They totaled my Viper today

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my Viper over to Lake Norman Dodge and Chysler on Monday for an oil change, fix my a/c, and to put a new Gen 4 hood on, replacing the Gen 4 Lemke hood already on the car.

I had the new Gen 4 hood shipped to the dealer from Chuck Tator. Chuck talked to the manager at Lake Norman Dodge and told them it was an easy install, the hood was already painted and polished, and they did not need to take the car to their body shop, which was several miles away.

Well, they decided to drive the car to the body shop anyway, against my wishes and against Chucks advice. I told them the car was modded and I didnt want them driving it off the property. They drove it anyway and the kid downshifted and stepped on the gas and the car got away from him, spun off the road, went down an embankment and into the woods.

These clowns totaled my Viper. I had close to $25,000 in mods to the Viper, now I have to deal with their insurance adjuster....

Anyone got any advice?:mad:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow that really *****, I would get a lawyer...

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I told my wfe I was getting an attorney tomorrow. I emailed Jon B a little while ago. He is at VIR for the Viper event.

Its wierd..I am so furious I am actuallly numb. This was my baby...even when I get another one...she was my first Viper. It wont be the same.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what a Fuc&in disgrase, Straight up AMETURE NIGHT:mad:.

Be sure to post in your VCA region's section to give others a heads-up/warning...

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would start calling lawyers to get one lined up in case they don't offer to give you what you're entitled. Sounds like their actions are clearly into the negligent range - you told them not to drive it, someone else told them not to drive it, and they put someone behind the wheel who clearly wasn't capable of driving that car. At least this one will be easy to lay blame. Gather all your receipts, and hopefully you have a log of all the time you put into it (most people put a note on their wall calendars when they plan to set aside time to do major work on their cars, so I'm sure you did that).

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you settle make sure you get the damaged car back. There is a big market for used parts if you don't use them on the new car. I'd insist the dealer buy you a new car preferably an ACR. Get a lawyer.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is good to see you post again. It is not good to see the subject you posted about. Look at the bright side of it, you will end up with a new Viper to mod. Did the kid that wrecked it vote for Obama or McCain? Sorry Keith. I could not resist. Call if you want to ventilate.

Best,

Bob

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Sarah Palin was in the passenger seat...thats all I know so far. :(

V

Venomiss

Get everything documented that you have done to the car.

Start calling those dealerships that are big dealers for Vipers.
Woodhouse & Tomball for starters.
Get at least three quotes from them on hand to what your car was worth.

See if you have any past photos of the car before, during , and after modifying.

If you have problems you can probably look up the insurance commissioner for your state online. They might be able to give you advice too.

Did you take any photos of the Viper before leaving it with the dealership?
Odometer?

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get everything documented that you have done to the car.

Start calling those dealerships that are big dealers for Vipers.
Woodhouse & Tomball for starters.
Get at least three quotes from them on hand to what your car was worth.

See if you have any past photos of the car before, during , and after modifying.

If you have problems you can probably look up the insurance commissioner for your state online. They might be able to give you advice too.

Did you take any photos of the Viper before leaving it with the dealership?
Odometer?
Yeah, we have several pictures of the car. Odometer was just over 24k miles. Thanks for the advice about calling the dealers. I will do that first thing tomorrow.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Lake Norman Chrysler in the Charlotte, N.C. area near
Cornelius?
It is an unfortunate situation that should never have happened had they honored your instructions. It might be wise to contact Chuck Tator to inform him of the accident and verify who he spoke with and what was said.
I hope that you obtain a rapid and satisfactory resolution.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Lake Norman Chrysler in the Charlotte, N.C. area near
Cornelius?
It is an unfortunate situation that should never have happened had they honored your instructions. It might be wise to contact Chuck Tator to inform him of the accident and verify who he spoke with and what was said.
I hope that you obtain a rapid and satisfactory resolution.

Yeah, the town borders Charlotte. I took it there b/c they have installed a few supercharges on Vipers so I thought they knew what they were doing. I should have known better. When I pulled the Viper into the service area practically the entire service dept stopped what they were doing to come over and hear and see the car. I was like, "dont they see Vipers all the time? Why the reaction?" Then I noticed there was not a single Viper on the premises.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In cases like this, hopefully you had someone else do all the labor on the mods for you. It's a lot easier to monetize the value of the mods when you have receipts on hand... I know I went through hell in a situation where I had to have something replaced and I did all the work on it myself. They seem to have a hard time putting a dollar value on work that you do yourself until you fight with them like crazy.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In cases like this, hopefully you had someone else do all the labor on the mods for you.

i'd assume the work was done by others considering he was paying a dealership to put a HOOD on his car:)

Lee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the car - I'ld rather knock heads with you on political topics than hear about this kind of reckless action.

Best of luck to you!!!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW!!!! I can't even imagine how you feel! I know I would be part of owner of a dealership if this happened to me!

SUE SUE SUE! There was no point for them to drive it! My custom truck had some storm damage after a shingle blew off the house and hit the hood. I got it repaired, but the body shop put almost 5 miles on my truck after it was repainted? Yeah it's only 5 miles, but someone must have been hot rodding it because it shifted like crap when I got it back. I just don't see how people can do that type of stuff when they know something bad could happen on the road... Hello they fix cars for a living....

Best of luck with the Viper! I hope they can replace it! or cut you a fat check!!!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This happened to me a few years back. File with your insurance company and let them subrogate to the shops insurance. That's what you pay premiums for.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. I got an estimate for some paint work on the sills a few months ago. I was in the parking lot and I was about to agree to the deal. I told the guy that nobody should drive the car when I bring it in. He shluffed it off like why would we want to drive your car. So I said let me think about it. He heads back into the shop and I start to get into my car to leave and two kids in mechanic uniforms like 19 or 20 years old come out of the shop and they are grinning and one kids looks over at me and says... Ooooh... Nice car Mang...!

Never went back there...

I even got the impression that the guys at the dealer who did my pre-purchase inspection 800 miles away took the car out and gave it a good Go...

No matter where you take these cars there is going to be some punk conspiring to take it out and run it good so they can talk $hit about it...

Back in 1981 I bought a brand new 280ZX... I brought it back to the dealer for the 5,000 mile service and left it there. I came back that night and went to the cashier to pay and get my receipt. I said where are the keys ? Oh.. they must be in the car she says. Walked the lot only to find the car had been stolen. I was flipping out and told them to give me another car on the spot (I was 21)... They said sorry but this is strictly a matter for your insurance. I came away OK because I got a great deal when I bought it. I recall breaking even and they even reimbursed me for a radar detector and some personal effects that were in the car. They found the car about a year later on the Whitestone Expressway and asked me if I wanted what was left of it for $1,500.

I think if you have all of your receipts and you can substantiate everything you should come away OK. You may want to give your insurance policy a real good read if you haven't already done so.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this Man:( Best of luck to you on the outcome.

Andy Wheeler

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a call to bob pantax might be a good place to start tonight. then make sure to get with jonB as soon as he is avail.

glad to see you back posting but not happy about the reason you're posting this. sorry to hear this !

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your car was one of my favs....Hope you get get 55K plus or a new 2010

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Twister. She was definitely a lot of fun. All n/a, and I terrorized Z06's weekly here in the Charlotte area. I ran up on a black 2009 Z06 about two weeks ago with my wife in the car, he was alone, he hit first, I hit, fishtailed up to 4000 rpm, gripped, started pulling the Z, then shifted into third and was about to walk him...we had to get out of it then...my wife was screaming at me and made me take her home.....

Those were the good ole days...hopefully it wont be too much time before I will be having those days again.

Bob Pantax was nice enough to take my call. He gave me some excellent info. :2tu:

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad news Keith, they need to make you whole.
If not, there is the right way and the legal way, and one is much more expensive.
Call JonB, he has helped many on here deal with insurance companies.
Collect all your receipts, and bang heads with the insurance company.
If you say you have an attorney, or plan to sue, they will turn it over to their legal department, so remain calm and professional and take them to the cleaners.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that stinks bm1

don't bet on your insurance being any real help (if they are, please post who they are so i can switch to them)

their actions crossed into negligence, and that is where your real recovery will be

sorry for your loss

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be one BIG hassle on your part and I feel for you. Insurance companies are a scam when it comes to paying you anything near what you had into the car. But dont be late on your premium. If it goes to court it will drag on too. Hopefully this dealer has some class (most dont) and will take care of it one way or the other.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have nightmares about this kinda thing. I feel your pain. I have had a young kid take out one of my cars that was in for service. (It didn't get totalled) It was there for an oil change - not a test drive! Unfortunately, as said above, young co-op students or mechanics just can't wait to get behind the wheel of a cool car that comes through the shop. They will look for any excuse to go for a test drive.
I'm not a vengeful person but I think you should really give the service manager and owner a tough time over this to let them know they can't have idiots test driving the cool cars. All Dodge dealerships should have an in house system whereby only the senior and responsible mechanic can have access to the key.
Hope all goes well from here on in.

Last edited:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is good to see you post again. It is not good to see the subject you posted about. Look at the bright side of it, you will end up with a new Viper to mod. Did the kid that wrecked it vote for Obama or McCain? Sorry Keith. I could not resist. Call if you want to ventilate.

Best,

Bob

Damn you beat me to it.

Mamba

Sorry to hear about the car, but just write it off to redistribution of you car to us poor folks. Again I couldnt help it, sorry. Hope everything works out, time to upgrade. Do it before the taxes go up:lmao: Damn it, I have a problem, thank god I have obama care to help me with it. Damn, I cant stop. Im turning off the computer.:dunno::usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave