VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: VIPAIR™ Dyno Results on 99 RT 16 RWHP!!

MCMM, did your MPH increase?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike,

Yes, I am heckling them to some degree. I would just like to see them defend their product logically rather than just pushing it here on the message board. If you are going to use the forum as an advertisement then you need to defend it here as well. I would hardly consider the 3 minutes I spend responding devoting my time. This is amusement, and it is worth every second.

And why don't I buy them and do the testing? Well, I'm not the one selling it so it ain't my job. :p

Can I interest either of you in this shiny quarter for $1.00?

Well, I don't their defense of the product has been illogical. I mean, they are saying the product helps divert air such that your car is breathing cooler air as opposed to in the stock configuration. At least that's what I'm hearing based on their posts. And from the data they have provided (some dyno results) it appears their data confirms their claims.

Now, their testing procedures may not be scientific as some believe, but others are testing that or will be soon.

I have been on both sides of the fence. Often customers feel they have a "right" to be rude to a business or demand this or that... anyone who owns a business probably sees it all the time. I'm not trying to sound rude, really, but the Vipair guys honestly don't owe you anything. It's your right to buy or not to buy, but there just is no purpose to harassing them about the thing.

I think I did a pretty good job of explaining your question - the $50 product and the $200 product are different in form and possibly function, and price is not related to anything other than perceived value - so that theirs is $150 more ain't much of a problem, IMO. They don't need to "prove" to you that their product is better than the $50 one. They put their data out there and the customer decides to buy it or not. If you feel they don't give enough data, just move on. Or tell them they didn't win you over and move on. But it seems like you've got a personal issue to hash out and I just don't see why. The tests are being done, data will be forthcoming, your questions have been answered, and if you feel others are not satisfying your needs, you ought to step up and satisfy them yourself. Vipair has been made available to you risk-free if you don't like it for any reason. Why not take those guys at their word and see if it works compared to the $50 unit, and if it does, be man enough to admit it.

My .02.

And no I don't want the quarter for $1, but will you sell it to me for $0.01?

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Edmonton,

Why not just give me the money. You and your friends don't seem to care about it. Let me know and I will send you the address to send the check.

Mike,

Yes, I am heckling them to some degree. I would just like to see them defend their product logically rather than just pushing it here on the message board.

They are not pushing it. They are offering it. Take it or leave it. I think it is too bad that you have to heckle this guys. By the way you have not answered if you have had both...

If you are going to use the forum as an advertisement then you need to defend it here as well. I would hardly consider the 3 minutes I spend responding devoting my time. This is amusement, and it is worth every second.

But it is a new product. Let it get out and have people do tests. Then if it doesn't work, heckle all you want. Why is this amusement to you. I re-read all the posts and you have not brought one shread of credibility. You are here to instigate, like the NOS comment for 400$. *** was that? That is not the subject.

And why don't I buy them and do the testing? Well, I'm not the one selling it so it ain't my job. :p

That is fine...but you are not a henchman either. Are you the voice of the community? Let people do their own testing and report back.

Can I interest either of you in this shiny quarter for $1.00?

Vipah, I used to say that about 15 years ago, you know way back when 200$ actually meant something (it obviously does to you). You have not answered my question as to having a stake in the other company.

What is with the hostility over this F'in thread!? There has got to be a history here that I am not aware of. Because if there isn't, this pathetic.

Vipah, were you screwed over on another product or what? I am trying to figure out why the hostility from your part? No flames, I am serious. What happened that is leaving my out of the loop.

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

MHOC: I like your logic, someone I can totally agree with.

Scott has been and remains good source of parts and good prices and timely knowledgable service. He backs his products which is important to me, and yes I will pay more to support people who provide me with top notch service.

Non scientific results, I am not a drag racer. I turned a 12:19 at 118 mph,my best time to that point. my next time at the track with T&D's and Vipair cold air intake system (Norwalk for skeptics) 11:56 at 125.76 mph. How much was from the T&D's?, was any due to Vipair. I don't know, the whole package helped and I am satisfied.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Just ordered the product from Advantage. Will report back on how it does at the strip - not interested in dyno numbers

In the past I have done similar things funneling more air to a highly modified 5.0 liter Mustang with great success - a homemade ram air with a simple 4 inch flex pipe to air box netted 2 tenths and 2 mph - simply took out headlight when at drag strip and ran hose to air box - cool air from outside engine compartment does wonders - you do not have to spend a lot of money always to get real gains in performance

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MHQC,

If $200 doesn't mean anything to you, send it my way.

I don't think I am being hostile (at least not trying to be). I am being direct and trying to use some sarcasm and cajoling to get people to think.

I have no interest in either company or product. I would like to see the difference between the two since one is so much cheaper.

As far as being screwed over on other products no. But I do grow very tired of paying more for things because of where I live or what car I drive.

Mike,

The quality of one versus the other is a very good point. Have you looked at both close up to come to your opinion?As far as stepping up and satisfying my own needs that is foolish. The seller has to sell, and anyone who owns their own business knows this well. The problem with many businesses today is that they have forgotten completely about customer service and have the wrong attitude.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MHQC,

If $200 doesn't mean anything to you, send it my way.

I don't think I am being hostile (at least not trying to be). I am being direct and trying to use some sarcasm and cajoling to get people to think.

I have no interest in either company or product. I would like to see the difference between the two since one is so much cheaper.

As far as being screwed over on other products no. But I do grow very tired of paying more for things because of where I live or what car I drive.

Mike,

The quality of one versus the other is a very good point. Have you looked at both close up to come to your opinion?As far as stepping up and satisfying my own needs that is foolish. The seller has to sell, and anyone who owns their own business knows this well. The problem with many businesses today is that they have forgotten completely about customer service and have the wrong attitude. [/quote

Well i am to assume that you have just grouped us into the "customer service" statement you have made.Have you ever purchased anything from us before.If you had you would know that we PRIDE! ourselves in our customer service.Anyone that knows us or has dealt with us knows this to be a fact.As far as having the wrong attitude,where in any of our responces other than maybe this one do you see that.Certain things about this thread i have found amusing and informative.This i take as a personal attack.Maybe i am being thin skinned but as i said i pride myself on having bullit proof customer service day or night for all of my customers and noncustomers.We offer a 100% money back gaurantee on all products and services we sell.If you call me to ask a simple question like what time is it,I will probably tell you how the clock was made.So please until you know first hand how we do buisiness please limit your doubts to the product not the Co. And if i read to much into your statement do not take offence

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipermed,

I think you took the customer service comment in a way it was not intended. It was a general comment on business in response to a comment that was brought up by Mike. Sorry if I offended you.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipermed,

I think you took the customer service comment in a way it was not intended. It was a general comment on business in response to a comment that was brought up by Mike. Sorry if I offended you.
Thanks,No offense taken :)

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

After all this debate I purchased the Advantage product.. It came in today and I installed it about 2 hours ago (took about 10 minutes). Easy to install and easy to see how the benefit is gained. Conceptually I think the vipair and advantage product strive to accomplish the same thing, forcing the engine to only receive ambient air. The advantage product doesn't look bad but it doesn't draw attention to itself. If someone were interested in a really sharp engine compartment the vipair system woudl probably be better.. Here's how the advantage product installs and works --Once the front access panel in front of the airbox is removed The foam piece tucks up under the rubber lip by the front of the hood(between the headlights).. It then makes a U-shape as it is bent back to meet each side of the airbox. It is fastened in place in several areas and is quite secure. It's placement creates a tight seal between the radiator mount/front end/ and hood. There is no way when the hood is closed that it can relocate itself to the engine compartment. The worse case scenario I can tell is aging, especially if you drive your viper in the rain and water continues to wear away at the piece. Conceptually, after installing it, I can see how it makes sure no engine compartment air is brought into the intake.. what actually power gains that yields is yet to be determined. I run consistent 11.89-11.94's and will be out at the track Sunday..I'll report any improvements monday...

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipermed,
I'll have to say that your offer to send out a sample Vipair to be tested shows that you are more than fair in your dealings. As a business man, you have my respect.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipair initial impression.

Just received my test unit by Fedex, thanks Edmonton. The product is very good quality, and if a non viper owner would see it on the car they would think it is stock. Which is what I always look for in a product, I like things neat.

Installation is a sinch took me 5 min, most of which is turning a wrench, too lazy to fire up the air compressor.

Going to go out driving the car tonight and will give my initial feel report. And on Sunday will begin to do pressure testing in the air box.

Dyno testing will be sometime next week.

Am going right now to buy the fittings necessary to do the pressure testing.

Stay tuned.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mad Man,

Can you comment on the quality (or not) of the advantage product?

Vipah, as you can see from the website there is not much too it. It is made of a large, thick piece of foam and a bracket to hold it in place to the airbox. It is supposed to serve the same purpose as the Vipair. You barely notice it when you open the hood. If you are the kind of person who is constantly opening up the hood to show off the engine and you think another $150 is worth it since it looks prettier, then go with the Vipair. I may only keep this on the car when I run down the drag strip, which isn't much. If I can get another tenth with this for the $40-$50 it cost, then it's good to me.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

MCMM, did your MPH increase?

It looks like I averaged about 115 mph on the 8 runs I did before the Advantage Performance cold air intake and about 116 mph on the 8 runs I did after it was installed. My best MPH ever a year or so ago was 120 mph.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

MHQC,

Just why would you like paying $200 for something if you can get the same performance for $50??? Its logic like yours that confirms PT Barnum's assertion as true today as it was then.

This coming from a guy in the state of CA where they spend $38B more than they have! :D

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

MHQC,

Just why would you like paying $200 for something if you can get the same performance for $50??? Its logic like yours that confirms PT Barnum's assertion as true today as it was then.

OR: This coming from a guy that would buy a $50 piece of foam over ebay instead of $5 at Home Depot for the same thing! :D

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some early reports from some of my testing.

The drivability at least by SOTP was not affected, neither was the hissing sound made by the naca duct. I was looking forward to experiencing a quicker feeling car, however that did not happen.

Pressure testing took a setback today because my vacum/boost guage seems to be on the fritz. Going to go buy another one this week hopefully early in the week.

stay tuned.

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Update -- went to the track sunday.. Unfortunately there were so many jokers in junk boxes breaking and leaving oil everywhere that I only got 4 runs.. My mile per hour was up by about 1mph on each run.. couldn't really give an opinion other than that as of yet because of the limited amount of runs. going back wednesday night and will report back..

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I know the is the Vipeair thread, but a few posters have ordered the Viper "Advantage" thingy and are supposed to report back, so please let us know if you are reporting results of anything other than the Vipeair. Better yet, start a new thread for the Advantage.
Thanks

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my post earlier was for the advantage product..

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok finished pressure testing tonight, so here it is.

There is no difference in airbox pressure with or without the Vipair. Tested pre and post filter and found out that the airbox stays basically at atmospheric at all times.

Even blasts to 120mph on the local closed section of the 118 freeway netted no positive pressure in the box. These are the same results as I experience initially but I figured my pressure guage was bad, guess I was wrong.

I know some expressed that they would like the pressure metering device to be more sensitive to pressure but there is really no point. Anything smaller than normal pressure guage vacuum would not be noticeable or measurable on a dyno.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the update Russ,

So to sum it all up there was no seat of the pants feel of improvement and no measurable increase in air pressure in the airbox.
Even at 120mph!

I believe that the Vipair device may show a small gain on a dyno but no gain on the street.

I believe the increase on the dyno is cause by poor airflow on the dyno.

The Vipair may direct cooler air under these conditions but it will not show improvement on the street because there is no need to direct air at highway speed.

Anyone have any better data than Russ has given us?

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe,

Russ mentioned that any pressure increase was not meaningful. That's not quite the same as not measurable.

Pressure on the nose of the car, at the speeds mentioned, is likely to be close to 1 psi. Russ' gage may or may not have had the sensitivity to measure such pressures. Changing gages certainly won't make the pressures meaningful to Russ, however, the whole point of this thread was accurate, objective data. Your statement may add to the confusion over ram air.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ,
How do you explain the fact that your results are different than those measured by the GTSR Lemans developers at Chryler? Didn't they find that there was a vaccuum situation created at speed with the stock airbox and NACA duct?
Steve

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ seems to have some measured data. He made the measurement and it turned out that there is no pressure difference when the Vipair is used.

Rather than asking him questions about why there is no pressure difference or why his results are not the same as some other test, that we have no data from, I would think that the scientific method would call for a replication of his testing by anyone who would disagree with his data.

If there have been other measurements, let's see the data.

As for there being one psi overpressure on the front of the car, where did that data come from?

Again,
1. We have some data that shows no pressure increase.
2. We have an article that I posted a link to, that says there is no ram effect at car speeds.

What data do you folks have?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is gettin good! :shocked:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Russ,
How do you explain the fact that your results are different than those measured by the GTSR Lemans developers at Chryler? Didn't they find that there was a vaccuum situation created at speed with the stock airbox and NACA duct?
Steve

Yes they did but that was on the outside of the hood. They discovered that the air pocket arround the naca duct at certain speeds restricted flow into the duct.

My testing measured inside the air box, I dont have access to a windtunnel. Not yet at least ;)

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe,

Russ mentioned that any pressure increase was not meaningful. That's not quite the same as not measurable.

Pressure on the nose of the car, at the speeds mentioned, is likely to be close to 1 psi. Russ' gage may or may not have had the sensitivity to measure such pressures. Changing gages certainly won't make the pressures meaningful to Russ, however, the whole point of this thread was accurate, objective data. Your statement may add to the confusion over ram air.

I didnt say any pressure was not meaningful, what I said was that pressure difference not measurable by a boost/vacum guage would be insignificant. The problem with measuring pressure in the airbox is that the bottom of the box is open for the rain baffles, so any positive pressure you can force in the box is probably getting released through the rain baffles.

I used 2 different guages to make sure the problem was not with the instrument, and then put the guages on another car to make sure they measured boost and vacum accuratly.

Dyno testing is probably going to happen tonight :D . I am on my way to the shop in an hour or so.

Stay tuned.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did anyone think there would be a pressure gain? I think the Vipair guys are claiming cooler air (obviously ambient is as cool as you can get - but cooler than air coming through the NACA duct anyways). Cooler air will always = more power. This may be hard to guage on a dyno, because it's hard to replicate the way airflow happens in the real world when you're on the dyno.

There was another guy that suggested using the factory intake air temp sensor and an outside ambient sensor to check the difference with the stock setup vs. Vipair. That is the way to go, IMO. I don't think a pressure difference will show because to get that you would be doing some serious wind tunnel testing and custom aero on the car - not just a plastic duct. I thought it was all about intake air temp all along?

I'm very interested to hear Russ's dyno results - I guess they will be positive.

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What I would like to know is similar to Mike Brunton's question... Is a product like the vipair or performance product able to allow the engine to ingest cooler air than the stock air box/intake configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4