Viper Reliability?

Marcus Frost

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

After having spent considerably more time around Vipers in the past few weeks, I've been doing some "innocent" poking around. I've always been a major fan of the snake, and have recently contemplated the possibility of purchasing one. I'm not really that serious about it, I'm really just browsing, but I wanted to ask you all about the Viper in terms of reliability.

If I were to join the Viper crowd, it would definitely be '98-'00 GTS (ideally, an '00 Steel Grey GTS). So when discussing reliability issues, keep in mind those are the years I am targeting.

It's pretty clear that *very* few Viper owners put a lot of miles on their cars. Browsing the classifieds on this board makes that abundantly clear. But for those of you who do drive the car a bit, how has the reliability been? My current "toy" gets about 5000-8000 miles a year. I like to drive my toys. The car will see limited track time. Once or twice at a road course, maybe a half dozen trips to the drag strip. Nothing crazy. I drive in a pretty civil manner on the street as well.

Modifications would probably only consist of big brakes, headers, exhaust (no cats), and some other minor bolt ons. Nothing crazy.

So from experience, how have these cars held up? What are the most typical problems, if any? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-m

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The battery dies a lot...
laugh.gif

Seriously, I think you will find that outside of a few quirks that the cars hold up well, even when driven hard. Quite a few people on this board use them as daily drivers. Still others track them quite a bit with no major problems. As you know, I like to tinker, so I work on mine quite a bit. But it is mostly because I WANT to.
biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marcus Frost:

I drive in a pretty civil manner on the street as well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really, then what was that little yellow paper you showed me the other day??
laugh.gif

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my 97 GTS last November. It had 42,000 miles on it. (I was original owner.) The car was well-maintained, oil changed every 3000 miles, fluids at recommended intervals. In just over three years of operation, the repairs done to my car were:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>I had the Intake Manifold gaskets replaced in the first 6 months. All 97's had crappy gaskets; there was a TSB on this. I found out about the TSB thru this message board and requested they replace the gaskets.
<LI>Sometime in the second year of operation, an O2 sensor died, creating an occasional loss of power. That problem was difficult for the Viper tech to diagnose; he ultimately had to attach a "co-pilot" device which recorded engine codes when the problem arose. The O2 sensor was replaced.
<LI>One of the wiper motors died. Vipers have two motors and a control module. The Viper tech guessed wrong twice, so with parts on galactic backorder and two return visits to service, it took about six weeks to solve this problem.
<LI>The engine developed a detonation problem at full throttle. My Viper tech made an adjustment (sorry, I don't know what) which cleared it up for a while, but it resurfaced just before I sold the car. This was fixed by replacing the intake manifold gaskets (again).
<LI>Just before I sold the car, a mechanically-inclined friend was giving my car a once-over and noticed a fair amount of oil on the underside of the engine. There was obviously some kind of leak, and I'm still trying to figure out how my Viper tech could change the oil every 3000 miles and not notice the seepage. I decided to switch service departments, and my new Viper tech ended up replacing the front and rear main seals and the timing chain cover and gasket before the leak went away. I believe this problem is not uncommon to Vipers, especially around the timing chain cover.
<LI>The car now (with a new owner) has about 44,000 miles on it, and just this past weekend, the plastic! power steering pulley shattered.
[/list]

Despite this list of problems, I still consider the Viper to be a very reliable vehicle. In 30 years of car ownership, this car was the only one which ever developed an oil leak. Of course, it was also the only one with 450 HP. I attribute the engine seals and gasket problems, as well as the plastic power steering pulley issue, to less than top-quality components. However, I should point out that several of these problems developed after 35,000 miles. And every repair was covered under warranty and/or extended warranty.

I bought my car to drive, not park in the garage and worship. The 97 did a couple of Viper Days events and a couple of autocrosses, but it certainly wasn't abused or flogged. Overall, considering the recent repair history, I'd have to check the box labeled "higher incidence of repair than normal." I'm sure there are other Viper owners who have had better luck than I. But I'm not complaining. I loved my 97 Viper, and I love my 2001. Nothing else you can buy will give you the satisfaction that the Viper does. I notice that you own a Toyota. If you think the problems I've encountered are excessive and unacceptable, and you base vehicle satisfaction on comfort and rock-solid reliability and not on all-out performance, the Viper's probably not the car for you.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have not had my Viper for too long (less than a year) and no problems yet. I would guess they are about as reliable as a Late model Corvette (may get flamed for this) They are no Honda when it comes to reliability, but no honda can give you a 12 sec 1/4 mile either. I think when you take a look at other cars in the Vipers class you will find it does quite well. Your best bet would be get one with an extended warranty so you don't need to worry.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 GTS also. Intake manifold gasket replacement..... and 02 sensors as well. But other than that....... fine... two round trips from S. FL. to VA. through the mountains.. and back.

No problems. 31,500 accumulated miles so far. Drive fairly hard.

Great car. I love it.

Robert Dyck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ron Hickey:
I sold my 97 GTS last November. It had 42,000 miles on it. (I was original owner.)

=================================================

Ron,, I'm very curious......may I ask what you sold the car for?

OP
OP
M

Marcus Frost

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Really, then what was that little yellow paper you showed me the other day??
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was a congratulations certificate from John Law telling me how pleased he was to find me doing 29mph over the posted speed limit. It even had a smiley face at the bottom... :rolleyes: Before anyone jumps the gun and calls me irresponsible, I was simply trying to get around some slow cars in the fast lane. Traffic was minimal overall, and while I know passing on the right is a no-no, we know that all too often in this country the right lane somehow turns into the fast lane. So I got on it to get by some congestion, and I passed the State Trooper who just used the "pacing" tactic to write me up. My fault, I didn't see him.

I don't mind "quirks" with a car. I know enough about sports cars in general to know that they generally involve a trade off. And while I've had my reservations towards the Viper in the past for a few reasons, but this was based on fairly limited experience. I find that cars tend to grow on me the more time I spend around them. I was pretty much the same way when I first started to read about the Toyota Supra... and look where I am now.

In any event, thanks to everyone for the responses. Now I guess the only thing I have left after riding in 4 Vipers now, is to actually drive one, eh Chuckie boy?
laugh.gif

I doubt many dealerships would be willing to let someone at my young age take one of their "prized possessions" out for a twirl. It's funny, last time I went to a Chevy dealership, the salesman was ready to have me take out one of their Z06s while there was still ice outside. He hadn't seen my ID yet though.

I guess we'll just see what develops. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

-m

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marcus you are a dreamer. Even Chuck doesn't drive his Viper.
smile.gif

You may be able to get a test drive by looking at a used Viper. If you know enough about the car, and drive your Supra there, you should be able to get a test drive. I know I had a MUCH easier time test driving used Vipers than new ones.

For what it is worth, however, it is much more fun to be a passenger in someone else's than test drive one. They do take some getting used to.

OP
OP
M

Marcus Frost

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWoodbury:
Marcus you are a dreamer. Even Chuck doesn't drive his Viper.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am familiar with Chuck's Viper driving habits (or I should, lack thereof), but it's fun to give guys like him a jab here and there, you know?
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You may be able to get a test drive by looking at a used Viper. If you know enough about the car, and drive your Supra there, you should be able to get a test drive. I know I had a MUCH easier time test driving used Vipers than new ones.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever I can get would be fine with me to be honest, as long as it's a GenII. I'm not a stranger to high-hp cars as my Supra now is in the 450-500hp range (still have to dyno with my most recent mods) and I've driven it quite a bit. I'm not going to say they are identical cars, because a Viper just rips your head off with all of it's torque, whereas a Supra pushes you back in your seat kind of like a fat lady slowly sitting on your chest. At least I'm not jumping up from some 160hp Civic Si...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>For what it is worth, however, it is much more fun to be a passenger in someone else's than test drive one. They do take some getting used to.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, after last Thursday, it makes 4 drives where I've been the passenger in with various Vipers. The ride with Scott was definitely the most "spirited", so I guess all that lacks now is taking one out myself. I'm not in any real hurry though, so I'm sure the time will come.

-m

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marcus Frost on 07-31-2001 at 05:46 PM</font>

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marcus, *****,

I'll spare you the H-bomb blast of cyber-antagonism as I will see BOTH of you in person this week. Besides, it seems like every thread I touch this week gets hammered. I wouldn't want this useful information to languish in the recycle bin.

Hey Marcus, according to my car stereo clock it took me 1 hr 20 minutes to get home from the drag strip on Saturday. But I'm convinced it really only took an hour because the clock was off...
laugh.gif
clown.gif
laugh.gif
clown.gif

OP
OP
M

Marcus Frost

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
Hey Marcus, according to my car stereo clock it took me 1 hr 20 minutes to get home from the drag strip on Saturday. But I'm convinced it really only took an hour because the clock was off...
laugh.gif
clown.gif
laugh.gif
clown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuckie,

You must be real familiar with travel times in that car... being it's the only car you drive. I've heard that you actually have a second car... some blue thing... but that's can't be. The only way that could be is if you had it and just never drove it...

oh... wait... in that case...

tongue.gif

-m

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
33,000 miles on my 2000 RT/10 and counting. just one thing. with all that torque and dem giant rear wheels....depending on how you intend on driving yours....you might wanna invest in some H.D. ½ shafts. but as for the reliability, i can't complain. always remember......the hisssssstory. 3 years of total ********** of the ALMS. and yes..i know...the cars were modified. but these cars were meant to be drivin hard. i think that's part of the reason why i just can't seem to understand why someone would buy this car and keep it pent up all the time. i guess some look at it as an investment...(resale value), but i've always said..if you wanna make a few thousand bucks, invest in some stocks that won't mind sitting in a portfolio day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year. but please.... don't take it out on a poor ole little viper. then again, i've been told these cars look fast even sittin still. a billion lbs of torque, and no where to go. what a shame.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had European sports cars prior to the Viper. Had a Porsche 911 Turbo and a Mercedes. Viper has been by far the most reliable. Porsche was good, Mercedes was horrendous!

It's really nice to know I can go to the garage, start the Viper and plan a 2000 mile trip without planning the service shops along the way!