To the memory of Paul Mumford..long....

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To the memory of Paul Mumford:

Paul Mumford Lives ……in the hearts and minds of thousands of car enthusiasts ………. PMUM; as he became known to his automotive friends, began as his E-Mail address. The frequent readers of www.ViperClub.org forums regularly looked for his signature. They knew that there would be entertaining and controversial banter wherever they found the PMUM moniker. It was great entertainment to read his smack talk; the humor; the wit; the verbal tennis he would exchange with people like Ken Adelberg.
Midyear in 2002 I became ineligible to compete in Viper Days. (None of it my fault of coarse.) Paul calls and in a couple minutes we had an agreement. He would drive, Rick Maxell, Nancy Shanno and I would crew. Two races later, you know the story, he won Nashville VOI and the 02 Finals.
PMUM first came into the Viper Nation view in 1999 when at the Viper Days events his street car eclipsed the times of many of the race Vipers. By 2000 he was suspicioned to be one of the biggest cheaters around. They would exclaim: “Nobody could possibly be that much faster than the rest of us, it has to be the car.”
Paul was never found to be cheating; but the voice of his competitors never quit trying. This year in Speed World Challenge; after the second event, two of his competitors complained to SCCA. They were confident that his car was wearing traction and or stability control. They reviewed the video of the Laguna Seca WCGT race and determined that nobody can drive that smooth without help.
Wednesday evening October 1st 2003, the night before his fatal accident Paul spent an hour on the phone. He shared the concerns of his competitors; he wondered why he needed to spend money to defend against these allegations. We discussed sponsorship and the means to fund the 2004 season. He was confident that he could bring Dodge and himself a Season Championship in the Speed TV World Challenge GT series.
Words that help depict Paul’s character to me:
Tenacious, affable, friendly, driven, gifted, loving, fearless, confident yet humble, aloof, loves a gunfight, need to win, honest, caring.
From Erik Messley: “You know; Paul even loaned me his truck to use as long as I needed it, I hated to tell him he had given it up forever.”
When interviewed in August at Road America after starting 22nd and finishing 3rd, Paul was asked by the announcer if it made him uncomfortable going through the “kink” at over 120 mph. Paul responded by saying, “Well not really, you see I used to run here with the Superbikes. To go through the kink on two wheels at 165 mph, that made you pucker.”
Paul had called one day to ask how the broken wrist was coming; which was a result of an accident in that same R.A. race. He said; “yeah I broke that bone before.” going on to name the bone and explain the healing process which in his case took 9 months.” He said “that was the main reason I got out of racing Superbikes, I was beginning to run out of bones to break.”
We lost a gifted man. We will not be in his presence when he reaches full potential, one can only guess what he would have accomplished. God has Blessed you Paul. A friend..... Bob Woodhouse

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

At the Laguna SpeedGT race, since I live across the street from the track, we had a little dinner at my house on Friday night with Paul,Bridget,Eric,Ron and a few other friends.
As you all know,Paul won the race and flew back late on Sunday night.
Monday morning,very early,I got to my office and opened my computer to check my E-mail.

And guess what? was already an e-mail from Paul thanking me and my wife for as he said: "To make it a good weekend for all of us."

That's exactly what Paul was all about, a VERY special Human Being.

Luc.
00GTS

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post Bob. I unfortunately never met Paul in person, but had profound respect for not only his driving ability, but also for his wit based on this BB. The stories you and others share have led me to believe he was even better a person than a race driver, and we all know how gifted he was behind the wheel...

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It took me some time to swim through all the emotions I felt last week in order to gather my thoughts on the loss of my friend Paul. Last Saturday I was fortunate to gather with some good friends in celebration of his life...I shared these thoughts with them and wish to do the same for those of you that were unable to join us...

On Wednesday, we all lost a great friend! Paul was a man with whom I shared many of lifes'joyful experiences and discussed some of lifes' hurtles.

We met due to a mutual passion for Vipers, which turned into a wonderfully competative rivalry over a Viper Days trophy that Skip Thomas was able to convince us was worth the steep entry fee. This intensity fueled us to bring our “A-Game” and forced us to constantly improve. No matter how much better a driver I had convinced myself I’d become, Paul just seemed to far surpass my best efforts. Everyone knew he met his competition head on and surpassed it while setting a new standard. At the track we no longer said, “what is your best lap time”, but , “Yeah, that’s good but how does it compare to Mumford”?

We all know Mumford had a crafty way with words, and enjoyed his “mumfordisms.” When he wasn’t “layin wood” to me at the track it was on the messege boards in our “smack talking” banter. Bill Pemberton once told me that people asked if Mumford and I hated each other. Of course he would say, “NO! they are great friends, just having fun….”

We are all aware of the increadable achievements Paul has made at the track over the years, and in recent months, he further demonstrated his skill with a third place in his very first Pro World Challenge race after qualifying in 22nd position, and a 1st place in his second race. It goes without saying that he was well on his way to “shock and awe” in this elite group of world class drivers.

Now I know that some of you may disagree with me on this point, but I feel that there is so much more to a man that what he can achieve on a track or in his office. I, for one, have always believed that success is measured by how you impact and contribute to your environment and to the lives of the people that surround you. In my mind Paul's wealth was in his achievement of this goal! Not only was he an enormously generous person, but he went out of his way to express his support and to offer his help. I have never met anyone who could ever say anything bad about Paul. Even people who met him only once, were taken by his genuine nature.

Millions of people work and spend an entire lifetime trying to live a tenth of the life that Paul was able to experience. In his short time on earth, he lived each moment to the fullest. If he wanted something, he set a goal and rapidly surpassed his and everyone elses expectations.

I know my life will forever lack something without him in it to egg me on. But he is here in my heart and I will hear his voice in my mind whenever I look at a car or come after one of you guys on the race track. To Paul I pledge to do only what he would have wanted me to as I am sure will all of you the next time we meet on the track.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again, a awesome show of what made this guy great. Also, why people like me, who never met him, consider him a lost friend because he truly was / and still is a great man.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ken:

Spoken like a true friend... straight from the heart. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories of Paul. His life will go on in the hearts of those that he touched.

Our prayers go out for you and all of Paul's friends and family.

Brad

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PMUM was and still is the fastest Viper driver we have seen. What was it 1:29.xx at willow in his 99GTS stock.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this on Sneaky Pete's Place this morning:

Oct. 1st 2003, I personally and many others suffered the devastating loss of a true icon, a true humanitarian and one of the nicest guys in the world, Paul Mumford aka PMUM. I am posting this to keep his memory alive, many of you knew of his legendary road racing talent, his 17 for 17 wins in VRL in a street car, his win at Laguna Seca in WCGT. But as a reminder to those who didn't know him remember the was the humblest, wittiest, kindest person I've ever had the pleasure to call a friend. Please remember that first and foremost.
. I would like to thank the members of these forums for the respect you showed him with many of you not personally knowing him. To Smackie, The Kid and Bret who were as good a friends as any he had and the respects you paid to him when I posted about his memorial and funeral when you did not know who I was.
For those of you who don't know who he was here are some pics from his greatest racing accomplishment to date, winning the WCGT at Laguna Seca in only his 2nd start. I have many personal pics I would post but they are all photographs. Four years now, it seems like yesterday, feel free to comment.

Paul with his "game face" on just before the race:
You must be registered for see images attach

PMUM up front at Laguna Seca with Fitzgerald in the Porshe behind him
You must be registered for see images attach

PMUM climbing out of his Viper Comp Coupe after the win
You must be registered for see images

Paul on the Podium with 2nd place Randy Pobst

And probably the sadest picture of all for me, Paul with his girlfriend Bridget

Paul flew to Corona after his practice and before the qualifying day to pick me up and save me the drive. Bridget didn't know it but Paul told me "she was the one" and he was going to ask her to marry him. So sad, such a wonderful human being with so much to live for could have such a tragedy happen. He never had a chance to ask Bridget as a few weeks later his plane failed and he crashed. I did get a chance to tell her his feelings, I don't know if she was comforted or felt worse. Take a moment to remember the MAN

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It took me quite some time to get over the fact that anybody in an equivalently prepared car could be THAT MUCH faster than me. I went from incredulous, to angry. I finally realized that driving on the same track with Paul was a privilege that God had allowed some of us share in. HE sometimes shares his Angels with us before sending them on other missions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456