WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET A TRAFFIC TICKET

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fact or Fiction? Just received the info below and I thought I post this here. With all the tickets that this group gets, someone has to try this and report back to us. Check this out:

Subject: WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET A TRAFFIC TICKET

This advice was sent to someone by their dad a retired State Farm
agent!

This system has been tried and it works in every state.

If you get a speeding ticket or went through a red light or whatever
the case may be, and you're going to get points on your license. This is a
method to ensure that you DO NOT get the points.

When you get your fine, send in a check to pay for it. If the fine is
$79.00 make the check out for $82.00 or some small amount over the
fine.
The system will then have to send you back a check for the difference,
however here is the trick. DO NOT CASH THE REFUND CHECK! THROW IT
AWAY!
Points are not assessed to your license until all financial
transactions are complete. If you do not cash the check, then the transactions are
NOT complete. The system has received it's money and is satisfied and will
no longer bother you. This information comes from an unmentionable
computer company that sets up the standard databases used by every state.

So what do you guys think? I guess we have nothing to lose to try this.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Old trick ... Does not work anymore.. Some states actually fine you if there is a overage ...

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten a few too many citations in the past several months. I rarely drive over 100 anymore. Tickets take a lot of fun out of the driving experience.
If there is a way to beat points, I'd surely try it.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard this a long time ago. I gotta believe the law enforcement agencies have caught on to this by now.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old news from the days when all states were not linked. The better deal is always to take a plea deal and bargain. It usually increases the cost of the ticket but does not add any points.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I've had enough tickets to try just about everything and this don't work. You just loose more money. I no longer plea anything out - I take them as far up the court system as I can get away with. I have yet to end up better off, but I relish the idea of knowing I'm keeping a cop off the streets for a few weeks.

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope

I tried it in the City of Waltham Ma. and I still got the surcharge and they kept the extra money.

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Nope

I deal with court systems.. that doesn't work, at least not in California.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Nope

It doesn't work in Virginia either. I tried it a few years ago and the points showed up anyway. However, I did recently get a ticket thrown out. I'll start another thread now called "how to REALLY get out of a ticket".

--Rob

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of Ticket

http://www.northscottsdaletimes.com/oct-feature1.shtml

http://www.northscottsdaletimes.com/oct-feature3.shtml

http://www.photoradarlaw.com/

A new speed-only camera went up on Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd a few months ago. This setup and the intersection red-light setups do not use radar, they use sensors under the pavement. Radar detectors like a V1 pick the mobile photo radar vans with pretty good lead time but are useless on these fixed location sensor units.

In the first 72 hours it generated 1,295 tickets for an estimated fine total of over $200,000.00. :ooo:

The fines generated by this setup at only this location is estimated to be $15,000,000.00 during the first year of operation. :eek:

This camera setup is not at an intersection. They are looking into placing these cameras on the 101 freeway in several locations. The AZ AAA has come out vocally against these speed cameras. The towns say it's all about safety,other groups say it's about the easy revenue. (If it's all about the safety as the towns claim, I'm sure they would not mind having all of the profits go to charities or a school fund :smirk: )

1) If someone else is driving your vehicle and the owner gets the ticket in the mail the owner does not have to pay or identify the person who was driving. That was the decision of the AZ Courts.

2) Just mailing a ticket to an offender is not proper service. Leaving the ticket at your door is not proper service. Service must be in person. The large majority that do not respond to photo tickets never hear anymore on it. The few that get personally served have to pay an increased fine. There aren’t enough resources to personally serve each offender that doesn’t respond.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Depends on what kind of Ticket

In VA and DC these cameras are only used to levy fines. They don't count as points against your record. The Washington Post had an article about a coating you can spray on your license plate that causes the flash to over-expose making the plates unreadable. They seemed to say that the coating actually works. I think it was about $30 a can and is sold at jobber auto parts shops.

Also, DC courts have ruled that if the owner wasn't driving the car at the time, they must reveal who was driving so that person could be fined. However, that was found to be in conflict with a law that makes it illegal to require a person to incriminate their spouse since, in dc, you can be held liable for the actions of your spouse. Therefore, incriminating your spouse can be construed as incriminating yourself! What a mess.

Also, DC was sending the tickets to the car's owner and requiring them to pay if they didn't know who was driving it at the time. This was challenged as being contrary to the laws of due process. I don't remember what the outcome of that one was. There was a company that leased out cars for fleet operations, taxis, limos, etc. They had over $100,000 in fines in the first month and had no way of finding out who was driving the cars.

I got one of these tickets in DC once and checked the box that said "I was not driving the car". Under that they had a section for filling out information about who was driving it. I wrote "request denied" in that space and sent it in along with the check for the $30 fine. Never heard anything more about it.

--Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang