VCA member runs 11.4 in stock gen3

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill let him chime in if he wishes..but a VCA member just ran a 11.42 at 121 mph in his 100% bone stock Gen3 vert...

Ive always wondered why we wernt running these times in cars that trapp 118-122 mph...

And after owning a srt10 back in 2007 i found out quickly that they are hard cars to drag race...but with the trapp speeds and a good 60 ft anything is possible...

So if you choose to chime in I have some questions..

-what track was this?

-Ever dyno the car ( even though the trapp speeds seem more than noral I gotta ask)

-What was the 60 foot on the run flats?

-What is the highest mph youve ever hit on any run?

-Any vids?

Thanks

Last edited:

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill let him chime in if he wishes..but a VCA member just ran a 11.42 at 120 mph in his 100% bone stock Gen3 vert...

Ive always wondered why we wernt running these times in cars that trapp 118-122 mph...

And after owning a srt10 back in 2007 i found out quickly that they are hard cars to drag race...but with the trapp speeds and a good 60 ft anything is possible...

So if you choose to chime in I have some questions..

-what track was this?

-Ever dyno the car ( even though the trapp speeds seem more than noral I gotta ask)

-What was the 60 foot on the run flats?

-What is the highest mph youve ever hit on any run?

-Any vids?

Thanks

Thanks.
I attended a private track rental last Monday that was hosted by Ranger who is famous for his record setting times in Z06s. The track was Maryland International Raceway in southern Maryland.
I have never had the car on a dyno.
Highest mph in the 1/4 was 123 but I am usually at 121.
60 foot time was 1.729 with the runflats at 24 lbs.

Ranger had someone taking video for his upcoming DVD. He had instructed her to start to film my runs as I was hitting 11.5s. I am hoping she got the run. He is in the process now of going thru all the videos.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great run and time!!!

One of the things I noticed on "fast" Viper runs by looking at the timeslips is that most "fast" runs are done right after you just made a run and get back into the staging area and immediately go again.

Did you find the same thing? I think the second immediate run has the motor internally hot (more hp, but not heat soaked yet) and the tires good and hot, tranny hot, etc. I think the recipe for increased hp is hot oil and "cool" coolant, but that is a very small window of opportunity.

That track also appears to be very fast....maybe a slight downhill?.
From what I've been told, Infineon has a 12" rise in the quarter mile (at least that's what I'm blaming my slow et's on:))

Cheers,
George

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

Nice time! Can you share some of the things that you were working on to improve your times.

Thanks.

I put the rear tires at 24 lbs to give better tire contact and to cushion the load snap. I launched at between 3000- 3500 depending on traction. I prefer 3500 for obvious reasons. I let the throttle out fairly quickly (basically while saying "one thousand").
The outside temperature was about 45 degrees. The track temperature got to about 50 degrees.
I will say that MIR knows how to prep a track. My shoes were coming off my feet while walking the track prior to running.
There were about 5 ZR1 there and they were running 10.9s.
Ranger ran a 11.2 in his Z06 while I was watching but I do not know if that was his fastest time or not.

For me to run faster I will have to work on my 60ft times. I'm finding in GEN3s that 1.8 60 ft times translate into a high 11 second quarter. 1.75 = 11.5s, 1.73= 11.4s. If I can achieve a 1.7 flat I think I can hit a very low 11 second quarter.
The odd thing is my mph doesn't seem to vary much. It stays between 120- 123. In fact the 123 was done in an 11.6 second pass. I know the Z06s are running 125 in the quarter when running very low 11s. I think it is due to their better rear gearing (3.42 vs 3.07).

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. How long ago was this run as I thought MIR was closed til spring or I may be thinking of capital.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the rear tires at 24 lbs to give better tire contact and to cushion the load snap. I launched at between 3000- 3500 depending on traction. I prefer 3500 for obvious reasons. I let the throttle out fairly quickly (basically while saying "one thousand").
The outside temperature was about 45 degrees. The track temperature got to about 50 degrees.
I will say that MIR knows how to prep a track. My shoes were coming off my feet while walking the track prior to running.
There were about 5 ZR1 there and they were running 10.9s.
Ranger ran a 11.2 in his Z06 while I was watching but I do not know if that was his fastest time or not.

For me to run faster I will have to work on my 60ft times. I'm finding in GEN3s that 1.8 60 ft times translate into a high 11 second quarter. 1.75 = 11.5s, 1.73= 11.4s. If I can achieve a 1.7 flat I think I can hit a very low 11 second quarter.
The odd thing is my mph doesn't seem to vary much. It stays between 120- 123. In fact the 123 was done in an 11.6 second pass. I know the Z06s are running 125 in the quarter when running very low 11s. I think it is due to their better rear gearing (3.42 vs 3.07).

Good info here...Thanks...You were running right with the properly driven c6Z06's then....Soooo close to 11.3's...Great Showing ViperJim...

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. How long ago was this run as I thought MIR was closed til spring or I may be thinking of capital.

Thanks.
It was Monday 12/7. There were actually two private rentals going on at the same time. One in each lane. I do not know about Capital but I would be surprised if you could not do a private rental now. Most want the $$.

Last edited:

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Jim. Track prep must be far better than Capital?

Capital has terrible prep. It's hard to remember any sort of traction at Capital. MIR is the best at least at private rentals but I am sure they are good most of the time and the facility is very nice and clean. :drive:

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER NATION.......WITH A HEAVY HEART....THEIR HAS BEEN SOME CONTRAVERSEY OVER THE SAID VEHICLE BEEING 100% STOCK DOWN TO THE PAPER FILTERS AND RUNFLAT TIRES.....VIPERJIM WILL BE ABLE TO TELL US IF HIS VEHICLE WAS INDEED 100% STOCK FROM THE FACTORY ON THIS 11.4 RUN.....VIPERJIM...I CAN ONLY ASK THAT YOU TELL US WITH INTEGRITY IF YOUR VEHICLE IS STOCK OR NOT....MANY PEOPLE USE THE WORD STOCK QUITE DIFFERANTLY...tO SOME IT'S 100% THE SAME VEHICLE FROM THE FACTORY..tO SOME IT'S A STOCK BLOCK....PLEASE CLARIFY........

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran 11.42 at 123 mph at Atco stock on runflats.

banshee..This is the second time you have claimed this...Please provide some type of proof and I will gladly add you to the fast list

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER NATION.......WITH A HEAVY HEART....THEIR HAS BEEN SOME CONTRAVERSEY OVER THE SAID VEHICLE BEEING 100% STOCK DOWN TO THE PAPER FILTERS AND RUNFLAT TIRES.....VIPERJIM WILL BE ABLE TO TELL US IF HIS VEHICLE WAS INDEED 100% STOCK FROM THE FACTORY ON THIS 11.4 RUN.....VIPERJIM...I CAN ONLY ASK THAT YOU TELL US WITH INTEGRITY IF YOUR VEHICLE IS STOCK OR NOT....MANY PEOPLE USE THE WORD STOCK QUITE DIFFERANTLY...tO SOME IT'S 100% THE SAME VEHICLE FROM THE FACTORY..tO SOME IT'S A STOCK BLOCK....PLEASE CLARIFY........
Stock is EXACTLY as it came from the factory. ABSOLUTELY no aftermarket THROTTLE BODIES ,AIR FILTERS ECT GEARS DELETED CATS ,ECT .

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock is EXACTLY as it came from the factory. ABSOLUTELY no aftermarket THROTTLE BODIES ,AIR FILTERS ECT GEARS DELETED CATS ,ECT .

I couldnt agree more..........but lets give the said vehicle owner a chance to clarify

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was one of the people racing that day and the car definately ran good times and Jim is a good driver but the car definately had an Aftermarket Billet Throttle Body and K&N Air Filters at minimal, and that is not stock to me, unless it left the factory that way and I am pretty positive no Gen 3's did.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again we should allow time for the owner to clarify...

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It really won't vary much with comparable 60's. The reason you went 123 was because you had a worse 60'. Contrary to popular belief, a worse 60' will produce a higher MPH, when you spin off the line you are letting the tires gain speed earlier than they would if you dead hooked so the car will MPH higher as an end result. For example, my last car (heavy supercharged auto T/A) would go 9.9's at 130MPH dead hooking, and it would go 10.0-10.1 at 134 if it spun a little.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It really won't vary much with comparable 60's. The reason you went 123 was because you had a worse 60'. Contrary to popular belief, a worse 60' will produce a higher MPH, when you spin off the line you are letting the tires gain speed earlier than they would if you dead hooked so the car will MPH higher as an end result. For example, my last car (heavy supercharged auto T/A) would go 9.9's at 130MPH dead hooking, and it would go 10.0-10.1 at 134 if it spun a little.

That makes alot of sense..

Jim where you at?

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That would explain why I got such good mph on a lousy 60 ft.
See sig below

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great time, but if it has been altered even slightly unfortunately it's not stock. If he only has a K&N filter and throttle body, he still is capable of running very close to that time, but again stock is stock.

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back in town from an extended business trip and wow, didn't mean to create a controversy.
As an earlier poster said, at the track growing up, stock meant minor bolt-ons. After reading this thread, in retrospect, I see twister’s intention was doing (100% completely stock).
I have always been upfront with my mods. Even in this post on the original Gen 3 Fast List it states on the video info that the car had a K&N filter.
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/630642-100-stock-gen3-fast-list.html post# 14
And at the track rental two weeks ago I discussed my playing with the mods with Jamie Furman who was also at the rental. My hood was even open about 1/3 of the time I was there. No big secret.

In the interest of setting the record straight:
-My 11.42 run last week had bolt-ons.
-11.52 with K&N (video)
-11.52 @121 100% totally stock
-My highest MPH totally stock was 123 @ 11.61

All these runs were done at MIR during rentals.

FWIW, the throttle body seems like a waste of $400. All it’s done is create a momentary higher idle on deceleration. Definitely more annoying than it’s worth
I believe the car is capable of running the same time with the bolt-ons or without. I am going to remove them this winter due to my lake of satisfaction with their functionality. Especially the throttle body.

Sorry about the confusion.
Have a great holiday.

Jim