VIPER VS. Z06?????

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed before, but I wanted some opinions here. We are talking 02 Gen II vs. C6 Z06. Here is a list of mods for the Gen II: Smooth Tubes, K&N Filters, Belanger headers 1 3/4, Randon 3" high flow cats, Random 3" catback, aluminum flywheel, 1.7 rockers, 3.55 gears and 708 camshaft. I am wondering about 2 scenerios. The first is 1/4. Which would be faster? Stock Z06 or modded Gen II. The next is a roll from 50 to about 140. Which would get the win? If the above mods would not give the Viper the win, how much additional H.P. would it take to give the Viper the win?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way the Z-06 wins.

Add 150hp and you'll win, if equal drivers are running.

OP
OP
V

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So all the above mods would not give a 150 H.P. advantage? I know gears dont add h.p., but they do help get from point A to point B a little quicker. And according to Jon B. the gears make it feel like you added 50-75 h.p. I was thinking with those mods plus the gears it would be a close one, no?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the mods you listed your car will make more power than a Zo6 but will be heavier.

Its going to come down to the driver, but with equal drivers a gen 2 with those mods should take a zo6.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would guess that the Z06 would lose.

The Z06 has a tiny advantage over the Gen3. The Gen 3 and the Gen 2 are about equal because of the runflats so since the Gen 2 has at least PS1's I'd expect any hp improvements to put it ahead of a Z06, except for drivers difference.

Watching top gear and all the other supercars comparisons, reading magazine comparisons the Gen 3 Viper beats the Z06 in all performance catagories, even with the run craps. The comparisons give the Z06 points for cupholders and cheap price.

Ted

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not that your Viper is lacking in power....it's TOO heavy. Drop about 150lbs and it would be much better.

Loose the AC, PW, radio, amp, speakers, carpet, passangers seat, spair tire,jack and cats. Add some lightweight brakes, flywheel and pulleys.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's ONE mod you didn't state which is leaving a SUBSTANTIAL amount of HP on the table which the Z06 heads can't gain (as much*)...and thats sending your heads out to have them port and polish. I'd go Greg Good, but many others can do your heads boosting RWHP by as much as 70RWHP by that mod alone! A C6 Z06 (even with mild bolt-ons) is history if u address ur heads as well...u WON'T regret it.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's ONE mod you didn't state which is leaving a SUBSTANTIAL amount of HP on the table which the Z06 heads can't gain (as much*)...and thats sending your heads out to have them port and polish. I'd go Greg Good, but many others can do your heads boosting RWHP by as much as 70RWHP by that mod alone! A C6 Z06 (even with mild bolt-ons) is history if u address ur heads as well...u WON'T regret it.

Kevin,

Would have to disagree with you there, on the zo6. It is not unheard of to have a 600rwhp zo6 NA, because their heads flow extremely well all you need is cam/headers/tuning and you can get a lot out of them

The only mod that a viper v10 can do to neglect any zo6 mod is a turbo setup. The ls7 is just not a very good motor for making over the top hp without tearing itself apart.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep the GTS and buy a new C6 Z06,thats what I did.They are different,but both a excellent.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the mods listed, I would figure your at about around 520hp which compared to the z06 is not much of a difference especially the 03 SRT has 510 and the z06 still pulls from it. best bet as stated above is a head/cam job, not extra weight and more power.

With all mods, you should of just sent that money on a supercharger (I assume cost would have been the same) and beat the z06.

Regardless, the z06 is not as attractive, will never. be and the Viper has more potential

Last edited:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rockers, Cams, Headers, Flywheel, and Catback? I think you have more of a chance than these guys are giving you credit for. I bet you will Dyno close to 475RWHP at the wheels. It sounds like you have a mid 11 second car.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to have the chance to run a Z06 with my Gen II. I think I have the equalizer installed on mine. :rolaugh:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R