What do you think of this cam for a 2002 viper

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hello I had this dodge viper cam kicking around for about 10 years
Here are the specs what do you think?
It would go in a pretty much stock car, just has cat back and filters
220/224, duration at .050". The lift with a 1.6 ratio rocker arm is .547"/.563" and is on a 114 lobe separation
thanks,

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking about maybe going through the trouble and putting it in
Still undecided after 10 years
Im wondering if this would have a lumpy idle? any hp gains?
I dont think I would do head work,
lol

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't bother putting it in if your not going to do head work. Its not worth the time and money in my opinion. But good luck if you do.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Allan is correct, this is a near stock higher lift cam for a stock rebuild. The only benefit is that it will work with the stock tune and provide better bottom end torque.

Dan

OP
OP
F

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hmmm maybe thats why I has it sitting for 10 years lol
Would this work with a turbo setup?
I also thought about doing a t4 turbo with like 5 -6 lbs boost

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea it does look pretty mild compared to my Comp Cam cam on my Roe car (10psi) and other Comp Cam cams. I'm sure it would work, but why go through all that for marginal gains. Seems to be better options as far as cams go. Stock cam specs can be found on the registry website, but I don't believe it shows the duration @.050. Does show the lift @.542/.542

My cam specs are .566 /.571(.603/.609 with 1.6 rockers)
232/236 duration

I have built heads (spring,retainers, ect) so they can handle the higher lift, not sure if the stock valve train can handle it though.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That cam has about 8 degrees more duration than the 708 cam. It will move your torque band up about 500 rpm. You will probably net about 25hp at the wheels. It would be a neat little "sleeper" mod that most people wouldn't be able to detect. Ahh, but you've got a creampuff 2002. You might bet 35-40hp out of it. It would be the strongest "stock" creampuff during dyno day! If you're bored on the weekend and don't mind spending $500 on gaskets and oil and such, go for it! You'll be surprised how easy the intake and rockers come off. The timing cover and especially the crankshaft bolt are the PIAs. Drop the rear of the tranny so the cam will clear the crossmember.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Six of one, a half a dozen of the other, but, you can pull the cross member and the cam comes straight out. The crossmember is easy to remove and it gives you more room to work.

Like everyone said, it is a shame not to do head work when the engine is open.

That cam has about 8 degrees more duration than the 708 cam. It will move your torque band up about 500 rpm. You will probably net about 25hp at the wheels. It would be a neat little "sleeper" mod that most people wouldn't be able to detect. Ahh, but you've got a creampuff 2002. You might bet 35-40hp out of it. It would be the strongest "stock" creampuff during dyno day! If you're bored on the weekend and don't mind spending $500 on gaskets and oil and such, go for it! You'll be surprised how easy the intake and rockers come off. The timing cover and especially the crankshaft bolt are the PIAs. Drop the rear of the tranny so the cam will clear the crossmember.