Vista/ Vec3and Todos card reader??

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck or received a patch to be able to use Vec software (todos card reader) with the new Vista operating system? The only laptops available new, are running Vista and I'm not sure if I should take mine back and buy a used one or give this one (Toshiba Satellite) a chance any input on this would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
K

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you!! I still have a week to return this one. My brother has an older laptop (win 98) but for the same reason I added the Roe, I like fast, I'm not sure if I would like using that one or not. Is there one you would recommend for mainly tuning purposes.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck or received a patch to be able to use Vec software (todos card reader) with the new Vista operating system? The only laptops available new, are running Vista and I'm not sure if I should take mine back and buy a used one or give this one (Toshiba Satellite) a chance any input on this would be greatly appreciated

I just bought a new Vista laptop a few weeks ago. The VEC software itself(2&3) easily loads in there. I was not able to get the Todos card reader in there, but then I had trouble getting the Todos card in my XP laptop. I have the card reader loaded in my XP desk top. Laptop log--XP to write.

Steve

OP
OP
K

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just bought a new Vista laptop a few weeks ago. The VEC software itself(2&3) easily loads in there. I was not able to get the Todos card reader in there, but then I had trouble getting the Todos card in my XP laptop. I have the card reader loaded in my XP desk top. Laptop log--XP to write.

Steve

That was the experience that I had, did Vista allow you to attach into the Vec itself without trouble for data logging?

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was the experience that I had, did Vista allow you to attach into the Vec itself without trouble for data logging?

Yes, no problem. We still have snow, so I can't get out yet, but I ran an idle log in the garage for a couple minutes last week.

There are very specific instructions for putting the Todos reader into the computer--no matter the OS. I had trouble with this reader right from the get go a year ago -- trying to get it into my XP laptop. I'm not sure it's totally a Vista problem. For what I'll be using this Dell laptop for---for the next many years, Vista will more than suffice. I'm not an IT guy, but my guess would be that the VEC program requires very little computer brain power to operate. Any good laptop should work fine for tuning.....Should probably have at least a gig of ram just for GP.

Steve

OP
OP
K

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I do have the card reader on both PCs but couldn't get it to load on vista, just revieved the older laptop from my brother and everything loaded on there as well. I e-mailed Todos support and this is what they wrote back

"Yes you can. The drivers are available on Windows Update, just insert the reader and the drivers will be downloaded automatically.
Regards,
Pontus"

I didn't have the Vista laptop online so I have not tried this maybe I will before I return it...

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Yes you can. The drivers are available on Windows Update, just insert the reader and the drivers will be downloaded automatically.
Regards,
Pontus"

I believe the drivers for this card reader are not made by Todos, but rather Civinco under a special arrangement with them. The below is from Sean's software guy last year. Maybe it's different now. If it works let us know, I'll try it.

Steve

"You can not use Todos driver from their home page. We use a special software inside the Todos, which is only used by Civinco. (Custom made by Todos).
So you need to use our special driver. http://www.civinco.com/Downloads/Todos2_driver_install.exe

It is not easy to uninstall the original driver compleetly from the system. You need to delete the device in the Settings/Control panel/System/Device manager and then restart the system without the Todos connected to the PC. Then you need to install the right driver before you insert the Todos in the computer."

Regards

/Henrik Fries