?? Throttle position sensor??? Please help

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a call from the Dodge dealership. I had my check engine light on so they ran the codes and it came back that the throttle position sensor was screwed up.

My question is how much should I expect this to cost, and what does this do?

I have had some sputtering issues at full throttle, could this be it or should I have them change the plugs and fuel filter.

Thanks

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Derek,
We need more info: What year, how many miles, what was the code #?

its a 1993, with 8,200 miles. I do not know what the code number was, they just said it was the throttle position sensor.

Recently my car has been idleing rough, it will be hi, then idle fine. Also, if you give the car gas, some times it sputters or it will litterally almost shut down for a few seconds, then be fine again.

When this does not occur, it runs perfectly, no loss in power or engine problems. I am hoping this may fix it, if not I was thinking maybe to change the fuel filter, pump, and spark plugs.

I just ordered the part for $77 and it will be here tomorrow morning. Do you think this has been my problem?

Thanks for the replies.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anytime Mr. Wizard offers help and advise and you ignore it, you make a big mistake. You should have responed to Chuck Tator for help and priceing.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree Chuck always has our best interest at heart Trust me, my car is there right now and this is the ONLY time it was ever in a shop and I actually got any sleep at night HONEST TO GOD.

My advice cancel the order and call Chuck.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Derek,
Yes it does sounds like a TPS giving you the problems. It would be nice to plug into the Viper [w/DRB] and monitor the TPS to confirm it. From DC: TPS #4761871AC MSRP $64.35

I don't think anybody was ignoring anyone?

Tony,
Thank You!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Derek,
We need more info: What year, how many miles, what was the code #?

its a 1993, with 8,200 miles. I do not know what the code number was, they just said it was the throttle position sensor.

Recently my car has been idleing rough, it will be hi, then idle fine. Also, if you give the car gas, some times it sputters or it will litterally almost shut down for a few seconds, then be fine again.

When this does not occur, it runs perfectly, no loss in power or engine problems. I am hoping this may fix it, if not I was thinking maybe to change the fuel filter, pump, and spark plugs.

I just ordered the part for $77 and it will be here tomorrow morning. Do you think this has been my problem?

Thanks for the replies.

um.... I had the same problem on my '95 and it was just carbon in the throttle body. Cleaned it up with carb cleaner (The type that does not bother TP senors :shocked: ) and it idled smooth as glass. But 8200 miles would be kind of low milage to have a carbon buildup problem.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Derek,
Yes it does sounds like a TPS giving you the problems. It would be nice to plug into the Viper [w/DRB] and monitor the TPS to confirm it. From DC: TPS #4761871AC MSRP $64.35

I don't think anybody was ignoring anyone?

Tony,
Thank You!

Thanks a ton, this makes me feel much better! I had the part overnighted to me so I will be picking it up and installing it over my lunch hour. I will let you all know the results.

Ignoring someone?!?!?! I am a little confused. I was asked a question regarding my car, and I told him. I am new on this board and in no way would ever ignore or be rude to anyone, but I am a little confused about how I was ignoring someone.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anytime Mr. Wizard offers help and advise and you ignore it, you make a big mistake. You should have responed to Chuck Tator for help and priceing.

The part was already ordered and paid for via credit card when I made this post. Like I said in the previous post, I did not mean to ignore anyone.

OP
OP
S

Shanedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the TPS and my car runs perfectly now with the exception of the slightly high idle. No more studders or falling on its face, smooth as sild!

Thanks everyone!