trends I have seen on this forum...

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdrummer, thank you for your honest and insightful information. You have hands on ownership experience of many cars and your comments about them really inform the un-informed with out getting anyone bent out of shape. I agree with your comment on the lines of the GTS, my ultimate choice for best body lines ever is the original Bugatti Coupe (rivets down the spine of the car). I can't get the pic to load to share.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Ford GT is one of the most beautiful cars ever made. I would LOVE to have one in my garage like anyone on this site would. But the truth of the matter is the GEN 4 Viper outperforms it in every way.

Sure you can easily mod the Ford GT so that it will run with a stock Viper in the ¼ mile. But Ford GT has an Achilles heel: Tires. What’s so great about sticky tires? A whole hell of a lot. Especially when on a roadcourse your tire selection means the world on a High HP car.

The runcraps the Ford GT where sold with are just laughable. The Bridgestone Potenza is the best tire choice available for the Ford GT. They are a lot better than the runcraps but they are no PS2s and certainly not Pilot sport cups or Pilot Super Sports.

What would you have to do to have a Ford GT to have it run with a GEN 4 on most roadcourses? A hell of a lot IMO. (Maybe even change wheels so you could run a sticky tire) And to have Ford GT run with an GEN 4 ACR on a roadcourse you would have to do a whole hell of a lot more.

Now I would be the first to admit performance isn’t everything I would have a hard time picking an ACR over a Ford GT. The Ford GT is just Beautiful, is quality made and is an iconic car. But in 2012 a 06 Ford GT is twice the money as a 2009 ACR. The question is: Is it twice the car?

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes my friend. yes it is.

a 2009 acr is just a 03 viper with a hardtop a wing and a few conards with a much improved suspension 8.4 liter 600 hp engine.

The point Im trying to make is that the ACR is a modified variant of a car desighned in 03. Theyre are verts coupes mambas coupes with areo packages acrs and even acr verts. at its heart it is a 85k car and with options get barely into the 100s if full out acr trim. at 9,900 srt vipers ever made its plenty rare.

But the fgt is simply the fgt is simply the fgt. at just 4k made it is twice as rare and had an origional msrp easily 60k higher and now real world selling price of a 05 fgt vs a 05 viper it is easily 3-4 times more expensive.

compareing the ultimate viper to a fgt makes even less since than compareing the then ultimate z06 vette to the 2008 viper. The viper was 15k more expensive and easily 3 times more rare.

Im with you on the performance and I love the viper. But a ACR dosent look really any differant than a 2006 coupe witch can easily be had sub 50k. I wouldnt get to excited over seeing a acr as its just a variant of what I already have. But a FGT is a stand alone knockout and Id be like a 15 year old snapping face book pics if I ever saw one.

So for these reasons its easily twice the car. much like how a viper is twice the car of a non zr1 or z06 vette.

a ls3 vette can most defiently rival a GTS viper in every catergory and is probally a bit faster on a road course. But a GTS is still twice the car. same applies here

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fgt has the best profile ever in my opinion.

front end rivals the gts front end.

rear is sinister.

GTS will always hold a place in my heart. but fgt wins this one hands down. that profile in black is just too much. id hit it

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another cool car you don't hear much about anymore is the Porshe Carrera Gt. (Not sure of spelling there) The FGT and the Carrera GT were/are no match for the Viper but both are really cool, unusual cars.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cgt is an awesome car but just another prshe to me if that makes any since and I'd prefer a acr

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another cool car you don't hear much about anymore is the Porshe Carrera Gt. (Not sure of spelling there) The FGT and the Carrera GT were/are no match for the Viper but both are really cool, unusual cars.

That would be a tough choice between an FGT and a Carrera GT even though the Porsche MSRP is about 3 times that of the FGT. It would be game over though once somebody revs up the Porsche... Pure ear candy...

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 93 Viper---you have told me something I never knew--the GT came with runflats!! Wait till I tell Ford. My 3 came with Goodyear F1s (and a sealant kit) which were state of the art, excellent tires. Goodyear did make an EMT version which fit a Z06 etc but they don't fit GTs. Sorry, my friend but there were 4000+ GTs and NONE came with runflats.

As to the performance of an ACR vs GT I think you are a bit off there as well but I don't want to knock the ACR--a great, great car.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 93 Viper---you have told me something I never knew--the GT came with runflats!! Wait till I tell Ford. My 3 came with Goodyear F1s (and a sealant kit) which were state of the art, excellent tires. Goodyear did make an EMT version which fit a Z06 etc but they don't fit GTs. Sorry, my friend but there were 4000+ GTs and NONE came with runflats.

As to the performance of an ACR vs GT I think you are a bit off there as well but I don't want to knock the ACR--a great, great car.

I thought they came with Goodyear runcraps LOL. But it’s kind of a mute point because Goodyear F1s aren't that much better of a tire. PS2s are far better for the track. Again I would absolutely kill for a GT but an ACR is faster by far. You don't have to take my word for it.

ACR was over 12 seconds faster around VIR according to Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...plete-lightning-lap-times-2006-to-2012-page-8

Scroll down to lap times.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me $200k for a car and there's no question in my mind what I'm doing.

Having had a 1000+ HP 5.4L DOHC Ford car, I know how easy it is to make power and still have "like stock" street manners. The car is brutally fast, looks magnificently good, has timeless curves and can do it all. It's American made which does help, and it's just flat out cool. As already stated they hold/appreciate in value and that just isn't normal.

I mean really though:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

That may be the best looking car I have ever seen. That thing is completely bad-ass, period, end of story, the fat lady just sang, over and out. :2tu:

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,

No question that the Ford GT is an amazing car....in every aspect. When I get my next car I would rather own that Ford than any other available on the market today.....new or old. Having said that it wouldn't replace my Viper....just look incredible sitting next to it.

Here's my question. And this is nothing more than curiosity based on what I experienced here locally.

When the Ford GT was available, isn't it true that they were very hard to sell. Sure, many got picked up quickly but my local Ford dealer had a Heritage. I checked it out....beautiful machine, but they could not sell that for a very long time. Initially they had an inflated MSRP. Wasnt but a month or so later and they went to MSRP and this car sat there for at least 8 months + before it was finally sold to a customer in Switzerland. I know the owner of the dealership well but he wouldn't tell me what it sold for other than well below MSRP.

So Yes...they are some of the most collectable cars ever but I am not so sure that Ford were happy with the way they sold.

Again....just based on what I did see locally and somebody that knows more about these cars can probably tell me if this was actually the case for part of the production.

Speaking of production. Sure there were only 4000 GT's made but that is only a 2 year run. Take a 2 year run for any Viper and your will see that the Vipers are just as limited, or even more so, if you look at it yearly.

Matt

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark ups were the norm on new GTs and once the rich and famous bought theirs some did sit on stubborn dealer showrooms. America in general was not used to a 150kplus Supercar . I remember offering a local dealer 10k over msrp and being laughed at. I think Ford was fine with sales. It was a true halo car.

A few dealers still have them on mso. A black or blue Under 500 miles will go 185--190. A Heritage 215--230k.

Sure, there have been years where Viper production was quite small--92, 09 and 10. But sadly Except for 92, that was due in part to demand. Hell, even 2010 Final 50 EDs, one of which i bought languished with dealers. It is hard to compare an isolated 2 years of Viper to 05/06 GTs.

Having said that IMO a 92 or 98 GTS--R which are stupid cheap are great investments but maybe for your grandchildren.

Last edited:

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark ups were the norm on new GTs and once the rich and famous bought theirs some did sit on stubborn dealer showrooms. America in general was not used to a 150kplus Supercar . I remember offering a local dealer 10k over msrp and being laughed at. I think Ford was fine with sales. It was a true halo car.

A few dealers still have them on mso. A black or blue Under 500 miles will go 185--190. A Heritage 215--230k.

Sure, there have been years where Viper production was quite small--92, 09 and 10. But sadly Except for 92, that was due in part to demand. Hell, even 2010 Final 50 EDs, one of which i bought languished with dealers. It is hard to compare an isolated 2 years of Viper to 05/06 GTs.

Having said that IMO a 92 or 98 GTS--R which are stupid cheap are great investments but maybe for your grandchildren.

Amazing collection of cars you have. How would you compare your 458 to your GT to your GEN 4? Which do you enjoy more?

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing collection of cars you have. How would you compare your 458 to your GT to your GEN 4? Which do you enjoy more?

I have 3 children--one in law school, one in college hoping to be a pro golfer and one in high school. They all do certain things well and some things not so well. But, I love them the same. This is kind of the way I feel about the 3 cars you mention .

The 458 may be the most technologically advanced car in the world. Check out some YouTube videos including Top Gear. I bought mine after seeing one nearby us owned by Justin Verlander (talk about a nice collection). The 458 almost drives itself and with the double clutch and 7 speed paddle shifter it is the quickest car I have driven . And the Italian exhaust note is wonderful. But at 300k it should do all that and more (but it's Valentine day so I won't say what else it should do)

The GT and Vipers are more drivers cars. The Ford has much better manners and like a lot of mid engines is a dream to drive.the throttle response is great and at a little over 6'4" I have lots of room.

The Viper is never pretentious. You fire it up and it says "ok, big boy I m waiting think you can handle me?" much more seat of the pants. Just a kick ass unforgiving ride with stunning visuals.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperdrummer, At 6'4" do you have a seat lowering kit in any of your Gen 4s ? I'm the same height and pretty comfortable but lately I have been thinking an inch or 2 lower may be just the ticket or drop a hundred pounds :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here on Long Island Gallardos and Ferrari's are a dime a dozen, but you rarely see a FGT on the road or at a show.
I guess everyone is putting them away to watch the value rise which I couldn't do.
I could not resist driving it.
But then when you drive it with one eye on the odometer all the time is it enjoyable?

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through 9 Vipers I have never had a seat lowering kit--though I have ruined a couple of bolsters along the way. Once I am in I am fine but the older I get the more of a chore it is getting in and out of any of these cars.

On driving or not driving the GT, it does cause some angst. I had 3 now 2. One I drive--I have 10,000 miles on it the other is more of a garage queen. No question I am depreciating the 10k car but when I compare the depreciation to the fun it is not a close call.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdrummer you need a new 2010 ACR AND a pristine 15K Blue and White 97 in your collection.
Which I happen to have ready to trade for your White/Blue FGT.....:)

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdrummer you need a new 2010 ACR AND a pristine 15K Blue and White 97 in your collection.
Which I happen to have ready to trade for your White/Blue FGT.....:)

Sounds like a good trade to me. If you need someone to do the transport, I have an enclosed trailer with winch. I wouldn't even need to drive them on or off, but of course I'll need the keys to unlock the column.

I think it takes like 7 days to drive from LI to Richmond.

OP
OP

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see pics of all those cars we are speaking of forum members...

I LOVE that black FGT above. it seems there is much more to those cars than i previously thought. nice complement to the Viper in a garage for sure.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One good pick is all i need.

Just one pic of a srt and fgt in the same color..........

Anyone...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave