TPMS Battery Life Expectancy?

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 car with the original sensors. Going to be taking the tires off the wheels soon. What is the life expectancy on the sensor batteries, 6 or 7 years max? Wondering if I should spring for new sensors now while the tires are off. Thanks

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I recall reading about 8-10 years...BUT, that seems a little opimistic in Viper.

We had one go dead at about 6 years on a 2003 Viper...replaced it, and the other 3 sensors are still going.

A first class tire shop here charges around $25 per tire to change sensors, mount new tires, and road balance the tire/wheel. Sensors retail at about $70-80 per sensor (LESS at some sites...but be SURE that you have the correct sensor before starting!!!).

Your call !! :)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Absolutely....... I personally would worry about it until there's an issue unless you have a burning desire to spend $300 or so replacing good working sensors.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have aftermarket Smart Tire sensors in my wheels for close to 10 years / 25k miles and still going strong.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Have aftermarket Smart Tire sensors in my wheels for close to 10 years / 25k miles and still going strong.

Not for ten years but same here. Dodge dealer wants $104 + tax for 1 Viper TPMS. That is straight up robbery.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The official Chrysler lesson on the sensors said 10 years or 100k miles (160k Km). The sensors on Viper and Prowler are not in operation when stationary. Some of the other Chrysler group vehicles send information once per hour even when the car is off. I would not change anything unless it is not working.

Garrett

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 of my sensors whent bad at 6yr, I replace them when I got rid of the run flats. I replace them with the AIRAWARE #20028 They work great , and for the best part they where only 25.00 per sensor. You will have to go to the dealer for programing they charge me 45.00 for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4