Viper Plant Goes Into OT

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From today's Automotive News:

"For the first time, Chrysler LLC's Conner Avenue (Detroit) plant will work overtime. In the past, the plant would increase the line speed for the Dodge Vipers built there instead of scheduling overtime".

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wondered if they'd do that...speed up the production a bit, get those '08's OUT THERE ALREADY!!! LOL....thanx for the update! ~juli

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmmmm..............................me thinks this might give folks an idea that our beloved beast is moving along just fine, and is viewed in a very brilliant light by the new powers that be.

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are any of these going to hit the dealerships around the country or are they mostly direct orders people put in? I'm just wondering how quickly I'll get to see one in person.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good! If only more down-the-line pictures of the cars after the raffle Viper would be possible (hint hint) :) .. would love to see the first few cars built.

MQQNVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Curious quote: "From today's Automotive News:

"For the first time, Chrysler LLC's Conner Avenue (Detroit) plant will work overtime. In the past, the plant would increase the line speed for the Dodge Vipers built there instead of scheduling overtime"."

Then what were all of those TEN-HOUR days and SATURDAYS that we used to work at Conner? It sure felt like OT -- usually unpaid -- to me!!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

MQQNVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, I figured out where I went wrong. This IS the first time that the "Chrysler LLC Conner plant" has worked OT. All the rest were either Chrysler or DamnearChrysler's Conner plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From today's Automotive News:

"For the first time, Chrysler LLC's Conner Avenue (Detroit) plant will work overtime. In the past, the plant would increase the line speed for the Dodge Vipers built there instead of scheduling overtime".

You had it BEFORE Automotive News because I had already posted this PLAN back on Sept 22nd: 1-2 extra hours per day = + 1-2 units; plus 8 hours on SATURDAY = +8 units.

Good news, but old news.... and this is absolutely NOT the 1st time that CAAP has worked an OT schedule, but possibly with the SRT10 it is.....

Last edited:

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I keep hearing that $4 gas will kill all of the high horsepower, or large cubic in. engines that are being made now. It's ironic that MANY of these high horsepower and "gas guzzlers" are being made, sold, and driven in Europe, even though gas costs between $6 and $7 a gallon, and maybe more now. Do people really think that out of 300 million people, Chrysler won't sell 1,500 new Vipers because of $4 gas? What a joke! Then I also hear......well.....look at all the 06's still on lots.......my answer then is....... Well.......people knew that a new car was coming out, and they are waiting to purchase then! Let's be real.....$4 gas won't hold people with the urge to spend from buying a new Viper......$3 a gallon gas doesn't deter me WHAT-SO-EVER from driving the Viper anywhere! Remember the difference of .50 per gallon is only $5 total increase with 10 gallons of gas.....if someone can afford a Viper, they can afford to put $4 gas in it!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is good news in the short term for those of us waiting on our cars. I hope demand stays strong so values hold up better than they did in the 2003-04 time period. Once the early demand was supplied--2003--the pricing fell apart in 2004. Just too many cars. I have heard the 2008 model run is going to be 500 less than originally planned. Time will tell.:)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is good news for people with cars ordered.

As for $4/gallon, who here is really concerned with gas prices if they can afford a toy Viper? I'm not concerned.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep hearing that $4 gas will kill all of the high horsepower, or large cubic in. engines that are being made now. It's ironic that MANY of these high horsepower and "gas guzzlers" are being made, sold, and driven in Europe, even though gas costs between $6 and $7 a gallon, and maybe more now. Do people really think that out of 300 million people, Chrysler won't sell 1,500 new Vipers because of $4 gas? What a joke! Then I also hear......well.....look at all the 06's still on lots.......my answer then is....... Well.......people knew that a new car was coming out, and they are waiting to purchase then! Let's be real.....$4 gas won't hold people with the urge to spend from buying a new Viper......$3 a gallon gas doesn't deter me WHAT-SO-EVER from driving the Viper anywhere! Remember the difference of .50 per gallon is only $5 total increase with 10 gallons of gas.....if someone can afford a Viper, they can afford to put $4 gas in it!

I'd switch to caffeine free beverages. :omg:

:deveek: :deveek: :deveek: :deveek: :deveek: :deveek:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And then Violet was after the snakeskin green, correct? Very very cool!! Thanx Chad and JonB...also for Jon's predictions wayyyyy back about the build schedule. Exciting!! ~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look Chad. I think this one is yours.

You must be registered for see images
No, Dave--they go with the Viper Orange...orange and snakeskin green? :smirk: NAH! ~juli
2021.JPG

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overtime? Hmm, tired workers.

Overtimed workers are better than hurried workers, as would be the case if they sped up the line. 10-14 work hours are only ******* your personal life. With commute, you still get around 10 hours worth of downtime. As long as it's not a permanent thing, most workers would benefit by it... as will the build quality of the Vipers.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmmmmm..............................me thinks this might give folks an idea that our beloved beast is moving along just fine, and is viewed in a very brilliant light by the new powers that be.

Absolutely. It's been the only recent Dodge product to be covered so extensively by the magazines, and it's crazy that it hasn't made it out into the market yet ...

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.. only JonB! Many thanks for the picture and thereby fulfilling my wishful thinking :2tu: :headbang:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So, do we need to start a little friendly wager on when the first real one hits the streets? My guess 11/16 - although I am betting on a factory pick-up.