VIN ? and 1st gen to 2nd gen ?

shawalka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, visually, I believe the GEN1 motor has 4 metallic strips along each side of the intake manifold, whereas a GEN2 has only 3...someone correct me if Im wrong...

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the VIN should match. Pin stamped on two places on the block.
Rear, right near where the trans adapter bolts up.
Front right just above the oil pan.

The silver ribs on the intake went from 4 to 3 as a '93 running change. The 3 rib is a thinner casting allowing more air flow.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey jes,
If there is an alt. in between the intake, it is a Gen I motor. I believe the Gen II has the alt off to the right side of the engine, not real positve though.

Mike

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was a '93 engine (motors are electric
smile.gif
)Alternator would be in between the throttle bodies, and you would have two throttle cables, one to each throttle body..... a '98 engine has alternator to the side, one throttle cable, and a tie rod between the two throttle bodies.

Engine should be stamped with same VIN as the car in the locations noted in the above post. The one on the right front can be sort of seen from below while the car is on a lift.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Starting in April of '96, the Gen2s were installed in the GTS Coupes and later RTs. Gen1 was produced up through the short run of '96 roadsters. That date sounds like a Gen1. Gen1s have large external coolant tubes running down the sides of the blocks and the thermostat housing is below the coil packs at the back of the motor. Oil pans are different. Heads are different. Blocks are different. 4-rib magnesium intakes were stock on '92-'93 and early '94 RTs. The runners were pressed into the plenums and don't respond well to careless handling. 3-rib units ('94-up) are all cast aluminum. Gen1s have twin throttle cables, and have alternator between throttle bodies, but it might be possible to change the alternator location and use the Gen2 intake. The tuners would know.

It's been over 5 years since I owned a Gen1 so my memory of their particulars has dimmed considerably.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoyV101621:
The silver ribs on the intake went from 4 to 3 as a '93 running change. The 3 rib is a thinner casting allowing more air flow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the 1994+ 3 rib I/M is a THICKER casting, flowing a bit less than the 4-rib 1992-1993 intakes. The 4-rib was cancelled /superceded due to porousity problems. 7 of 10 were scrapped at MREP in the water tank dunking test....they seeped when under pressure! So, Dodge went to a thicker cast aluminum. Side by side, you can see it.

Otherwise, Roy, RIGHT ON as usual...........