Tires slipping on rims while drag racing

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went out tonight and ran 1/8th mile. An old drag racer suggested I mark my drag radials and the factory rims with the numbering marker. After 11 runs at 18 lb pressure the left tire had moved 4 inches on the rim, the right 10 inches. This obviously messes up the balance of the tire and rim. 18 is a good pressure for launching and I know a higher pressure would ease the problem a bit.I'm running nitrous, which contributes to the problem, but I'm not running NO2 off the line when the twisting takes place. I know some racers screw their slicks to the rims but I'm wondering if there is another solution for this. Also I want to warn all of us to have their rears rebalanced after hard launches, before running super high speeds.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never thought to check that. I leave the line around 3800 and 14 to 15 psi, but next time I will have to mark the tires/wheels.

I didn't bother getting mine balanced. I rarely have them on the street and have never experienced any shake on or off the track.

I would be curious to hear from others with slicks, if they have had any issues, but after seeing many at the track I haven't heard of that occuring.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a thought...does anyone else have concerns about driving a viper at 112 mph (trap speed) with only 14 lbs of air in them. I understand it is no problem with wrinkle walls, but is it safe with street tires?

O2ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, first what tires are you running? You don't wanna run a pilot or Regular Radial Tire under 20 lbs.(Never 12 lbs on radial except a DRAG Radial) the tire will begin to bend up in the middle.(taking away tire contact to the pavement).
About the slicks, 12 lbs is fine. If they are true slicks.(Drag Radials are not Slicks) Tire pressure varies with tire size and weight of car.
ex= when we run 17 x 33 prostock tire and there is only 6-7 lbs of air @ 187 mph
on a 28x10.5 run 10-12 lbs @135mph
this varies on all sizes !

Drag radials and slicks are made to be run at low air pressure, this causes the side wall would give.
As for screwing the tires to the rims ... We do that on our slicks only. I don't think you need to screw drag radials.You might be running them to low causing the bead to losen.
We had a 1.50s 60fts without screws our drag radial vette. This was a 10 SEC @ 127 + street driven vette.

Hope this helps....... :usa:

OP
OP
S

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for answering. I mention in the first sentence they are drag radials.
I have E/T's on Purners now. Should those be screwed to the rim? They aren't slipping at 15 lbs and I am going to try 12 lbs.

O2ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't screw them yet, try it like that first. You shouldn't need them.
If you decide you wanna put them on later make sure there even spaced inside and out so you don't throw off the balance.