Transmission Lube what is the latest thing?

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found a bottle I just used
Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant part#04874459

I had been using Royal Purple, but this is working much better!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We really need an ask tom section and force people to use the SEARCH FEATURE

Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just asked Tom a couple weeks ago about the transmission and to verify engine oil. Here is your answer

Howdy.

Your 2001 came with the Castrol Syntorq 75W-85 synthetic API GL-4 (vs. ATF in older cars.) This oil is also used in Dodge truck transfer cases, so if you want to look outside the Dodge dealer, try a 4x4 shop. Another re-brand is the GM synthetic manual transmission fluid. GM# 12346190.

Whatever you select, it must meet API GL-4. Do not use something that is API GL-5 only. (Some are both.)

The engine oil recommendation is a diesel engine oil because it has more additives than a pass car oil to combat wear, entry of fuel into the oil, high temperatures, and durability. I don't have a strong leaning towards a synthetic, but diesel synthetic is only in a 5W40 grade. Mineral diesel (what I use) is only in a 15W40 grade.

Depending on what kind of ship you're on, perhaps the maintenance engineer can talk to you about diesel engine oils.

I'll help all I can - shoot me more questions.

-Tom

OP
OP
P

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We really need an ask tom section and force people to use the SEARCH FEATURE
I agree it should be a sticky

I have tried the search function many times, it comes up with inane info but hardly what I was looking for, What the latest fluids are.I ve been under a rock for 3 years, so just maybe someone is using something new. I found more relevent quotes on this site searching google.

In fact one stateted that 1997s used ATF? & later trans used GL4.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
pdmracing, the key to your search needs is in the "keyword"...try "Borg-Warner"... but beware of false prophets!!!

You mentioned "1997"...ours came with Dexron III (an ATF). A TSB in May 1998 allowed replacenent of that ATF with Castrol Syntorq 75W-85 (Mopar's Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85...which IS a GL-4) for the purpose of quieting Neutral Gear Rattle IF indeed the owner complained about the NGR. However, this TSB only applied to 1994-1998 Vipers (NOT 92 & 93).

In 1999, the Castrol Syntorq became the factory fill through 2006.

2008 and 2009 Vipers use Mopar's ATF+4 for the tranny.

Since Mopar no longer sells Dexron II-e or III, ATF+4 has been recommended as the replacement to the Dexron series of ATF's (IIe and III) which can be used on 1992 through 1998 Vipers.

Suggest you cross reference my ramblings with the "official article" in Viper Magazine's Spring 2008 issue...page 40.

As a personal aside, I have been using Dexron III in our 95,96,97(will change to ATF+4 next roud)...the Castrol Syntorq in our 99,01,03...and the ATF+4 in the 08.

ontilt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Syntorq is actually used in the Dodge pick up 5 speed tranny's (NV4500). Amsoil has a direct replacement for Syntorq.. Dont remember the name but on the label it lists that it is for NV4500 transmissions. I have used both Syntorq and the Amsoil in my 1 ton PU 5 sp. I found no difference. The Amsoil works great.