To buy Dodge Viper or Chrysler Viper?

crifa10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi, I'm a new member, I'm writing from Italy, I would like to buy a Viper GTS 1996-2002 version, I'm looking for some in Europe, some are Dodge branded and have 335kw (450hp) others are Chrysler branded and have 280kw (380hp) But Does the engine have any differences between the 2 brands? Maybe the only difference lies in the eprom but same mechanical components? What actually changes in general between Dodge Viper and Chrysler Viper?

I found cars from the year 2000 for sale, is it true that they have piston problems because they have lightened them and are no forged?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe the difference between the two has to do with the exhaust. The Chrysler branded cars had to meet more stringent European pass by noise regulations and had more restrictive exhaust. I'm not sure if the tuning or anything actually changed with them though. So for instance if you were to put aftermarket or US spec exhaust on it, the computer might be able to deal with it just fine. Not 100% sure of that though. They might have had to retune it to deal with the more restrictive exhaust as well.

As for the engine I believe those are the exact same between the two as far as the internal components. As for piston problems, I've never heard of a stock Viper having them. They changed from forged to hypereutectic pistons around that time partially for emissions purposes (they don't expand as much with heat, so they can have a tighter fit to the cylinders), so they are potentially actually better in some ways, but they don't necessarily put up with power adders as well. If you are only ever going to leave it stock or do minor bolt on stuff like intakes, exhausts, and tunes, you'll never have to worry about it. If you want to supercharge or turbo the car then having forged pistons already in it is easier.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Correct .. exhaust out the rear on Chrysler Vipers .. also, those cars has side turn signal lights to meet European requirements ...

martinsmu

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your interested, I know a dealership from in france that has a very very clean 2002 rt/10 in yellow.

OP
OP
C

crifa10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow she is really beautiful! what price does your friend ask?
I would like to find a GTS because aesthetically I like it better than the RT, I am looking for it in Europe (France and Germany) I look at the ads on the internet every day, I would like to spend less than 60k

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have a 2002 GTS ....Red/Silver

61,000 miles

Runs and looks great ....

May be interested in selling ...

Attachments

• 614035A8-7F04-43A2-B566-ED40C7375D82.jpeg
    614035A8-7F04-43A2-B566-ED40C7375D82.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 4
  • 4ECA6529-EC8C-4C93-A4AA-8E47A0129F5C.jpeg
    4ECA6529-EC8C-4C93-A4AA-8E47A0129F5C.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
C

crifa10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
red and gray is gorgeous, what figure are you asking for? I am in Europe and I buy within Europe, not in the USA because there are customs taxes

OP
OP
C

crifa10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it seems to me an unlikely price, too low, everyone is deluding themselves to sell gts at double your price, it's very strange, but anyway I don't buy outside europe, I don't want to pay commissions, anyway wonderful color
Understand ... I hate "fees" ...

$40,000 ...

OP
OP
C

crifa10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that at this price you will be able to sell it in one day in America, why are you asking for such a low price?

OP
OP
C

crifa10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that if your ad is real, many Americans would be willing to immediately buy your gts for only 40 thousand dollars

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hope so ... will shoot for January - February.

Going to have a Viper Tech go over it front to back just to make sure there are no issues.

Thankx!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
hi, I'm a new member, I'm writing from Italy, I would like to buy a Viper GTS 1996-2002 version, I'm looking for some in Europe, some are Dodge branded and have 335kw (450hp) others are Chrysler branded and have 280kw (380hp) But Does the engine have any differences between the 2 brands? Maybe the only difference lies in the eprom but same mechanical components? What actually changes in general between Dodge Viper and Chrysler Viper?

I found cars from the year 2000 for sale, is it true that they have piston problems because they have lightened them and are no forged?
As stated, the mechanical components from 96.5 - 2002 are the same, model year-by-year, except for the more restrictive PCM tuning due in part to exhasut. "BUX" exported cars may have driving light and rear-fog light variances, depending on destination country of export. And the badges vary as noted.

I am certain the G2 PCM could be returned to USA for re-programming to OE or better specs. Park car for winter, send us the PCM.

2000+ HYP pistons are not at all problematic unless you want to do massive mods, like a supercharger. Or G4 heads/cam/etc, but then upgrade pistons.

Good luck with your VIper Quest.

JonB ~~~~:<~ [email protected]

OP
OP
C

crifa10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been following the market for a gts in europe for several months, advertised for about 55 thousand euros and sold in a few weeks, now there are very few gts for sale and everyone asks for 60-70-80 thousand euros, but they can't even sell them for 60 perhaps because those who buy them today are not willing to pay them so much, knowing that up to 2 months ago you were buying them at 55