Washing the Gen IV without getting the engine wet, etc.?

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, hoping that this does not sound infantile, how the heck are all you guys washing your 2008-2010 Snakes without getting the engine wet and sudsy? I hate to clean up under the hood just because I want to wash the exterior. I looked at plugging the hood vents during washing or putting a plastic sheet over the engine during washing but have not settled on anything easy and/or simple yet. Help??? Mike :usa:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most people fold up 2 towels per side and place them under the hood vents before washing. Close the hood and let them soak up the water...don't forget about them before you start it up!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As I tell everyone: WASH YOUR ENGINE, and WASH YOUR SUSPENSION. You wont hurt it, just make sure you warm it up fully after drying and let it run for a few to boil off any residual and not cause rusting. The cars with everything untouched and covered in grime have far more long term problems [especially finish issues under the hood] than those who take care of eveything and clean it correctly.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always wipe under the hood just about last after I wash the car.

Outside, door jambs, trunk lid, under hood, wheels.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never gave it a 2nd thought. Just wash away and then do what ACRucrazy does. I do wash it with deionized water though.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple just buy a master blaster and when your done washing the car pop the hood and blow dry the engine bay first then blow dry the rest of the car last. And as a bonus your under hood looks brand new al the time that way.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wash the car as you normally would as if there were no vents in the hood. Water through the Gen IV vents doesn't hurt anything.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tape off the vents on the Gen 4 hood and air intake with blue painters tape. Although water won't hurt anything, I like washing the exterior off and not worrying about sudsy and dirty water drying on a warm/hot motor.

Cheers,
George

Viper007Bond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wash the car as you normally would as if there were no vents in the hood. Water through the Gen IV vents doesn't hurt anything.

Same here. After all rain gets through there and thrown up from the road when you drive in the rain, so it won't hurt it.

The only reason to block off the vents is if you don't want water spots or something under the hood, but I have bigger things to worry about. ;)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This.
Soak up any standing water in the motor and then use your $30.00 ELECTRIC leaf blower to dry it up.
You DO have one I hope so you're not drying the car excessively with towels to install fresh scratches????
Blow's the rims and dries the crevices out quick no water spots or swirls.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vents are in locations where the water mostly just runs through the engine bay and onto the ground below. No harm from getting water in there, I just just avoid any direct spraying at the grilles. After I dry off the hood, I simply pop the hood and take a dry towel and clean up any drips in the engine bay.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Dan. The engine gets the same treatment as the exterior of the car. I wash everything. I even hose down the engine bay and blow dry! A good garden blower is your best friend!

As I tell everyone: WASH YOUR ENGINE, and WASH YOUR SUSPENSION. You wont hurt it, just make sure you warm it up fully after drying and let it run for a few to boil off any residual and not cause rusting. The cars with everything untouched and covered in grime have far more long term problems [especially finish issues under the hood] than those who take care of eveything and clean it correctly.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other thing is the hood pad getting wet. Which will stain with the soap/water residue.
The hood pad always got wet with the Gen3 but since I put the Gen4 hood on, it never gets wet.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both hoods. The gen3 did leak behind the hood pad but simply would dry out with the hood up. My pad never stained with soap residue.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have a GEN IV, but I have a GEN1 which is worse, since I can't wash it with the top off. In fact, I have never washed my Vipers, ever. I learned this trick years ago and have used it on my cars and my friend's classics. The first thing I do is california dust it down. Then, using good microfiber cloths and a good detailer spray, I clean the entire car by hand. It takes a little longer, but the results are fantastic. My wax also stays on longer since I never wash it, and I rarely need to claybar because I'm actually cleaning the paint every time and it leaves no residue behind. I also do the same with the engine bay and it shines like a pearl.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a GEN IV, but I have a GEN1 which is worse, since I can't wash it with the top off. In fact, I have never washed my Vipers, ever. I learned this trick years ago and have used it on my cars and my friend's classics. The first thing I do is california dust it down. Then, using good microfiber cloths and a good detailer spray, I clean the entire car by hand. It takes a little longer, but the results are fantastic. My wax also stays on longer since I never wash it, and I rarely need to claybar because I'm actually cleaning the paint every time and it leaves no residue behind. I also do the same with the engine bay and it shines like a pearl.

The previous owner of mine told me the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh