind, hence this mid-engined Viper... "

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'd save my pennys for that. I think that would have been a respectible continuation of the GenII and could have easily incorporated the developments of the ME12 project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960