Waking up a 2006 Coupe

my427cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am about to look at a Gen 3, 2006 Coupe. It has been asleep unused in the owners garage for 6-8 years. The owner has age related illnesses and will be of no help with answers to questions.

I have no idea what I will find. So when I get there, where do I begin?

1) Chances are the battery is dead. So I'll take a new battery.

2) If the battery is dead, the doors won't open because the windows won't retract from the window seals. So the new battery will allow the doors to be opened.

3) But the security system will be groggy, right? How do I reset it? Can't find a "dead battery" scenario in the factory manuals.

4) Of course I will do all the usual visual inspections first under the car and under the hood: fluid leaks, rodent damage etc.

5) Unlikely I will try to start the car: bad gas, bad clutch master cyl, bad fluids all around, clogged injectors etc.

6) I have seen long storage cars with the brake pads rusted to the rotors. May not even be able to move it.

If we can move it, we'll flat bed it to a shop and go through it in detail. All the fuel and lubricant and brake fluid purges and hoses and belts and injectors and plugs etc etc etc.

Old school remedies like a squirt of Marvel oil in the cylinders.

Hopefully the key gaskets (water pump, thermostat, head gaskets etc) haven't been comprimized.

Any sage advice?

Cheers
Greg

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You appear to be on the right track on all counts. But the Mystery Oil is outdated, there is actually an oil “fog” in an aerosol can that you can buy for this purpose now. Personally I would rotate the engine by hand before trying to start it - it’s easy and worth the extra step.

Good luck!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Greg...as you know...there are a lot of variables. Some of these are easy if you already have experience with a Gen III or IV.

It will be your call as to when and how to start the car.

I will be glad to offer some tips on battery, alarm, cockpit entry without battery power, potential clutch slave cylinder issues, etc. Feel free to call me. 317 402 9013

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
For what it's worth, pretty much every seal on the engine is an o-ring instead of the old paper style, so I wouldn't worry too much about them going bad over the years like gasket style ones at least. Heads gaskets should be MLS type as well, so I would certainly hope they don't go bad with age. Sometimes o-rings will fix themselves as well. When I rebuilt the 5.7 Hemi for my 67 Dart I had a very slight leak on the timing cover o-ring that actually went away after it ran for a little bit. I think it just took a little heat and pressure to get things to seat, or maybe it was just a fluke.

Arnold Rod

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Look under the driver's side mirror on the door though. Underneath the door overhang there's a key hole to unlock the door. You'll need to get down low and look up at it. Ignition key will unlock the door.

OP
OP
M

my427cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Arnold. I know about the outside door key hole, but if the windows are up tight, and the battery is dead, the windows won't roll down the 1/4" to allow the doors to open. Right?????

Cheers
Greg

OP
OP
M

my427cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I was going to haul a new battery along just in case and a friend has one of those emergency battery pack /starter kits.

Cheers
Greg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets