Those who have owned a GTS and a SRT-10

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the SRT-10 cooler inside to drive? Any other improvments or things you think are worse.

I went and looked at a couple of SRT-10s this weekend. One red one silver. I was pleasantly surprised how much better they looked as compare to what I'd seen on the web or in magazines. Got me thinking Viper again.

TIA,
Carl

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's kind of hard to say. They both get hot. The SRT has a more cramped-feeling cockpit, but is supposed to have a much upgraded HVAC system. The GTS will freeze your nuts while your feet roast.

With the top down, the SRT's visors can be angled to provide plenty of useful ventilation to the lap and footwell areas. That is, as long as you're moving.

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2000 GTS and now a silver SRT-10
The A/C works much better in the 2003 and the brakes are a big improvement. The only complaint I have is that the wind noise is much worse in the 2003. I have not had a rag top in many years but I expected the noise level to be better with the top up. It leaks about ear level toward the back of the window.
Anyone else notice the noise or does mine need to be adjusted.
I had not seen a 2003 before mine arrive 2 weeks ago and I was very happy with how it looked in person. Nearly all my friends and my wife like the 2003 styling better than the 2000. The 2000 will always be a classic but it was time for a change.
just my opinion.
larry

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought an 03 from Woodhouse, and drove it back to Fort Worth Tex. This is my seventh Viper and I love it. As Larry said there is more wind noise and a little more road noise. The drive is different, but not worse over all. All who see this car like it much better than the former. YOu will love the veiw looking out from in the car, I mean the hood and fenders. There are a few angles on the car that are, well strange, but the old style had them also. I'm sure you will love the car. I'm very perticuler about how a car should be, and it's passed for me. I was tired of the old Viper. There are a diehards out there that refuse to accept change, but in some ways they are right about the classic look being gone. I think this new look is modern as you can get. Hope you get one.

Skip [email protected]

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Skip. I do not think the wind noise is that bad. I drove back from Vegas this weekend and there is a four lane highway from Hoover Dam to Kingman, Arizona. I was going over 120 for some distance and the wind noise really was not that noticeable(top up). I look forward to the next coupe. If PVO is reading these posts, just put my order in!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wind noise is Waay less than an RT/10. You can hold a discussion at highway speeds, which is near impossible in an RT/10. With a little more exhaust note (needed) it won't be an issue. Wind aided hairdo's, especially those in the y chromosone seat, are reduced significantly as well.

OP
OP
C

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied. I'll post if it happens.

Later,

Carl

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carl.
I have a silver SRT-10 in Rancho Bernardo. If you need to get a ride to make your decision give me a PM, and we'll hook up. Quick run down I-15 should answer all your questions.
I have a little wind noise from the passenger side mirror. Drivers side quiet. GTS's windows used to pull out from their frames over 120 mph. SRT-10 has windows sealed inside channel to avoid this.
P.

Reaction score
My SRT is my 5th Viper and I love it. Better handling (balance, brakes). Skip's comment on the view(front) is on target. To me the view it like that of a ALMS LMP. I really enjoy driving the SRT. The seats hold you better the gas brake relationship is very good for heel and toe.
The CD player is much better. I have not noticed the wind noise, mentioned by others.

My first Viper was a RT10 followed by three GTSs'. When I took delivery of the GTS the RT stayed parked(4 yrs) except for an exercise run once a month. Now my GTSs' are parked and the SRT10 is the main Snake ride. The SRT is also much easier to keep clean.

To me the styling is great for a rag top and can not be compared to a coupe. In the past couple weeks the car has had many positive comments and zero that suggest the old model is better looking. Three males in a BMW M3 stopped and commented that they liked the styling much better. Some of us like redheads, some blonds and some brunettes. And there are those who like them all.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree Viperfreak but hitting the wiper looks even dorkier (is that a word?).

I do miss being able to turn the fog lamps on without the headlights on for daytime cruising.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do miss being able to turn the fog lamps on without the headlights on for daytime cruising.

I agree 100% - you did miss being able to turn on the foglights without the headlights on - because you can! Pull the stalk out to turn on the foglights when it is only in the parking lamp position. This is the same as the previous Vipers, only in a different place. To my knowledge you could never turn on the foglights without the parking lights - unless it was a daytime running light thing in Canada... ;)

Chris

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the wind noise. It is annoying. I also think that the seating position is a bit strange in the SRT. There's something about the way the seat and pedals (yes I know they move) are set up that I just can't get comfortable with. One other nit pick...I HATE the radio. It is all bass and treble. There are no mid range frequencies. Also, the bass makes the entire rear speaker enclosure rattle so bad that you can't hear the music, even at moderate volumes. Does anyone else have the speaker problem?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris there was a "fix" you could apply to Gen I/II that would allow the fog lamps to be used anytime the ignition was on. I tend to leave the switch on all the time such that the fog lamps are always on. Without the parking or headlights. Not heard of something similar for the SRT. Especially with the integrated switch as that makes it more difficult.

Reaction score
Play only CD's and have no speaker problems. Much better sound then GEN I and II.

Seating position is improved over GEN I and II, pedal arrangement to seat is more in line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi