Top Gear hates Verts

Cincy2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting story on Top Gear last night. The topic was a showdown between an Audi R8 and a Porsche Turbo convertible. The verdict from Jeremy was BOTH cars lose. He hated the handling on both cars when compared to the hard top versions he also had driven.

What's the verdict on handling between coupe and vert Vipers? How did Dodge address the obvious structural challenges of a convertible chassis?

Anyone who has driven both, please comment.

Cincy

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge built the Viper as a convertible first, then 3 years later added a hard top. Most companies cut the top off a coupe and need to add reinforcement and weight to make it stiffer.
My convertible is actually lighter than my coupe but way sturdier than any other convertible than I have ever driven

Last edited:

lilgookiemonsta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After driving a '06 coupe across country, I want to say that the 'vert doesn't have the rigidity as the coupe but still more than other 'verts and coupes. Some magazine such as Car & Driver have recorded 'verts going around their tracks faster than coupes due to the weight difference. In my honest opinion, it doesn't need any more structural rigidity because the amount it has already is more than enough.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven, and owned both.

My comments apply to the track.

In my opinion there is no difference in handling - at least none that's detectable by the driver. I think that if you expect there's a difference then that's what you'll feel. If you expect no difference then that's what you'll feel. I think it's a self fulfilling thing.

I know that engineers can test the MHz difference between the 2 chasis and see a difference (of course) but I couldn't see any difference that mattered from behind the wheel.

I could tell - but not enough to matter.

At least that's my experience.

Greg

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The chassis frame is the same and very stiff ... no problem with the Viper I would say, having owned/owning 2 GTS and 2 'vert

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven, and owned both.

My comments apply to the track.

In my opinion there is no difference in handling - at least none that's detectable by the driver. I think that if you expect there's a difference then that's what you'll feel. If you expect no difference then that's what you'll feel. I think it's a self fulfilling thing.

I know that engineers can test the MHz difference between the 2 chasis and see a difference (of course) but I couldn't see any difference that mattered from behind the wheel.

I could tell - but not enough to matter.

At least that's my experience.

Greg

Exactly! Same when I read how someone can "feel" the extra 12 HP result of some upgrade. The mind is a remarkable friend.

supraking85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there are videos on youtube of both the vert (top gear review) and a coupe (jeremys own dvd)
both reviews seem near the same

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Top Gear Season 5, Episode 3 - Jeremy tests the (then new) 2003 SRT-10 'vert.

Top down, Jeremy seemingly does nothing but donuts the whole time. Oh, and he spells "VIPER" on the tarmac in a series of burnouts. Naturally they get their tongue-in-cheek dig about how spartan Vipers are... but he can't contain his enthusiasm for how much fun they are to drive.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2003-2006 vert=3380 pounds

2006 coupe=3440 pounds

2008-2010 vert/coupe=3450 pounds

the gen3 verts were a lil less rigid than the 06 coupes from what I read in reviews..But also about 60 pounds lighter...They seemed to pull similar track times..

As many have stated they were built as verts from the beginning and still one of the best sports car verts ever made.

supraking85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jeremy currently has a clk black (in silver)
used to own a gallardo spyder in baby blue (iirc)
and before that he owned a FGT

his mrs has a caterham, aston martin vantage
and last time i knew they had a vovlo xc90 for a family car

back on topic, there is also an old vid of him driving a rt/10. that one and the two srt/10 ones are pretty much the same.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just go by the specs released by dodge and they say 3450 for the 08's..They dont specify rather vert or coupe in any reading I could find..

WAIT A MINUTE...

isnt your vert a ACR you sneaky dog....If so those things are lighter anyways..LOL..You almost had me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenomXX