Track testing for Motor Trend again. Kinda secret. All the new Vipers. Rock on.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But wait, there’s more. You see, we also took these beasts back to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca to see what they’d do at the track. And it got interesting. The Corsa-tired, pre-production GTS, as you may recall, lapped the famed circuit in 1:35.8. The production-spec GTS on P Zeros just edged it at 1:35.78, but the SRT and its non-adjustable suspension (the GTS gets two-mode electronically controlled dampers) pulled off a 1:35.37.

Then it got even more interesting. As it happens, we had a set of the Viper’s optional P Zero Corsa tires with us, and we ran them on both cars. The result: 1:34.63 for the SRT and 1:34.23 for the GTS. How did that happen? Even hot shoe Randy Pobst was confused. “I liked the SRT better,” said Pobst. “The rear end of the GTS was still too loose. I felt faster in the SRT.”

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1303_2013_srt_viper_first_test/viewall.html#ixzz2NRLcA9y6

1:34.63 for the SRT and 1:34.23 for the GTS

Much better time...

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, in summation .53 seconds within Randy's ZR1 run using the optional factory tires.

Where is everyone saying how terrible the Gen V is and how there is no way possible anyone could shave off even a second from the lap time?

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, not everyone is saying the genV is terrible. I think it's fantastic, and I could really care less if it's .53 seconds off the ZR1's pace. Even in older tests, the Viper was often beaten by the Z06...so what...

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, not everyone is saying the genV is terrible. I think it's fantastic, and I could really care less if it's .53 seconds off the ZR1's pace. Even in older tests, the Viper was often beaten by the Z06...so what...

Well, the first MT article was a blood bath of crying about the Gen V being "slaughtered" by the ZR1 - by people not even buying the vehicles.

I assume they will be oddly absent from talking about this article.

All in all, made for controversy which drives readership for MT. Should SRT have given them a pre-production car? I guess that is in the past now...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, in summation .53 seconds within Randy's ZR1 run using the optional factory tires.

Where is everyone saying how terrible the Gen V is and how there is no way possible anyone could shave off even a second from the lap time?

Easy there!!! Most rightly called it on the pre-production cars initial subpar showing against the ZR1, both in performance and comfort. That criticism got SRT off there butts. Its still slower than the ZR1 but this result is much more palatable than that 2+ second loss. This result clearly shows the Viper, with equal tires WILL beat the ZR1's time. It really shows the chassis is extremely capable and can get close to the ZR1 even with its vastly superior rubber. I hope the Trofeo's or MPSC's are on the way to all Viper models as an option soon.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy there!!! Most rightly called it on the pre-production cars initial subpar showing against the ZR1, both in performance and comfort. That criticism got SRT off there butts. Its still slower than the ZR1 but this result is much more palatable than that 2+ second loss. This result clearly shows the Viper, with equal tires WILL beat the ZR1's time. It really shows the chassis is extremely capable and can get close to the ZR1 even with its vastly superior rubber. I hope the Trofeo's or MPSC's are on the way to all Viper models as an option soon.

You were rightly skeptical about sending a preprod (and I was skeptical as well). But, there was a lot more than that going on in that thread.

Sorry if I came off as speaking towards that. Who knows why SRT sent them at the time... But perhaps Randy wouldn't have run the new times without those laps.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You were rightly skeptical about sending a preprod (and I was skeptical as well). But, there was a lot more than that going on in that thread.

Sorry if I came off as speaking towards that. Who knows why SRT sent them at the time... But perhaps Randy wouldn't have run the new times without those laps.

No worries and that thread was quite a bit over the top lol.. Yeah I dont know why they were ok with sending worn out pre-production cars for a test like this. Oh well, but as you said its not the past.

I liked this part of the mag test and this should make all the new owners long wait be worth it.

"But, I asked, are these Vipers better than the one we tested against the ZR1? “Absolutely!” Randy said. “They’re much better. It’s way more hooked-up. I just think there’s a little more there they could get and really nail this thing down.”

Great to hear him say that because that means SRT listened and executed. I think that "little more" Randy is talking about in that last sentence is the part that makes a Viper a Viper. Its not meant to be easy to drive like the Porsche he referenced earlier in this paragraph. Maybe in future gens you will see it refined to that level but I dont think it will be Porsche-like in its response anytime soon. Despite its less refined nature its still faster than any of the Porsche models anyway.

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
"But, I asked, are these Vipers better than the one we tested against the ZR1? “Absolutely!” Randy said. “They’re much better. It’s way more hooked-up. I just think there’s a little more there they could get and really nail this thing down.”

They will be even better when you can drop the ride height a little and adjust shocks, corner weights and alignment the way you want them, to suit your individual driving styles, can't wait to get some MCS suspensions on the SRT cars!

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much better.

Wow, GTS is .2 quicker than the Z06/Z07. :)

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No worries and that thread was quite a bit over the top lol.. Yeah I dont know why they were ok with sending worn out pre-production cars for a test like this. Oh well, but as you said its not the past.

I liked this part of the mag test and this should make all the new owners long wait be worth it.

Great to hear him say that because that means SRT listened and executed. I think that "little more" Randy is talking about in that last sentence is the part that makes a Viper a Viper. Its not meant to be easy to drive like the Porsche he referenced earlier in this paragraph. Maybe in future gens you will see it refined to that level but I dont think it will be Porsche-like in its response anytime soon. Despite its less refined nature its still faster than any of the Porsche models anyway.

Agree.

But that time is smokin'. I have to give it to SRT. With a shoe string budget they have put out a monster (And I still argue the old time was a monster time as well).

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still a few tenths slower than the time posted in the ACR driven by Engineer Winkler....fwiw

I would have bet money that the new Gen 5 on R-compound tires could not beat the Gen 4 ACR's time because of the lack of the aero aids. I know that Laguna Seca is not a super high speed track, but still, the aero has to help.

Overall, I'm very impressed and hopefully SRT will be coming out soon with an ACR option for the Gen 5. So, when is SRT bringing out a car and factory driver to take the lap record back? :eater:

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
mjorgensen Woodhouse
Reaction score
I would have bet money that the new Gen 5 on R-compound tires could not beat the Gen 4 ACR's time because of the lack of the aero aids. I know that Laguna Seca is not a super high speed track, but still, the aero has to help.

Overall, I'm very impressed and hopefully SRT will be coming out soon with an ACR option for the Gen 5. So, when is SRT bringing out a car and factory driver to take the lap record back? :eater:

Cheers,
George

For everyone that is waiting for an ACR to pop up you have a very long wait, you can buy a SRT trick it out and enjoy it for a few years, then trade out of it and give us poor folks a shot at owning a Gen5! :D

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good article, it seemed fair to me. A few items that caught my eye:

The production GTS and SRT on standard P Zeros beat the pre-production GTS on Corsas- cool!

Here are some of the faster laps turned at Laguna Seca, combining this test with Motor Trend's top 10 fastest and the 1:33.99 that the ACR turned:

1. 1:33.70 ZR1 Corvette
2. 1:33.99 Gen IV Viper ACR
3. 1:34.23 Gen V Viper GTS
4. 1:34.43 Z06/Z07 Corvette
5. 1:34.50 McClaren MP4-12C
6. 1:34.63 Gen V Viper SRT

God Bless America, as Randy says!

Now as others have said, slap some real tires on the Gen V and take the #1 spot!

Last edited:

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Different days....too bad they couldn't get the Zr1 back out to test again. All taken with a grain of salt. At this kind of performance level just buy which car makes you the happiest. Viper hands down over the corvette for me.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"*********" SRT for 2014 maybe for under 100k? :drive:
Ala the ********* packages of prior with the good brakes and tires, less weight.

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Different days....too bad they couldn't get the Zr1 back out to test again. All taken with a grain of salt. At this kind of performance level just buy which car makes you the happiest. Viper hands down over the corvette for me.

IMO, the ZR-1 not being there, does not lessen or minimize the performance improvement by the GTS. Who knows, maybe the GTS would have beaten the ZR-1 on that day? Like you said, different day, different cars, different weather etc.

ringram

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No news about the hard seats yet then..?
I guess we will have to wait till they hit the consumers driveways.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that it would have been a lot more conclusive if they retested the ZR1 at the same time etc.

But you have to admit that on rain tires, to come within .5-1 sec of a MPSC equipped ZR1 is saying a whole lot of something. While I wished it regained the title there is no way it was going to do that with those tires. It just can't brake and corner with or better than the ZR1 can with those MPSC. If the Trofeo's live up to the hype and become a factory TrackPack option then the title will be back in the snakes clutches imo. Until then the ZR1 still reigns........at Laguna that is.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So based on the article, the base SRT was still never tested with the full track-pak, only the tires. There seems like there is still more time that can be shaved off. Not just with Trofeos, but they still haven't tested the aero package for added downforce. I want to see a fully performance optioned SRT or GTS run around that trak with Trofeos. I think that car could get the lap record back.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So based on the article, the base SRT was still never tested with the full track-pak, only the tires. There seems like there is still more time that can be shaved off. Not just with Trofeos, but they still haven't tested the aero package for added downforce. I want to see a fully performance optioned SRT or GTS run around that trak with Trofeos. I think that car could get the lap record back.

Completely agree on all points. If I didn't already have my order in, I'd be looking hard at an SRT Track Pack with aero. That thing is gonna be a track beast to be reckoned with! Hell, just buy one and slap on MPSCs for that matter. Here, Chevy Chevy!

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree on all points. If I didn't already have my order in, I'd be looking hard at an SRT Track Pack with aero. That thing is gonna be a track beast to be reckoned with! Hell, just buy one and slap on MPSCs for that matter. Here, Chevy Chevy!

Stop making me consider the 2013 Gen V! :D