What are the Stock 1996 injectors rated at?

Damion Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just found out that injectors are typically rated at Lbs of Fuel per hour and 1Lb/Min can support 1 hp...thus I ask, what are the stock 1996 injectors rated at in Lbs/Hour?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Dan brings up a good point, injectors are rated at a pressure, so there are potentially two ways of increasing fuel flow. One is just bigger injectors, the other is a higher pressure fuel system. Also, I'd question the full extent of that 1 lb/min = 1 hp. That math just doesn't add up. A 60 lb/hr injector is a really big one, and that would only be 1 lb/min. With 10 injectors that's only 10 hp, so something is way off there. I think it should be more like 1 lb/min = 100 hp (see this article for some more info on the calculation: https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4807/~/what-size-injectors-do-i-need?).

OP
OP
Damion Green

Damion Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 2 injectors PN 5245724 flow 270cc/Min at 43psi
Turns out I remembered the conversion rate wrong....ooops
turns out the conversion rate is "The Number CC"/10.5 or 25.71 Lbs/hour....hmmm the rule of thumb from the youtube guy Richard Holdner (who has appeared on Engine Masters from motortrend channel)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:
OP
OP
Damion Green

Damion Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4807/~/what-size-injectors-do-i-need?).
according to the Summit chart the Viper injectors should be 28.25lbs/hour to support 450hp.
The Viper stock injectors if the 260cc was correct and converted via the 10.5 number yields 26.71 lbs/hour
that is terrible if the numbers from Summit are to be believed.

However the number Richard gives in the video, at roughly 2hp can be supported by 1lb/hour, with the stock injector there is more than enough "head space" if Richards numbers are to be believed
of 500hp range for a 450hp engine.

so I will have to think about all that...maybe I did the numbers wrong

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, keep in mind that you really shouldn't be using an injector at 100% duty cycle. You aren't really getting the benefit of cylinder timing or anything like that. I would imagine that you'd probably want to keep it around 80% or so max, but that's just a gut feel and something I feel like I've read before. That would line up really well with the 500 hp limit on a 450 hp engine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper