1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V10 H.O. Ignition Coil Packs

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Bluvenm97, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Bluvenm97

Bluvenm97 Viper Owner

Has anyone tried these, or thinks it would be a benefit to our cars. I've always wondered about the stock ignition systems on these cars, and a way to make it more powerful.

Back in the day, a better coil, distributor, etc would seem to make a slight difference in performance. I used to use Jacobs Electronics on my Mustang, it was a pretty nice system, but I'm not sure if I really felt any power gain. Would a fatter spark on our cars help with power output?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2011
  2. Russ M

Russ M Enthusiast

There are some very high hp cars out there on factory coils, so unless your car is one of them you will not be needing them.

3. 99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10 Enthusiast

I bought 4 of them. One for every car. Cheap insurance if you ask me. I think the car runs a lot smoother and the information I read says they Hi-energy coil packs will fire a .065 gap. I set mine at .035.

Now all of my cars are modded one way or another, but on a stock car, they probably aren't worth, but I can't see how it will hurt. I bought mine thru Tony at JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

4. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Enthusiast

Yes stock plugs,wires and coils work, BUT. Having owned several doge products. Using a better grade of the champion plug, wires and especialy the coil as in Accel all made these various engines run a lot smoother. Power difference? I don't know. No dyno's or sotp dyno except that they all ran smoother as the individual plugs,wires or coils were changed out for higher quality. On the Viper copper champs made a difference as well as magnecor wires. Will have to try the coils. GTS Bruce

5. CWhiteRun

CWhiteRun Has Left the Room!

Definitely smoothed out my idle and improved low speed driveability with the blower cam and 1.7's. Funny thing is they closely resemble a Ford EDIS 6 and EDIS 4 coil pack. I bought mine through 99R/T10. ;)

6. VIPERBARON

VIPERBARON Viper Owner

When I get back to the US, I'm going to put a high output set on my GTS. I think of it as an aircraft dual ignition; the engine runs smoother with both plugs firing, so a bigger spark on the car can't hurt. They are not that expensive anyway.

7. Viper Grenade

Viper Grenade Enthusiast

Ordered a set and will give it a try.

8. EllowViper

EllowViper Viper Owner

Just received mine yesterday. Hopefully will help with idle/low speed drivability mostly due to being able to open the gap up quite a bit.

9. Bluvenm97

Bluvenm97 Viper Owner

I just ordered some today, I will post any results after install. Five minutes after I ordered them my wife texted me from work yelling at me for spending more money on the car I was considering selling!! I had to tell her I found a crack in my stock coil packs upon inspection...

Does this make me a bad husband ?? LOL

Seriously though, she really is a sweetheart..

10. NI-KA

NI-KA Viper Owner

What is involved with swapping the coil packs? I am currently putting ABs wires on and replacing the injector harness since I found a reasonable deal on a new one. Soooooo while I am in there????? Oh yea... the heads are currently off the car as well.

Ball park cost?

I have a heads and CAM '97 GTS

11. 1TONY1

1TONY1 Enthusiast

Something to be aware of before getting excited to do this install.......

The six pack coil plug on some Vipers is different from the six pack plug on these coils. Best I know so far is that my 1996 is different and a 1998 is the same. If you have the wrong plug on your wiring harness, it wouldn't be real hard to swap the plug. I haven't looked for the plug yet but it's probably available.

This is assuming that they do not offer different plugs on the six pack coil.

12. 1TONY1

1TONY1 Enthusiast

She my take your credit card away....AND your purse ;)

13. 99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10 Enthusiast

They bolted right up to my 1999 and to Cwhites 2001. It take a small modification to the 6 pack coil only. the 4 pack bolts right up. When you buy them, you have to specify Gen I, Gen II or Gen III

14. 1TONY1

1TONY1 Enthusiast

Maybe 96 has gen1 coils ? Mine is a totally different plug. I bet a 97 has the later connector.

15. Canyon707

Canyon707 Viper Owner

Funny you mention the wife here..... Mine dosen't mind me buying thigs for my car but, it's a tradeoff for Prada shoes dtc. She keeps it pretty even. What can I say...... nothing

16. ViperTony

ViperTony Enthusiast

The description states that the plugs can be gapped at .065" almost double the OEM specs for my GenII. Wouldn't the higher output also cause the spark plugs to become hotter or am I way off on this?

17. 99 R/T 10

99 R/T 10 Enthusiast

I believe it say they can fire a gap of .065, to show the higher capabilty. You wouldn't want to actually do that. Stay at .032-.035.

18. Viper Grenade

Viper Grenade Enthusiast

Put mine in about 2 months ago. Seems to smooth out the idle a bit and my butt dyno says it's worth about 1hp. :D I did set them for .060 on new stock plugs. I've put about 300mi on them and no issues.

19. EllowViper

EllowViper Viper Owner

I think the .060 gap is what smoothed out the idle. That's a lot of lightening!!!