What driving school do you guys like?

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new toy is coming to me around June with a lot more power than I'm capable of using. I would like to enroll in a driving school before delivery. I'm in NC so anything on the east coast would be prefered. Any suggestions?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent move... any school would be good. Last year most would reccommend Skip Barber because they used Vipers there, but no more. Now you get to putt around in Mazdas. bleh

And if you pay more you can drive porsches. Bottom line, almost any school is better than no school.

Reaction score
Skip Barber was the way to go until the end of November!

The Viper was replaced with the RX8. :bonker: Pretty weak choice, but that is what happens when business types a run performance business. :buttkick: They try to talk the talk but can not walk the walk.

Looks like one of the corvette schools with Z06's would be a starting point or a Three day Skip Barber racing school followed by one to one instruction by a professional instructor in your car. I like the Skip Barber instructors for one to one instruction because the have piloted Vipers. :2tu:

The Panoz Racing School has good reports from past visits by Bob Woodhouse.

For a good list check this site( http://www.motorsportsemployment.com/performance_driving_schools.html ) but caution it is not currents as it list Vipers for Skip Barber School.

The Nor Cal VCA has a driving school March 16th at Buttonwillow. It is an introduction to Open Track driving starting with car control in sedans then on track instruction your car. This event is taught by instructors with many years of teaching in Vipers. :D In the afternoon this school will run on track with(with instructors) the Brian Angen Memorial Event. :cool: If you are interested let me know, I will sent you a flyer school by e-mail.

Viper Days is at Button Willow March 17 and 18th which makes for a great opportunity to enjoy your car on track with the best possible track side support possible. :nana:

If you ever wanted to drive your car on a track this is a great opportunity to learn and grow your performance driving limits. Which will make your normal driving safer and more enjoyable with the performance driving skill aquired.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panoz school at Road Atlanta is great.
+1 and ditto however you get very little in car instruction. On the third day the instructor will only ride with you for 2 laps and they critique you from the corners. Spring Mountain in Pahrump, Nevada is awesome with Corvettes and a ZO6 for an additional 1500.00. A lot of track time and they will send you a free dvd and info pack if you call them. I never cared for Skip Barber as they have you in trucks, neons etc. however their instructors are top notch. The best by far was the Justin Bell Viper school in south Florida but they folded with the Vipers years ago when GM decided to give them Corvettes.

Reaction score
Our ( Nor.Calif. VCA Viper Specific) Skip Barber school had Vipers on the autocross 1/3 of the morning and all afternoon(enlarged autocross approx 60-70 sec) for a ton of seat time. Most drivers were very tired after this program. The std program had Vipers in the afternoon on a small 25-30 sec. autocross.

The Neon(braking) and Trucks(skid pad) teach braking and skid recovery. Without the basics of car control pushing a Viper is high risk and can be a very frustrating endeavor. Skip Barbers programs were excellent but did have limited Viper seat time in the std program.

Today the only way to get Professional Instruction in a Viper is in your car. The best instructors are logically the Skip Barber Sr. instructors. Skip Barber has run the on track experience for VOIs form the first track event. They are still the largest driving school in the world with the largest number of great professional instructors.

FYI, most of the Skip Barber are contract employees and many will provide personal instruction. If you want an instructor in your area let me know.

This year our Regions Driving School is an introduction to track driving at Buttonwillow for details http://norcal.viperclub.org/ .

This program is limited to 18 drivers max.

Panoz school at Road Atlanta is great.
+1 and ditto however you get very little in car instruction. On the third day the instructor will only ride with you for 2 laps and they critique you from the corners. Spring Mountain in Pahrump, Nevada is awesome with Corvettes and a ZO6 for an additional 1500.00. A lot of track time and they will send you a free dvd and info pack if you call them. I never cared for Skip Barber as they have you in trucks, neons etc. however their instructors are top notch. The best by far was the Justin Bell Viper school in south Florida but they folded with the Vipers years ago when GM decided to give them Corvettes.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done FATT at Summit Point several times. I plan to do it again this year PM me and perhaps we can go together. It's reasonably priced, has good instruction, and the track is pretty good. Downside is FATT stand for Friday at the Track, so it's on Friday. It starts at 8AM, so from NC, depending on where, you would have to leave pretty darn eary or get a hotel.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM

Finally, there is a Viper Days every year at VIR which is actually in NC. It's more expensive but a much longer event and VIR is a pretty good track for our cars from what I hear.

Good Luck.