Video: Viper reinforces 'image' - saves car

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Video: Viper reinforces \'image\' - saves car

Ok. Without naming names....

Some of you may know that I instruct with one of the NASA chapters. I came up through the ranks driving my Viper and always felt like I was being judged a little more harshly than the other students. When I brought a friend of mine out (ok, so it is John Beasley and those of you that know him know that he and his nitrous equipped Viper are crazy) - he ended up on the receiving end of a tongue lashing when he went off the track in his first session. It was a mistake, but the lecture was worse than typical.

When I became an instructor I brought up that I felt that some instructors were a little harsh on the Viper guys. The other instructors explained that - over and over again - they see Viper owners come out to the track with the big-ball swagger and think they can do anything. they pointed out that a lot of Viper owners have more money that sense. Sadly, I have learned that the image of the Viper owner is often well deserved. In hindsight, I was probably a little arrogant on the track too (I did have some track time.)

Which brings me to my subject at hand:

At the beginning of the year we had a guy show up for school with a monster rig and beautful GTS-R. He was working to get his competition license. When I tried to talk to him (without mentioning that I was a Viper owner, he was arrogant and dismissive). His instructors were frustated with his "I can go faster attitude". To the school he brought a professional pit crew and even a fueling rig. (Sniff: I don't have a fueling rig!) Well, he whacked the car. Most of us thought it was totaled.

Much to my surprise I see the guy roll into the track recently. He'd missed the first day of practice and qualifying and would start the race from the back of the pack. Before the race I talked to him and he was pretty typical, although he did warm up (a bit) this time when I mentioned that I was a Viper owner and suggested some minor things to help a problem he was having.

The race had mixed classes and he was going to have to work his way through some slower traffic on a very tight, technical course. He came zooming through the pack only to attempt a high speed late braking manuever less than a half lap from the start of the race. Folks, I love my Viper, but I don't try too many late brake tricks with it. I let the engine and acceleration work and I tolerate the brakes. The result was a reinforcement of the image of a 'typical Viper' owner.

I have done a little digital color change to the car so as to not embarass anyone. The driver here is nice enough - he just needs to learn to calm down.

High rez version (6 meg) http://www.elams.org/Racing/2002/Kershaw%202002%20Summer/Viper.mpg

Low rez version (1.3 meg) http://www.elams.org/Racing/2002/Kershaw%202002%20Summer/Viper_small.mpg

Make sure to paste the whole address or just come in through the main page of www.elams.org

Oh well! Just thought I would share.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Video: Viper reinforces \'image\' - saves car

Can....

Someone.....

Host.....

This....

Video....

On.....

a......

Server.....

That.....

Can.....

Download......

Faster.....

Than......

bits....

per.....

second.....

PLEASE???????

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I
Thot

it

was

my

connection...
shake.gif

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DanElam:
only to attempt a high speed late braking manuever <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky guy. "Late braking manuever" is an understatement.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In hind sight, looks like that manuever had very little chance of success...

What do you think the impact noice was, his front fascia hitting the inner curb?

Tomer

OP
OP
D

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry guys. The server is getting whacked right now.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can see the front of he Viper hop into the air just a bit at the end it def hit that curb as it swung around. I can't tell from the video though if he was purposely going into the curve too fast on purpose trying some maneuver or just freaked a bit when you had to make a side movement to avoid rear-ending the car in front of you and was temp concerned about avoiding a side collision. Def spit second decisions needing to made on everyone's part. Lots of traffic on that curve and the video doesn't show much "before" the incident.

OP
OP
D

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elite1:
Lots of traffic on that curve and the video doesn't show much "before" the incident.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lots of traffic headed side by side into a curve for one.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Dan,

What kind of Cobra is that? FFR? I know they make a spec car.

Thanks in advance - and cool video.

P.S. - I saw that same Viper at Mid-Ohio, although I did not talk to the owner. Same car though, as one of his crew members told me about the previous accident and rebuilding process. Not many green GTS's either....

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score

oooohhh boy!

I kept watching that video over and over and kept thinking how lucky that guy was. Lucky he didn't crash. Lucky he didn't take everyone else out with him.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I just may get a cheap GTS here yet...

OP
OP
D

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onerareviper:
What kind of Cobra is that? FFR? I know they make a spec car.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. We run the FFR Spec Racer with NASA and occasionally with SCCA in GT-1. It isn't competitive in GT-1 (225 HP vs. 800+ for many of the GT-1 cars).

It is a lot of fun though and cheap racing. Best of all, the car is street legal - not something you can say about most race cars. The cars are faster than 90% of the stuff on the track and very easy to maintain.

I picked the Cobra, in part, because of the Viper. Many similarities. The Cobra is a little faster off the line, but the Viper obviously pulls better above 50MPH. Sometimes I play instructor and run the Cobra and then take the Viper back out on the track. I am always amazed at how 'refined' the Viper feels on the track: very predictable, incredible suspension, etc. Almost like a Buick on the highway. It really makes you appreciate just what a great car the Viper is since it can turn faster laps than the Cobra - even when not in race trim.

As for the codecs, it is just standard MPEG. If you are using the Windows Media Player, you should be able to tell it to get updated codecs. Realplayer will probably work fine too.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Point of note... I think this was the first time ever on this board were a Viper was likened to a Buick...

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would say the others on the track were the fortunate ones. From my very inexperienced view it looks like everything the viperdays instructors told me not to do was done here. Get that guy off the track before he hurts somebody.