They totaled my Viper today

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that if agreed value insurance was not in place then it will be up to the dealer and/or the body shop(who ever is deemed at fault) to pay the difference of what their insurance doesn't pay. And I am willing to bet that will be one hell of a fight too. I guess I am just numb to the world. It sadly seems that we live in a world now where the masses live by the rule thats "Its not my fault" and "I just dont give a damn". And the ones that seem to display these characteristics the most is the businessess we give our hard earned money to especially when they have done wrong to the tune of having to dip into their own wallets. I cant wait to see who is actually ruled at fault. In fact blackmamba has anyone stepped up and admited fault yet or have I miised that detail in the thread???

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my Viper over to Lake Norman Dodge and Chysler on Monday for an oil change, fix my a/c, and to put a new Gen 4 hood on, replacing the Gen 4 Lemke hood already on the car.

I had the new Gen 4 hood shipped to the dealer from Chuck Tator. Chuck talked to the manager at Lake Norman Dodge and told them it was an easy install, the hood was already painted and polished, and they did not need to take the car to their body shop, which was several miles away.

Well, they decided to drive the car to the body shop anyway, against my wishes and against Chucks advice. I told them the car was modded and I didnt want them driving it off the property. They drove it anyway and the kid downshifted and stepped on the gas and the car got away from him, spun off the road, went down an embankment and into the woods.

These clowns totaled my Viper. I had close to $25,000 in mods to the Viper, now I have to deal with their insurance adjuster....

Anyone got any advice?:mad:

Absolutely amazing. Just now seeing the post, saw a recent email on it, good luck.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you prove to insurance that the value of you car "rebuilt" or salvaged title is less it is their responsibility to make up the value - that's why I suggested asking for $8,000 or installed supercharger kit to be paid for by them which would offset the value of the wreck with after market goodies increasing the value of your car back to it's "Unrebuilt title" value.

Ted

.....But yes I agree there will still be a dimishied value and if the car is repaired you should get diminished value especially since you were not at fault for the accident.
I have learned all these things the hard way over the years by dealing with the scaming jerks and I am just passing along info on the way things work in the insurance world.....

i don't want to hijack the thread so i'm starting a new thread about diminished value, pls post helps you may have,

thanks

http://forums.viperclub.org/general...erent-diminished-value-helps.html#post2863803

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My god I really sound like a miserable person and I am sorry to everyone. I have been nothing but negative on this thread and that is not my character its just I HATE HATE HATE insurance companies with all my heart I have changed insurance 3 times in my 15 years of driving becuase of crap like this and the fact that they raise like theres no tomorrow. I have a perfect driving record as far as tickets go and never been late on any bi-annual premium payment but they just keep on jacking the premiums every time you walk in to pay for a service that you may or may not ever use. I would be money ahead to drive like an idiot so maybe I can at least use their overpriced service that I pay so dearly for. Rant over....
But on a lighter side BlackMamba your car is badda-- for sure and I hope you can get her back on the road or replaced soon and back to putting all those Z06's in their place;). But you better stay safe out there hauling butt like that:2tu: Oh BlackMamba you have PM:drive:

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree that if agreed value insurance was not in place then it will be up to the dealer and/or the body shop(who ever is deemed at fault) to pay the difference of what their insurance doesn't pay. And I am willing to bet that will be one hell of a fight too. I guess I am just numb to the world. It sadly seems that we live in a world now where the masses live by the rule thats "Its not my fault" and "I just dont give a damn". And the ones that seem to display these characteristics the most is the businessess we give our hard earned money to especially when they have done wrong to the tune of having to dip into their own wallets. I cant wait to see who is actually ruled at fault. In fact blackmamba has anyone stepped up and admited fault yet or have I miised that detail in the thread???

I totally agree with you here and I hope that this will be a fast and fair settlement for BlackMamba, but I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday and do understand that the vast majority of encounters today are not that way.

The only thing he has going for him is the dealer probably wants to put this behind him and get it out of the papers and off the internet ASAP.

As you suggest this could also go really poorly if the dealer and / or the body shop take the approach that "we are going to give you nothing" at which point he is going to need to sue.

If that happens, I would also take a full page ad out in the local paper and explain my side of things. When the service department sales drop 30%, it may give them some incentive to settle.
I did the same thing a number of years back when Porsche decided they were not going to warrantee a motor failure on a 6000 mile 911. When I presented them with the receipt for the add booking in the NY Times and a copy of the add, they quickly changed their minds, provided a new engine, and reimbursed me for the add as well, of course I did need to cancel it from running.

Last edited:

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting
July 9 10:25am the link to the Viper Truck Club of America for the post about the accident was working. (post #61)
July 9 at 4:12pm the Club moderator or Site Owner pulled the thread off the site. (post #92)
Now via Google/cach you see this:
"That's how I felt when I rolled up on the accident, it's in the hands of the body shop. My shop isn't at fault thank God"
Two comments-
-Is this indicative of the level of honesty for that forum, that they remove threads in order to cover for a member?
-It seems to me it's clear someone is not just at fault but legally 100% negligent as well.
Sadly I'd take this to the best attorney around then go to court unless I was provided with an outcome that was appropriate.
Very sorry to hear this has happened and that no people were hurt. Ms Rapps
EDIT!!! "I'm very sorry to hear this has happened and GLAD no people were hurt"

Attachments

• Viper Dealer & truck forum post July 15.jpg
    Viper Dealer & truck forum post July 15.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 82

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting
July 9 10:25am the link to the Viper Truck Club of America for the post about the accident was working. (post #61)
July 9 at 4:12pm the Club moderator or Site Owner pulled the thread off the site. (post #92)
Now via Google/cach you see this:
"That's how I felt when I rolled up on the accident, it's in the hands of the body shop. My shop isn't at fault thank God"
Two comments-
-Is this indicative of the level of honesty for that forum, that they remove threads in order to cover for a member?
-It seems to me it's clear someone is not just at fault but legally 100% negligent as well.
Sadly I'd take this to the best attorney around then go to court unless I was provided with an outcome that was appropriate.
Very sorry to hear this has happened and that no people were hurt. Ms Rapps
EDIT!!! "I'm very sorry to hear this has happened and GLAD no people were hurt"

My attorney would be serving the owners of that site with a subpeona to turn over all records and system backups along with an invitation to come and visit his office for a nice deposition.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is crazy money! I have my 09 insured for $85,000 and I pay about $1000.00. My 04 was insured for $55,000 and I paid around $800.00

Here in BC we have Government insurance. It's just another tax.

Mortgage insurance is a matter of we've been getting ripped off ever since 9/11 "becuase we need to pay for the World Trade center". I cancelled it as it's become unreasonable. A couple of the fancier Log House (read mansion?) owners pay nearly $10,000 for house insurance.

Kinda like the way we pay $4.50+ (us gal) for gas from BC and Alberta. We can buy our gas for $2.50 if we go to Wash., Ore, Idaho, California, etc. but OUR Taxes are probably teh highest in North America. Like our Beer being $2.00 for 1 can!

But ... we do have the absolute best scenery in the world. And it's still safe here.

Ted

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in BC we have Government insurance. It's just another tax.

Mortgage insurance is a matter of we've been getting ripped off ever since 9/11 "becuase we need to pay for the World Trade center". I cancelled it as it's become unreasonable. A couple of the fancier Log House (read mansion?) owners pay nearly $10,000 for house insurance.

Kinda like the way we pay $4.50+ (us gal) for gas from BC and Alberta. We can buy our gas for $2.50 if we go to Wash., Ore, Idaho, California, etc. but OUR Taxes are probably teh highest in North America. Like our Beer being $2.00 for 1 can!

But ... we do have the absolute best scenery in the world. And it's still safe here.
Ted

Ted, now I don't feel so bad about living in NY any longer! Every day I get out of bed, I think about getting hosed with Federal, State, County and Local taxes. Sounds like it is worse there, but you do have nationwide (Government) heath care, what do you pay for that and is it any good?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted, now I don't feel so bad about living in NY any longer! Every day I get out of bed, I think about getting hosed with Federal, State, County and Local taxes. Sounds like it is worse there, but you do have nationwide (Government) heath care, what do you pay for that and is it any good?

I definitely think that you can continue to feel bad about living in New York as I read that it is one of the worst. I think that after driving, all fuels, booze and tons of license fees we are only about the top 20 areas getting ripped off by the taxes. You guys are in the top 4?

Our medical was great. Now it's OK except in Vancouver where they once in a while shut down the hospitals because they have 12 hour waits for Emergency care and ... Because the Gov is doing 'cutbacks' sugeries are often wait for 3-6 months. MRI scans are a year+ wait list. My wife is a Federal employee so her job pays for my standard medical plan and 60% of my Dental plus other medical (ambulance?) expences are covered with her Blue Cross private plan. Yah, a decent job means two plans and they're worth about $1200 each (?) for a couple.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both types. Many Canadians go the US and pay for medical treatment if you're in a hurry. Thailand and several other places are becoming "Medical Tourism attractions" because they have Hi quality care and cheap prices.

Sorry for stealing your thread. I'm too healthy to have a real valid opinion on this subject. Send me a PM if you want details of have questions?

Ted

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should start some type of pool and guess what the insurance company is going to offer, assuming they total the car.

My guess is $42300.00

I would then think you could sue in small claims court the dealership and the body shop separately for different things for the maximum allowed in your State....so maybe $5000.00 from each one. I'm not sure how the courts would see this regarding one car, maybe sue one for diminished future sales value and one for negligence.

I'm sure one of the lawyers on the forum will tell us how this might be done or if at all possible.

I'm afraid that if they do pay you something in the $40k range, trying to sue using lawyers for another $10k-$20k might get kind of expensive having to pay for legal council.

I now know I should have married a girl whose brother is an attorney :lmao:

Good luck,
George

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw an attorney this morning. He said I have a very strong case to recover more than I am actually asking for. But I prefer to just handle this like gentlemen, and hopefully this wont end up in court. I am not going for all the emotional strain and stress unless it actually ends up in court.

By the way, I am selling my old Gen 4 hood. It was taken off the car before the wreck and besides about 10 pin hole sized spots where the paint chipped off, it is in perfect condition. I have all the hardware that comes with it, screens, bolts, insulation, etc. PM me if you are interested. As you know, new ones are like 3 grand or something now by time you get the screens, insulation pad, etc.

Last edited:

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't believe they let a kid drive it (I'm assuming he made it out ok). I think the best advice has already been given, but I thought I'd offer my condolences. I have nightmares about my Viper being destroyed in a myriad of different ways...that's no joke. Harsh! Don't worry, my guess is you'll be in good shape in no time. May be too soon to start suggesting cosmetics, but BLACK is an EXCELLENT color on a Viper. With gray stripes!

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw an attorney this morning. He said I have a very strong case to recover more than I am actually asking for. But I prefer to just handle this like gentlemen, and hopefully this wont end up in court. I am not going for all the emotional strain and stress unless it actually ends up in court.

By the way, I am selling my old Gen 4 hood. It was taken off the car before the wreck and besides about 10 pin hole sized spots where the paint chipped off, it is in perfect condition. I have all the hardware that comes with it, screens, bolts, insulation, etc. PM me if you are interested. As you know, new ones are like 3 grand or something now by time you get the screens, insulation pad, etc.

Sounds great, I am hoping for the best outcome. Hopefully the dealership and body shop owners also just want to put this behind them and you can all come to an agreeable settlement.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is going to be a write off? I thought you were going to fix it?

Buy the way, my 29,000mile wrecked 98 GTS Roe supercharged Viper (serious front end damage) sold for $17,800 Cdn when it was sold 4 years ago. Keep in mind that your car has a serious value even though it's wrecked. What they can sell you wreck for is also worth your attention.

I'd advise that you write a letter stating the work, parts and tuner information (receipts would be helpful). The letter would show that you're trying to help the insurance company decrease their losses (looks great in court).

Ted

Last edited:

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with you here and I hope that this will be a fast and fair settlement for BlackMamba, but I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday and do understand that the vast majority of encounters today are not that way.

The only thing he has going for him is the dealer probably wants to put this behind him and get it out of the papers and off the internet ASAP.

As you suggest this could also go really poorly if the dealer and / or the body shop take the approach that "we are going to give you nothing" at which point he is going to need to sue.

If that happens, I would also take a full page ad out in the local paper and explain my side of things. When the service department sales drop 30%, it may give them some incentive to settle.
I did the same thing a number of years back when Porsche decided they were not going to warrantee a motor failure on a 6000 mile 911. When I presented them with the receipt for the add booking in the NY Times and a copy of the add, they quickly changed their minds, provided a new engine, and reimbursed me for the add as well, of course I did need to cancel it from running.

You the MAN:headbang:

Just wondering how much was the add?

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You the MAN:headbang:

Just wondering how much was the add?

$6500 back in 1978 and as it turned out a ton of 2978 911SCs ended up with defective valve springs which caused the engine failures. They tried to tell me I overrevved the engine, I said, sorry thats why you have the rev limiter, then they said oh you must have over revved it on a downshift. OK, we will see who wins when I tell the entire NY tri state area that Porsche does not stand behind their warrantees.

Last edited:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$6500 back in 1978 and as it turned out a ton of 2978 911SCs ended up with defective valve springs which caused the engine failures. They tried to tell me I overrevved the engine, I said, sorry thats why you have the rev limiter, then they said oh you must have over revved it on a downshift. OK, we will see who wins when I tell the entire NY tri state area that Porsche does not stand behind their warrantees.

That was quite gamble you took. You really know how to play hardball. Please start another thread or write a book of other things similar things you have done so we can learn from the master. :eater:

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is going to be a write off? I thought you were going to fix it?

Buy the way, my 29,000mile wrecked 98 GTS Roe supercharged Viper (serious front end damage) sold for $17,800 Cdn when it was sold 4 years ago. Keep in mind that your car has a serious value even though it's wrecked. What they can sell you wreck for is also worth your attention.

I'd advise that you write a letter stating the work, parts and tuner information (receipts would be helpful). The letter would show that you're trying to help the insurance company decrease their losses (looks great in court).

Ted
If I just let them fix it they get away with diminishing the value of my Viper by $30,000 or more! No way in hell am I going to accept that. It would be different if I wrecked on their property, or even if some old lady backed into it by accident...

BUT.....

They had an employee HOT DOGGING IN MY ****ING VIPER!! I didnt know he was hot dogging my car at the time he came out and apologized to me. Had I known that then I might have ended up in jail that day. The only way I found out was the manager of the body shop told me, so did the estimator and the body shop its now at. The street leaving the body shop is a long straightaway...and the temptation is just too strong. As a matter of fact, there are like 4 car dealerships in the area, and they all go to that straightaway to "test drive" the cars they fix. The few times I have been on that street I constantly see guys gunning customer cars.

One more thing, a guy just PM'ed me and he told me that what happened to me motivated him to call his insurance company to see how they would handle a situation like this. Guess what, his company does not cover any other drivers....If I were you guys I would be calling my insurance company first thing in the morning to see what kind of protection you have against this kind of ****ing nightmare.

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was quite gamble you took. You really know how to play hardball. Please start another thread or write a book of other things similar things you have done so we can learn from the master. :eater:

No master, I just have a real, real strong sense of right and wrong, which is why I have taken a keen interest in this thread.

In the case of the Porsche it turned out to be a very youg regional support manager who wanted to make a name for himself by saving the company the cost of an engine at my espense.

In this case the owner can't play hardball with their insurance company, they have nothing to gain or loose, and I believe they shouldn't even be involved, but I don't know anything about NC insurance law.

However that is not the case with the dealership and body shops and their perspective owners who both stand to lose a substantial amount of business if this goes on and the public is constantly remined of how their employees abuse customer cars.

Chrysler may not also like the dealer getting such bad publicity either, it has to hurt new car sales.

I think Black Mamba is on the right track here. I pray he can bring this to a quick and sucessful conclusion and get on with life.

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After this thread I also called my Ins company and asked what my 03 Viper was worth in an accident. I'm switching to Grundy with a 44K policy for $500 less a year. This thread really opened up my eyes on the "what-if."

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just fix it and drive the wheels off it after they pay to fix and diminished value. you cant win int his case either way

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After this thread I also called my Ins company and asked what my 03 Viper was worth in an accident. I'm switching to Grundy with a 44K policy for $500 less a year. This thread really opened up my eyes on the "what-if."
I was under the impression that Grundy doesn't allow many miles of driving per year on an agreed value policy. Have they changed that? Just curious...

2003 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Grundy doesn't allow many miles of driving per year on an agreed value policy. Have they changed that? Just curious...

Kala, they don't care about the miles. You can not use the car as a DD and it must be secured in a garage with no one under 25 driving the car. Give them a call.

My 08 ZO6 is $119 a month and it is my DD. ( Allstate )
The Viper is $646 a year with an agreed value of $44K ( Grundy )

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a black Z06 yesterday and instinctively I maneurvered thru traffic to catch him so we could trade info, or......

Anyway, after about a mile or two I realized I really couldnt catch him cuz I was in the 4000 lb 6 cylinder Challenger and even if I did catch him..he might not even pay me any attention. The days of getting his attention and pulling over at a gas station to talk cars and talk about doing cruises together....

are over for now. Six cylinder Challengers get looks...but not respect. :(

Today I was out running errands and I saw so many Vettes I just turned around and went back home. I feel like a deer hunter thats been hunting bucks for 6 yrs who is all of a sudden in the woods and sees bucks everywhere....but instead of his hunting rifle...all he has is a stick and some rocks.

This is bull****. I feel like going over to that body shop that wrecked my Viper and.....:censored:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. I am not going for all the emotional strain and stress unless it actually ends up in cout.

It appears after your last post that you are indeed going through emotional strain and stress. Being a gentleman is often overrated. I probably would do the same and go for the total replacement value but if they gave me any s#@* at all I would not think twice about making them payout the max allowed by court.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is your goal this week? You going to follow through with the lawyer?

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a black Z06 yesterday and instinctively I maneurvered thru traffic to catch him so we could trade info, or......

Anyway, after about a mile or two I realized I really couldnt catch him cuz I was in the 4000 lb 6 cylinder Challenger and even if I did catch him..he might not even pay me any attention. The days of getting his attention and pulling over at a gas station to talk cars and talk about doing cruises together....

are over for now. Six cylinder Challengers get looks...but not respect. :(

Today I was out running errands and I saw so many Vettes I just turned around and went back home. I feel like a deer hunter thats been hunting bucks for 6 yrs who is all of a sudden in the woods and sees bucks everywhere....but instead of his hunting rifle...all he has is a stick and some rocks.

This is bull****. I feel like going over to that body shop that wrecked my Viper and.....:censored:

A person that can kill a deer with a stick and some rocks is quite talented. I would bet that he or she might have figured out that a rock could be tied to the stick to make a club, or if the rock is chipped, an ax. The rest is the use of stealth while tracking and clsoing in on the deer. Bow hunters do it all the time.

So, what you need to do is sneak up on the Vette and then beat his reaction time at the light. You will only win for a second or less but it will be a glorious second or less. Of course I am typing about a light on a drag strip.

OP
OP
black mamba1

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is your goal this week? You going to follow through with the lawyer?

I submitted what I am looking for those responsible to do this past Thursday. I will give them until 5 pm Tuesday to respond. If I dont like what I hear the attorneys take over. I talked to my attorney last Thursday moring prior to submitting my settlement figures to the dealership and the body shop.

I want to give them time to verify the receipts and the value of the car before I unleash the legal gorillas, as that may not be necessary. But if it is necessary I am prepared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang