Wet sand polish rims?

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done this???? I have deposit on a car and on one of the rims it has a quarter size spot that is dull? Looks like something got under the clear coat? Can I wet sand and buff like paint? Or is there someone out there that refinishes these wheels? It’s a 04…thanks bob

OP
OP
W

WHOSNEXT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any chance that you can post a photo of the damage area?:dunno:

I cant…car is not in my possession…I have wet sanding and buffing experience and was wondering if this well work on oem wheels….just in the trouble area?

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We just bought a car with this on the wheels, yellowed in some areas and a sparkly look in others. I'd like to know as well. thanks. I'll go out and get a photo or two.

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first two are the front passenger- next two driver passenger, you can see the sparkling effect under the clear coat finish and also the yellowing as if someone didn't clean off brake dust maybe? let me give this a try:

Attachments

• 100_3072.jpg
    100_3072.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_3073.jpg
    100_3073.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_3081.jpg
    100_3081.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_3083.jpg
    100_3083.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 10

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree,I think they will need to be painted or maybe powder coated;) you may want to look at those brake rotors too :)

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone done this???? I have deposit on a car and on one of the rims it has a quarter size spot that is dull? Looks like something got under the clear coat? Can I wet sand and buff like paint? Or is there someone out there that refinishes these wheels? It’s a 04…thanks bob

Any help with WHOSNEXT wet sanding question?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. As part of the process to "repaint". If it is paint that is coming off, i.e. someone used harsh wheel cleaner that ate thru the clear coat and then the paint, then wetsanding won't do anything other than prepare the surface for repaint. Unless he is wanting to sand down to bare aluminum and polish that to a shiny finish.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any help with WHOSNEXT wet sanding question?

I was looking at the Gen 1 wheels. The '04 I think is silver powder coat with clear. Wetsanding would be ok( I'd start with 2500 or 3000, if that don't work drop to 2000 or 1500, then work your way back up to 2500 then polish), but if you go too "deep", the aluminum under the clear will be a bit more shiny than the rest. You can always strip the whole wheel and polish them up nice too.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rapps...Wet sanding is not going to help. They need to be prepped, repainted and resealed.

Whosnext...without looking at pics, it is really difficult to determine if what you are thinking will work...

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks all we figured our wheels were "the complete whole job" for sure they look pretty bad in person. I'm thinking they will be dealt with this winter, which around here should be tomorrow at 9:45. It's kinda crappy here now. :sadpace: