Tuning the ACR

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact/ or Fiction;

Is tuning the 08 models and the ACR an issue if mods are installed. Simple mods like headers etc.
From what I understand its a difficult engine to tune.

Regards
Patrick

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact/ or Fiction;

Is tuning the 08 models and the ACR an issue if mods are installed. Simple mods like headers etc.
From what I understand its a difficult engine to tune.

Regards
Patrick

From all preliminary reports, including the SRT engineers, the new "Venom" engine controller system is much more difficult to work with from a tuner perspective. Will intrepid, resourceful aftermarket tuners be able to crack this system? Only time will tell.

/Rich

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not so.
The 08 engine responds really well to better flowing intake and exhaust. DC Performance and the Texas Tuner have gotten pretty good dyno gains from just bolt ons.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From all preliminary reports, including the SRT engineers, the new "Venom" engine controller system is much more difficult to work with from a tuner perspective. Will intrepid, resourceful aftermarket tuners be able to crack this system? Only time will tell.

/Rich

This was the comment made by one of the engineers. Sounds like they will try to help with tuning solutions.

The Venom system with ETC doesn't give you very much flexibility. Now that the production car has been launched, we are looking a what we can do for the tuner. We can tell you now, however, that there is no opportunity to "mix and match" components. A given cal will only be good for a given stage kit.

Reaction score
McClaren is running some test on Saturday on the engine dyno and this may answer a couple of our questions. I should know the results hopefully Sunday and if there is anything to tell I will be sure to let it out. Hopefully there will be good news about the engine controller and the compatibility with mods.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that the SRT engineers were talking about more heavy-duty tweaking, like remapping the car's chip and adding superchargers and turbos.

But the first couple tuners that have done simple bolt-on mods like adding high flow cats and long tube headers found an extra 65+HP above stock, and adding ported, polished heads found another 50HP on top of that. 700HP+ from basic bolt on mods is pretty impressive, and there is no real downside for better breathing.:2tu:

Reaction score
I doubt you are going to see turbos or supercharging for this motor anytime soon, at least without a stand alone and bottom end redo. Of course then you have a whole new motor. Who has had the heads off yet on the new car? I must have missed this or is it just a myth?

black08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I doubt you are going to see turbos or supercharging for this motor anytime soon, at least without a stand alone and bottom end redo. Of course then you have a whole new motor. Who has had the heads off yet on the new car? I must have missed this or is it just a myth?

Hennessey is now offering a Venom 700R package for the 2008 on his website. He is advertising 725 hp.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is'nt Paxton requesting an '08 for a build up? I really doubt the heads need porting of any kind. They are CNC'd, and from what I understand are about the same as the Strikers with the added advantage of shallower valve angles.

Reaction score
So how much is Hennessy "offering" to build this 725 for. Just want to know so I know what to charge ;-)

I agree about the heads, I doubt McClaren left 50 hp on the table, and how does John intend to manage this engine? Is he using a stand alone?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960