Thread size on shifter

1OF76RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed my stock shifter and took it to a machine shop to have them shorten it about an inch. They cut off the bottom of the shaft, drilled out a new hole and tapped in new threads. The machinist thought the tap felt a bit loose in the cut off piece but was sure it was the right one. Long story short, after 3 trips to him it will still not thread on the shaft. I cant believe that this could be a problem for them after seeing all there other work there. Anyways does anyone know what the thread count is and if it is metric or standard thread so I can tell them before there is nothing left of it

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my Gen 1, the thread into the shifter handle and that into the shifter mechanism are different. One is metric, the other end English. 1/2-20 on one end for sure... but not all the way.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On my Gen 1, the thread into the shifter handle and that into the shifter mechanism are different. One is metric, the other end English. 1/2-20 on one end for sure... but not all the way.

Correct, the bottom of the isolator is a different thread.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
12MM x 1.25 is very close to 1/2"-20, close enough that components will thread together but be loose.

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I started a thread where I would do this mod. I shorten them 2". $25 and it includes return shipping. And yes it is 1/2 X 20 thread.

Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that thread type typical to most shift knobs? I don't like any of the shift knobs available for the vipers. Would a shift knob for a camaro/trans-am/corvette/mustang work? All being cars with t-56 transmission.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a short shifter mechanism and made a short threaded rod only long enough to attach to shifter, thread into knob, and provide a hex in the middle. You will love being able to downshift by simply closing your fingers...

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that thread type typical to most shift knobs? I don't like any of the shift knobs available for the vipers. Would a shift knob for a camaro/trans-am/corvette/mustang work? All being cars with t-56 transmission.

If you get a shifter knob that is universal such as the one I purchased what I believe originally was made for a mustang, it is a hurst knob which is only 1 7/8" in dia, I like the smaller dia knob but it comes with all sizes of threaded inserts to make it able to screw to any adapter mine being 1/2 -20 thread.
The adapter I am using brings my shifter down with the knob aprox 1/2" shorter than stock.
You must be registered for see images

nicholas8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1/2"-20tpi.
I appreciate the response Dean. Isn't that the stock thread? Only reason I am questioning it is a few knobs I have seen for sale say they only fit factory oem shifter and not hurst shifters. But I dont know squat about it. I have not been able to find out what the thread is for the hurst shifter since they don't specify and the shifter is not made anymore. Basing it off some adapters and other hurst knobs I have seen for sale that look like it, my best guess is 3/8-16. But really thinking about it, my original question is probably pretty silly because there are so many variations and who knows what the previous owner put on there. Might be trial and error to find the correct one. Regardless thank you Dean for helping me out! I may see if I can find some really cheap knobs used on ebay to try them out. Then spend a little more for the knob I really want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude