Tire pressure gauges

Johnbennett

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '99 RT/10 with 24,500 miles. My original Michelin Pilot Sports are at the wear indicator in the middle but not on the sides. Wearing in the middle faster than the sides indicates to me that the tires have been slightly over-inflated.

I have faithfully checked my tire pressure every week and it has stayed at a constant 29psi for 2 1/2 years. So I am now looking for a better tire pressure gauge.

The Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies catalog shows "deluxe" gauges for $25.95 and "liquid filled" gauges for $59.95. Are the liquid filled that much better? Any comments or experiences with different tire pressure gauges would be appreciated.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Liquid filled minimizes needle momentum that causes overshoot. Seems like yours might have the opposite problem.....</FONT f>

Reaction score
John, don't be to quick to blame your tire gauge. Center tire wear is a common problem with hi performance cars. The center rib carries more weight than the rest of the tread aria and thus wears faster with aggressive driving. Consider the force exerted on those tires every time you accelerate. Yes, over inflation can cause center wear, but 29 lbs and your tire gauge are probably not the problem. A expensive fact of life, high performance cars eat tires! (PS)24000 miles is darnd good for one go around.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnbennett:
I have faithfully checked my tire pressure every week and it has stayed at a constant 29psi for 2 1/2 years. So I am now looking for a better tire pressure gauge.

Any comments or experiences with different tire pressure gauges would be appreciated.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

Kudos to you for checking your tire pressures regularly!

I used an el-cheapo pencil gauge for years (the same one) and eventually compared it to some expensive gauges at the track. I found that mine was about 4psi higher than others. Right or wrong, at least I was _consistent_. I always use a pyrometer to see where the stress is in the tire and make pressure and alignment adjustments based on temperature, wear and feel. I finally broke down and bought a high-dollar Intercomp glow-in-the-dark gauge from Archer at the track (not liquid filled) and I love it. I keep it handy, in a box with my pyrometer.

The reason they always say to check cold pressure is to minimize the effects of ambient temperature and friction heat increases. Just a few PSI increase from driving can change the pressure distribution across the tread surface and affect treadwear and handling.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
I keep it handy, in a box with my pyrometer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need to get something like that. Ever use one of those Temp Guns? They're a lot more money, I wonder if they're worth it?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "temp guns" or non-contact infrared heat sensors are handy and quick, but have their limitations for tire use. The tire surface cools *very quickly* and to be of much good, you have to get your readings in a hurry in the hot pit lane. I generally go once around the car checking temps, then make another round checking pressures.

Raytek http://www.raytek.com/RPD2000/RPD_prod.HTM is the industry leader with these products and lots of different retailers (even NAPA) carry them. One of their models can also use a temperature probe, and will store data to download to PC via RS-232 link.