Waterpumpfault with Metalimpeller?

B235R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,i have a 01 GTS and i know/read many of the faults of this years waterpumps cause the impeller was of plastic. In my 01 the previous owner mounted a waterpump from an 98 and that is not a plasticimpeller. (it is really installed,i got the pump out to see if it was a real metal-version)
Right now i have the same issues as a faulty waterpump (no heater running really fast hot only Comes down at idle etc)
So have anyone ever heard of a Metal impeller waterpump gone bad?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Archer racing made a replacement metal impeller for a while. I have never had a replacement plastic impeller pump fail.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 01's and early 02"s had a premature water pump failure.

I would imagine just like anything, even the metals ones would fail with time. Does the impeller turn freely?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Archer racing made a replacement metal impeller for a while. I have never had a replacement plastic impeller pump fail.
Mine hasn't yet on my Viper, but we see it a lot on other makes/models of regular cars that use plastic impellers on pumps. BMW, Ford, VW, Audi, are the ones that come to mind the most.
Not always the easiest to diagnose. Sometimes you find them only half broke with overheating symptoms under specific conditions intermittently. -makes it a tough call sometimes.