To stripe or not?

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think since the strips option cost 1000's having them put on wouldn't effect resale in a negative way. I would just make sure they look as good or better than factory.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David:
Firstly dark blue = sapphire blue
wink.gif

To stripe or not to stripe has been discussed here ad nauseam. Do a search on stripes and you'll find hundred's of opinions. Generally,
stripes = racecar = cool = bold = brash = young
solid = sportscar = subtle (if a Viper can be) = understated = mature. Different owners and/or buyers and likely no value issue.

S

SUN RA KAT

CitySnake writes "solid = sportscar = subtle (if a Viper can be) = understated = mature."

laugh.gif
In Viper Race Yellow? and Me, Mature?
baby[1].gif

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vinyl stripes do not affect the clearcoat or paint. Do a search, many on this board have done it. Al Roberts always has a different set of vinyl graphics on his car and his paint is as perfect as the day it rolled off the line.

For the cost involved, try vinyl. If you really like it you can then sprint for the paintjob. If not, the vinyl comes off with no problems whatsoever.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David
If you are anywhere near Irving, I would definetly give Gary a call at Defratus . He has experience with hundreds of Vipers.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
STRIPES!
Consider going around, not through the NACA duct...this is Dixter's avitar...unique and rather cool looking...Recommended color: 1998 Viper Silver!

00000405.jpg

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had vinyl stipes on the RT for 5 years before peeling them off
as the new owner didnt want stripes (his other 2 vipers had them already) they came off clean hardly leaving on any adhesive and
no halm to paint, no fade was noticable. Just done the GTS in vinyl going around the duct

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SUN RA KAT:
CitySnake writes "solid = sportscar = subtle (if a Viper can be) = understated = mature."
laugh.gif
In Viper Race Yellow? and Me, Mature?
baby[1].gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry Kenny:
Guess I should have suggested a third category for you "yellow" brothers
wink.gif
laugh.gif

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DG Viper:
Or you could do what I have on my Sapphire GTS with the Ghost Stripes. I have the best of both worlds...striped, but only if you look and/or the sun hits it on the right angle.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now THAT's subtle!
laugh.gif
I like it!

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DG Viper, That ghost stripe looks way cool!
smile.gif
Is that paint only or can it be done with vinyl?? I have a Steel Gray I would like to see that on!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DG Viper:
Or you could do what I have on my Sapphire GTS with the Ghost Stripes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dis-regard previous recommendation...GHOST STRIPES!!! Very nice...!

DG Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you could do what I have on my Sapphire GTS with the Ghost Stripes. I have the best of both worlds...striped, but only if you look and/or the sun hits it on the right angle.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a timeless question:
to stripe or not to stripe.

I love stripes but the yellow did not need them.
If i had a GTS it would have stripes.
if you add them they do look great.
it is a win win choice.
either way the car is incredible.

and yes, yellow car are in a category all there own.

highjack the thread. every thread is really a yellow car
thread
laugh.gif

S

SUN RA KAT

jimandela - did you notice that it took them 8 years to perfect the Viper enough so it would be worthy of Yellow? And did you also notice the SRT-10 isn't ready for Yellow yet?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01 GTs in saphire blue.I think stripes are for kids and camaro's.I hate stripes on a GTS because it makes the car look funny.Long and narrow.However I think stripes compliment an rt-10 and do not make it look too narrow for its length.As far as I am concerned dodge got it backwards on this one. Bruce

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SUN RA KAT,
your right !
they dont have it right yet enough for yellow.
maybe when they get a comp coupe (hardtop) SRT
then it would be worthy of yellow again.

JIM
laugh.gif

Al Roberts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
Here is my striped car. Not just straight stripes.
You must be registered for see images

Al Roberts
909-677-9505
P.S. Car is for sale

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
riotac and DG Viper, I guess this question is just too dumb to answer, so since I'm dumb I'll answer it myself and perhaps you can confirm???

Obviously, the ghost graphics MUST be paint and not vinyl, since you cannot see any seams looking at the angle that hides the graphics?? Can you give us an idea of cost???
smile.gif
Thanks, this may just be exactly what I've been looking for for my '00 Steely Gray.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point about chips, my snake got severely sand blasted during the IronMan Viper Brawl tight-formation twisties and 180mph run. I would be ultra bummed if it had been anything but a stock paint job capable of easy repair.

Flame to Viperzilla: If you had any experience with Vipers beyond your girlfriend's daddy you would know that there are NO Steel Gray anything with black stripes! Black stripes on Steel Gray would be VERY unique. Sorry but I'm a little offended at a non-owner giving me advice about my cars looks.
pissed.gif

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viperzzilla:
Bigs, I wasn't flaming you on your color choice, I didn't see your color choice, I wasn't commenting on your color choice. I would love to see your color with black stripes. My post was meant toward David. And what I meant by non-stock was non-factory color combinations or non-stock colors. I'm just giving suggestions, like David asked for. Didn't mean to offend you, your decisions, or your car.

Sean
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH!!!!!!!!! WEll, Then............ Never Mind!
embarass.gif

Your post showed up right under mine and in the midst of a rather direct hijack so I just assumed......... I forgot this was even David's thread. Sorry!
smile.gif

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the Viper with stripes, It make the car look that much better and the NACA duct more detailed.I love my 97 Blue and White GTS, we were looking at a RT/10 and fell in love with the GTS. Just my .02 cents

usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif

Gear Grabbn Gary

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to think that if you add stripes, it should be of a conbination that makes YOU happy, With mine I feel that the gold stripes set off the green base color. I wish you well with your decision which ever it is. Gary

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a purple GTS featured in Hot Rod mag about a year ago, but I don't recall it having the ghost paint. That wasn't your car, was it?

I wonder if I could get mine done for less $$ since I would want to stay with the same base color and just add some ghost. I'm thinking normal spec black ghost stripes that disappear at one angle and look like standard black stripes at another.

Please keep us posted as you find out more about your car and that paint scheme!
smile.gif

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OFF-TOPIC Hey Gary, with over 900hp, you can paint your car whatever color you like. That is insane. What kind of times do you get out of that beast or is it a grocery-getter like mine (J/K).
With all this talk about stripes, I wish I would have gotten some when I had the chance.

LPE 383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be possible to find a semi-clear vinyl stripe with the hue of your choice to emulate painted ghost stripes?
Maybe a semi-clear stripe with a <u>subdued</u> metallic silver to compliment the sapphire blue! I really think this could be a great way to add stripes.

safireviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning on putting " Brite Blue Metallic " Stripes on my '02 Graphite ACR when I ordered it. ( it would look good, really )All I ever saw was stripes on my Viper. However, I remember when I took my 80 year old mother to look at a Sapphire Blue ACR, she turned to me and said " Do you like those stripes? I think it cheapens it's look. " Hey, she's from a different time and that was the only thing she said negative about the car. Besides, I wasn't buying this car to impress my mother and when I took delivery of it my 2002 without stripes I told everyone who I showed it to on those first few days what I was planning to do. And I'll tell you honestly what happened. Every person below 18 and one lone 55 year old '70 'Cuda AAR owner said stripe it. Conversely, every adult female said not to stripe it. ( that had nothing to do with my decision and that's my story and I'm sticking to it )
Also with the fact that I've learned that only 17 of these cars were produced, I've decided not to stripe it at this time. However, anyone out there with a Graphite GTS -- trust me, Brite Blue Metallic stripes would look very good.