Viper Car Cover... Which one...?

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to get a car cover for my 05' Viper and my 96' GTS.

I came across this one on Viper Parts of America.
Was looking to see if anyone here has this cover and how they like it...

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/products/2003-2010-viper-srt10-roadster-oem-car-cover-82207933

Also if anyone can recommend some other covers that would be great.

Both cars are always garaged and I'd like to keep them covered when parked in the garage.
I have this cover, I use it indoors but it seems like it is meant for outdoors, works great though. I would consider a stretch satin cover for indoors duty only since this cover is very heavy and gets hooked up on sun visors when covering a drop top with top down, my opinion only of course.

OP
OP
D

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Peter.
How does the fabric feel on it? I'm looking for something that won't scratch the paint or mar it.
But also want something that will protect the car from minor impacts. The sun visors on my car have been removed so that won't be a issue with them getting hung up on the cover. But I usually have the top up when the car is in the garage.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are really concerned about scratches, get a satin cover, considerably softer to touch than this cover and lighter. The OEM cover is coated with weather guard shield (which adds weight) on top and it has exposed nylon type of backing. If you intend to have it on and off often and do not dust off your car well before covering it, I would definitely go with satin. For me, this cover works well, at least for now. I may eventually get a satin cover though and keep this one for spare or unlikely event of keeping the car outdoors. Since you have a drop top, I would stay away from any covers with flannel interior, these covers leave lint on the fabric top. Also, you better make sure the sills are cool to touch before using this cover, this cover will melt if exposed to heat.
Thanks for the input Peter.
How does the fabric feel on it? I'm looking for something that won't scratch the paint or mar it.
But also want something that will protect the car from minor impacts. The sun visors on my car have been removed so that won't be a issue with them getting hung up on the cover. But I usually have the top up when the car is in the garage.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that info Peter.
Much appreciated!
Anytime, just sharing many years of experience with cloth drop tops and car covers.:D Again, if you never ever intend to store the car outdoors, I would not get this cover.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OEM cover works great in my opinion and the fit is perfect.

BTW, my car is black and hasn't scratched the paint.

If you are worried about snagging your sun visors when the top is down, just push them down before putting the cover on :rolleyes:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CoverKing Satin Stretch. Conforms to the car and has a velour-like material on the inside, yet still folds up compactly. Free shipping from AutoAccessoriesGarage.com. Their blurb:

"Wrap your garage-kept ride in satin for a smooth, seamless look. The Coverking Satin Stretch Car Cover features a soft satin material blended with stretchy Lycra to create a cover that holds tight to the contours of your car or truck. Every Satin Stretch cover is custom-made and boasts unique stitching methods and invisible seams for the most subtle, sleek protection for your vehicle.

The Coverking Satin Stretch not only looks great - it provides total protection from indoor storage hazards like dust and dings. The satin material sits soft on your ride and safely blocks dust and dirt. The cover is also fully breathable to prevent moisture and heat buildup that can do damage to even garage-kept cars.

To fit your taste, the Satin Stretch is available in a wide array of single and two-tone colors. With the vibrant, snug-fitting Satin Stretch you can show your car off, even under the cover! Coverking backs your Satin Stretch Car Cover with a 1-Year Warranty."

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OEM cover works great in my opinion and the fit is perfect.

BTW, my car is black and hasn't scratched the paint.

If you are worried about snagging your sun visors when the top is down, just push them down before putting the cover on :rolleyes:
Sun visors help me to unroll the OEM cover on the car by providing extra support with the top down, the OEM cover is very heavy. The OEM cover has a plastic rear license plate cut out which not only indicates an outdoor use but also creates an opportunity to put some swirl marks in the paint. I am not knocking the OEM cover, it is a good overall cover, just pointing out that for indoor only purpose, there are more suitable solutions, with Duststop and Satin working great on fabric top and no opportunity to cause any marks at all.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CoverKing Satin Stretch. Conforms to the car and has a velour-like material on the inside, yet still folds up compactly. Free shipping from AutoAccessoriesGarage.com. Their blurb:

"Wrap your garage-kept ride in satin for a smooth, seamless look. The Coverking Satin Stretch Car Cover features a soft satin material blended with stretchy Lycra to create a cover that holds tight to the contours of your car or truck. Every Satin Stretch cover is custom-made and boasts unique stitching methods and invisible seams for the most subtle, sleek protection for your vehicle.

The Coverking Satin Stretch not only looks great - it provides total protection from indoor storage hazards like dust and dings. The satin material sits soft on your ride and safely blocks dust and dirt. The cover is also fully breathable to prevent moisture and heat buildup that can do damage to even garage-kept cars.

To fit your taste, the Satin Stretch is available in a wide array of single and two-tone colors. With the vibrant, snug-fitting Satin Stretch you can show your car off, even under the cover! Coverking backs your Satin Stretch Car Cover with a 1-Year Warranty."
I doubt the OEM cover breathes a lot, seems pretty water resistant or maybe even waterproof to me.

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought mine from California Car Cover because there were some good recommendations on here

I bought the most extreme outdoor weather version - but the rear always blows off! I have to tie it down with about 5 different ropes in order to get it to stay. Seems pretty useless to have a storm proof cover which just blows off in high wind...

It does fit well though and is very waterproof, so I dunno, maybe it's unreasonable for me to expect it to stay on without tying it down.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking to get a car cover for my 05' Viper and my 96' GTS.I came across this one on Viper Parts of America.Was looking to see if anyone here has this cover and how they like it...https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...0-viper-srt10-roadster-oem-car-cover-82207933Also if anyone can recommend some other covers that would be great.Both cars are always garaged and I'd like to keep them covered when parked in the garage.
I have a brand new, still in the unopened box, OEM Gen3/4 car cover. Same one as VPA sells. If interested, send me a pm.I just bought a Coverking Satin Stretch custom fit cover for my new Grand Sport convertible and I am extremely happy with it. If you are looking for an indoor cover, you can't go wrong with this one. I suggest that you go to their website and request a free sample swatch.

OP
OP
D

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ive also got some replys from members on here which have offered to sell me their car cover which happen to be brand new for a discounted price over the vca's prices. which i very much appreciate.

one of those members said his cover works for both the 3/4 gen roadster and the coupe?
but.... looking at the vca site they show 2 different covers 1 for the roadster and 1 for the coupe...
maybe i misunderstood him but it sounded like he has one that works for both roadster and coupe? maybe some1 can clear this up for me.

thanks and here is the links to the 2 different ones...

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/products/2003-2010-viper-srt10-roadster-oem-car-cover-82207933

https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com/index.php/products/2003-2010-viper-srt10-coupe-oem-car-cover-82210076

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Derek.

Below is a picture of the label on the box of the new cover I have in the original unopened box. This cover came with my 2010 B/W Coupe. The label says its for both Coupes and Roadsters.
I also have a used OEM cover from my last Gen 3 roadster if you are interested. It is part number 82207933.

You must be registered for see images attach

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the fitted cover from the factory with the viper logo on it. Used it once and never again! When dust gets between the cover and the car it will leave small scratches on the mirrors and other places where the fitted cover is snug to the car. When you try to remove the cover or even putting it on, there is not way to keep it from rubbing against the paint. I have a black vert and you can see very well where the contact is between the cover and the car.

Best thing I did, (kinda extreme though) had my trailer built so it will fit inside the garage. Now I pull the car in the trailer, and the trailer in the garage:D No dust, no scratches, no worries about kids bikes etc. Works great!

OP
OP
D

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have the fitted cover from the factory with the viper logo on it. Used it once and never again! When dust gets between the cover and the car it will leave small scratches on the mirrors and other places where the fitted cover is snug to the car. When you try to remove the cover or even putting it on, there is not way to keep it from rubbing against the paint. I have a black vert and you can see very well where the contact is between the cover and the car.

Best thing I did, (kinda extreme though) had my trailer built so it will fit inside the garage. Now I pull the car in the trailer, and the trailer in the garage:D No dust, no scratches, no worries about kids bikes etc. Works great!

lol yeah maybe a lil extreme but that will work! and with a black car that is a must!
i do auto detailing on the side and im yet to do a paint correction on my 05' vert but plan to in the new month or 2 when i get some free time. but after i do i want to keep it looking good. Ive been putting of getting car cover because im afraid of just that getting the cover rubbing and scratching the clear coat paint. Im a bit OCD and i even detail the under side of my car where people pretty much don't ever see it lol but before i put a car cover on the car it will be fully dusted off and free of any little debri or dust.

ive gotten some offers on new car covers people have offered but ive also been thinking about the good satin ones a few people hacve mentioned. but find it a little bit hard to fork out 400 bills just for a car cover. i wasn't really looking to spend more than 100-150 but kinda looking like 200+ is what im going to have to spend minimum to get a decent cover. i even looked at the 20-30 cheapy car covers at wal-mart. lol hell no thanks!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shop around and you will get a decent deal on the satin cover. There is an old sayin, you get what you pay for.
lol yeah maybe a lil extreme but that will work! and with a black car that is a must!
i do auto detailing on the side and im yet to do a paint correction on my 05' vert but plan to in the new month or 2 when i get some free time. but after i do i want to keep it looking good. Ive been putting of getting car cover because im afraid of just that getting the cover rubbing and scratching the clear coat paint. Im a bit OCD and i even detail the under side of my car where people pretty much don't ever see it lol but before i put a car cover on the car it will be fully dusted off and free of any little debri or dust.

ive gotten some offers on new car covers people have offered but ive also been thinking about the good satin ones a few people hacve mentioned. but find it a little bit hard to fork out 400 bills just for a car cover. i wasn't really looking to spend more than 100-150 but kinda looking like 200+ is what im going to have to spend minimum to get a decent cover. i even looked at the 20-30 cheapy car covers at wal-mart. lol hell no thanks!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are a little bit more but the Satin covers are worth it....IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Derek Short

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very nice!
What's the going rate for one of those?
And how is the quality on them? How you like the material?
Really liking the stripes!

They are a little bit more but the Satin covers are worth it....IMO

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice!
What's the going rate for one of those?
And how is the quality on them? How you like the material?
Really liking the stripes!

It's been a couple of years but it seems like it was around $400.00. Might check the website for the latest pricing.

The quality is very good. The photos were taken when the covers were new. After they have been on the car for a while, they fit even better. The material is satin on one side and a soft cotton on the other.

As far as as scratches caused by the cover...
Scratches are caused by dirt particles. If your car is clean before you put the cover on, there's nothing to scratch the paint....:dunno:

There's a right and a wrong way to put the cover on also. JUNKMAN has a very good video in the DETAIL forum on how to do this.

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the tried and true Noah 'Evolution' Block-It fabric. I have had it for 3 cars and they work great. I store the car indoors, but this is an outdoor material, so its a little thicker. It is highly water resistant and breathable, so it keep water out, but lets any moisture/humidity escape as well.

As treesnake said - it won't scratch if the car is clean. I will use my California Duster on the car before I cover it, and I always put the top up. This fabric will not get lint on the top. The material is some synthetic non-scratching stuff. It also fits really well. It is a little bulky, but fits perfectly in my trunk when I go out.

I think this fabric is marketed under several brands and names, but its a Kimberly-Clark fabric.

I also like it because its a little thicker and textured, which gives me the illusion that it might protect the car a little better against the kids.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
California Car Cover sells a cloth cover with a soft felt type lining on the inside. Its a very durable cover and breathes well. I use it on cars that I need to store outside overnight. It is not good for wet weather. I like it because its soft, wears well, washes well and is really easy on the paint. VPA may have an account with them.