What happened to photo of new viper engine post?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
That's the way it is.

Like Paul says, we're sure hoping DC will continue to evolve and improve the car.

There are things in development that never get on the production vehicle.

One example is an alternate exhaust system that was being considered for the 2003 SRT but never came in to the production model. How many people bought a production Viper with the "Daytona Option"? That option even had an order code to the dealers at one time - but it never made it to production.

Another is the White Lightening Viper. This was not just a "show car" - It was displayed and driven impressively at events but some of it's cool features are not on production Vipers today.

Making a claim that the next M.Y. Viper would have ___X__ or ____Y____ because we just saw it on that development car would have brought on false expectations that only frustrate everyone.

In this case I think there was a photo with an uplink source to hondacivicforums.com - no doubt a reliable source of info on Vipers :rolleyes: .

Then it gets linked on some other internet site where people post all kinds of speculation of future product as fact. Those starting posts here and linking to sites like that have questionable credibility at best and may even enjoy just stirring up the *** for a reaction. Anyone that makes buying decisions based on posts from those sites is, well, not accurately informed on everything. Sure, chances are that some things may hit the target, but you really don't know for sure until it's been released.

Now, the VCA site has a reputation and standard not to mislead OR lead people on as well as not to promote propriaty information. Understand this: If SRT asked for a photo to be removed it does not make it a production reality. It can just as likely be that they do not want people expecting something that may not actually be released.

(btw - want to see a photo of a test Viper with a V-8 in it? Doesn't mean at all it will be in production though).

DC and SRT recognize this site as being a valid source of Viper information and I'm sure the VCA desires it to be that way. So it's no surprise that the VCA may check in with SRT on something like this. On the flip side of that SRT cannot have a relationship with every internet site that churns out the rumors of the future so they are a "believe at your own risk" situation.

That photo was represented on the posts at this site as being fact. If you see Daniel Charles Ross (DRC) or his equal these days say something you can bank on it. If you see info like that remain on this site you can pretty much bank on it being fact, not just hope. And that something few other sites can represent.

Perhaps another angle.

I appreciate that DC is on a continous improvement program for our beloved Vipers. Knowing that Dodge is working hard, and testing options for bringing the Viper back to the top of the competion is encouraging.

There is no guarantee that this engine will ever see production, and getting everyones hopes up could be damaging to DC's credentials.

Posting underground pictures on this forum may negatively effect the desire of DC to present any advanced information at VOI for fear it may be posted on the internet 5 minutes later.

ResumeSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Making a claim that the next M.Y. Viper would have ___X__ or ____Y____
Well this much is for 100% certain, the 2008 Viper WILL have the 8.4L engine.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think we have four great sources of insperation

gtsr/comp coupe

ASC/McLaren Diamondback

SEMA Roush SRTc

and last but not least and my personal favorite of all SRT/concept/ versions. The winner is

the SRT-Carbon Concept by SRT/Skunkworks

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul and Marv accurately reflect DCXs point of view on this whole issue. Since DCX has a strong interest in this board, I have no problem at all with the deletion of the thread in question. In fact, if DCX considers that information harmful then I can not blame them for attempting to remove it from all websites possible. There's nothing wrong with them trying to defend their business.

That being said, I'd like to raise the following points:

1) I posted a thread called "photo of new Viper engine" interpretation of this as fact as related to any upcoming Viper was done by the readers. I think most people on this site are intelligent enough to take threads along this vein with a grain of salt.

2) The information posted in the thread in question is easily found in the public domain and exists on several Mopar sites. It existed in the public domain before it was posted.

3) DCX has a serious problem with information leaks and needs to focus on correcting that issue. Getting tweaked about threads on line is not going to do them any good because they can not control many of the sites running the leaked information.

4) If DCX is desirous of the VCA to remove threads containing leaked information or images then one can only assume that they purposely leaked the video of the Vipers caught testing a week or so ago since none of the several threads on this topic were deleted.

5) DCX should be happy that there is such a large collection of people who are so rabid about this car.

6) When leaked information such as the engine photo or the info our region ran in our newsletter last year arise DCX should not overreact so strongly - it only tends to lend credibility to the information. As Shakespeare wrote in Hamlet "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any press is good press , they want to build on the mystery that surrounds the new power plant and you can bank on that being the unfinished version of the new lump. Go back and recall GM's take on the C6 Z06 spy shots that were leaked , that whole event started a huge wave of interest in the new Z06. GM actually sent suits and lawyers to the original poster of the spy pics wanting answers knowing full well that they were on thousands of computers by then. The net can build interest that morphs into big sales numbers. Think about it , would you download a super secret banned spy pic on your computer or the new motor pic. The hood was popped for a reason and this is it.

ResumeSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That being said, I'd like to raise the following points...
You bring up some good points, especially the part about DCX ignoring the information. If they ignored it it would just keep people guessing all that much more.

As hard as they may try, DCX or any other auto company for that matter will never be able to plug all of the leaks. In the modern information age there are just too many variables and too many ways that information can get out. I'm not saying that shouldn't continue to keep as tight of a lid as possible on future products, that is of course in some cases very important. I would say they have done a pretty good job of training their own employees, it is very rare that they are the source of info leaks. In some rare cases DCX may unknowingly leak info themselves, via someone knowing how to read between the lines of interviews and press release materials or by "putting two and two together".

There are hundreds of outside companies involved in the manufacturing process and therefore thousands of employees that are privy to advance information. And the information that is leaked is not always done so by employees or supplier employees, there are lots of other avenues in which info slips out that I am sure in some cases would surprise a lot of people as to "how" it happens.

Regardless of any perceived negatives pertaining to information that gets out, there are, in my opinion, some side "benefits" in that the information is usually spread by enthusiasts (i.e. "customers") and garners a lot of product attention and publicity on the web and in the press.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with them trying to defend their business.

DC needs to defend their business by putting out a MORE powerful Viper that will not be in the same league as the Corvette, GT500 etc.

Not by keeping information away from those whom are most loyal to their product, especially when that information is readily available in many other places!

You'd think they'd want us to be excited about the NEXT Viper, didn't they learn their lesson last time?!

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. I don't see how posting that pixilated phone pic foiled their whole SRT endeavor, but whatever, we'll see it in person when it comes out