Tire Choice for Everyday Ride?

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use by 2003 Vert as an everyday rider. Getting close to the time where I will need to replace the tires. Running stock run flats now. I know everyone raves about the PS2 versus the run flat but is the performance boost worth the risk of being stranded?

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the PS2's you will NOT be dissapointed. Do you normally drive over a bed of nails every week that you are that worried?

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2's trust me there is no debate. Your car will feel like a whole new car. (much better dry and wet characteristic's)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The risk (worry?) can be minimized with a small compressor and either puncture sealer or even a tire plug kit.

Then, of course, drive to the nearest tire repair center to get it patched or replaced.

Many cars, nowadays, do NOT come with a spare tire. Just a compressor and "****"!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similiar discussion with my mother every year or so...she worries about getting stranded with a flat tire on every trip she takes in her car. I always ask her...how many flat tires have you had in your life...the answer...zero in 70+ years. How many have I had...zero in 45 years. I have a spare in mine, but I also keep a small compressor and a tire repair kit. I would rather plug the tire, air it up and continue to the next repair shop.

Alteredego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put about 12K/yr on mine. I took the run flats off the second month I had it. I've been using the Kumhos since. I love them. They're not very pricey and seem to last, even with my kind of driving. I've taken the car to a couple of fun runs through the Twisted Sisters here in San Antonio and they performed great. When I bought them a co-worker bought a set of the Invos for his RS4 as well as one of my friends with a CTS-V. From these guys driving with me they both say they are getting Kumhos for everyday driving.
The car also clicked off a 10.7 in the 1/4 with them, so they will hook too.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Plenty of choices out there and getting to be quite a few quality tires out there as manufacturers are seeing value in going after the Viper owner's business. The PS2 is likely the major choice of most drivers, but there are a few others that bear consideration. You might try checking with Viper Parts of America http://www.viperpartsofamerica.com as all the profits go back to the club.

As far as getting stranded, Joe Houss had a good suggestion and in many cases if you have roadside assistance it may just be a flatbed trailer to your rescue.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As far as getting stranded, Joe Houss had a good suggestion and in many cases if you have roadside assistance it may just be a flatbed trailer to your rescue.

And that can turn into an absolute nightmare........ Ten years ago, I had a service issue with my '96 and needed it flatbedded to the dealership. Needless to say I had to ask for a replacement driver (probably would have ripped the front fascia off the car if I hadn't).

Don't assume that all of these folks know how to handle this type of vehicle.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that can turn into an absolute nightmare........ Ten years ago, I had a service issue with my '96 and needed it flatbedded to the dealership. Needless to say I had to ask for a replacement driver (probably would have ripped the front fascia off the car if I hadn't).

Don't assume that all of these folks know how to handle this type of vehicle.

Call JonB for front and rear tow hooks, potential problem solved. :2tu:

Reaction score
The newer Vipers ship with a small compressor and sealant kit in the trunk. They are available from any authorized Mopar dealer, including some of the site sponsors here such as Woodhouse, Tomball, etc. Many of the other SRT vehicles ship with a similar kit including the 300C and Charger. You can also go the "generic" route and simply buy an inexpensive compressor and Fix-A-Flat - you just won't win any first place concourse trophies without that wonderful Mopar logo in the trunk. :D

The trade off is very well worth it as almost any Gen III owner can attest: The ride is noticeably improved and the grip of fresh rubber is apparent immediately. There are a number of options out there, including the venerable Michelin PS2. You will be very glad you made the upgrade!

BillionDollarDan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My gen iv came with ps2 and I love 'em. I burned up a set last year at the track, but I still drove about 300 more miles back home and a touch around town before it got too cold.

I'm getting more as soon as it warms up.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I use by 2003 Vert as an everyday rider. Getting close to the time where I will need to replace the tires. Running stock run flats now. I know everyone raves about the PS2 versus the run flat but is the performance boost worth the risk of being stranded?

Russell, you gotta believe this: Your real and true danger is the 9+ year old runcraps. Not the flat-tire fear.

You can carry 2 cans of Fix-A-Flat in your trunk (truck-sized cans with the hoses.) Under $12. A plug kit under $10. You can carry a name-brand tire sealer-inflator kit, under $95. A bit more for Mopar. Many of USA and Chrysler's line, Jeeps, SRT-8s, Vipers, etc come with the latter. Even if you have a FAST leak, you can limp to safety and refill the tire several times with the compressor.

Buy a tire that improves your grip, braking, cornering, emergency transitions, watershed selected for 99.99% of your driving, and not the .01% of what MIGHT happen. If you choose PS-2, I believe you will come back here and say: "AMAZING!! SHOULDA DONE THAT YEARS AGO"

JonB~~~~:<~

Last edited:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PS2s. No contest. Turned my 2003 into a whole different animal. Neither of my SRTs (2007 Charger Superbee, and the Viper) have spares.
You can also go the "generic" route and simply buy an inexpensive compressor and Fix-A-Flat

This is what I have done in the Viper. The Superbee came with a kit from the factory. Carry some plugs, fix a flat, keep your tires properly inflated, and eyes on the road for debris, and pray for some good luck.

Can't do much more than that.

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy a tire that improves your grip, braking, cornering, emergency transitions, watershed selected for 99.99% of your driving, and not the .01% of what MIGHT happen. If you choose PS-2, I believe you will come back here and say: "AMAZING!! SHOULDA DONE THAT YEARS AGO"

JonB~~~~:<~

Just made the switch to PS2's (thanks JonB) last week and can say without question that this is the best move I've made yet since owning a Viper!

OP
OP
R

russellesq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pretty convincing response by all! Thanks for the input. By the way, this all comes to bear because I did get 2 LARGE construction nails/screws in one of my rear tires just recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang