Whats better Belanger headers or ACRX headers?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Whats better Balanger headers or ACRX headers?

That exact information was either posted in the engineer forum or in one of the Viper magazines.

I am curious about this as well, does anybody know the facts on this:dunno:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

The Laguna Seca record was set with an ACR and Belanger Headers

If the 2010 ACR 1:33 edition had Belanger header's, then no record was set for a factory production car, as the car was not stock.

Or are you talking about the ACRX, in which case it doesn't matter as it is not street legal.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper sets a new standard in OEM. I can't wait to see how all the other Major Auto Manufactures respond to " 650 HP " of fire breathing V10 Venom Bite!

You got to love it, Modern American Muscle:usa: I can't wait to follow the Viper ACRX-Track Race Series.

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:
[email protected]

Attachments

• Viper ACRX-Track Headers on assembly line.jpg
    Viper ACRX-Track Headers on assembly line.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Viper ACRX-Track Headers installed on assembly line.jpg
    Viper ACRX-Track Headers installed on assembly line.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any updates ? reviews ?I am really thinking of grabbing a set of these ACRx headers

aries

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Belanger header's along with no cats to a Corsa 3 inch exhaust. If you're looking to drive a long distance or a lot with the windows down, don't go with this set up. It's very, VERY loud. So much so that I can't talk on my phone unless I'm coasting. At full RPM at WOT with the windows down, it hurts my ears, it's that loud. :D

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No i would not want it THAT loud , i want it close to stock when cruising around and loud when getting on it .

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No i would not want it THAT loud , i want it close to stock when cruising around and loud when getting on it .

We are just finishinig a new side exhaust that with our headers is not to loud but will bark when you get on it. Best sounding that I have heard yet.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Regarding stainless steel vs steel, until 5 weeks ago, I thought Belangers were stainless steel due to the price. I was suprised to find out they are steel and coated. Now if anybody can claim that steel is superior to stainless steel for an exhaust system, you've really got me scratching my head. I can't think of one modern high performance car that doesn't have stainless steel exhaust manifolds from the factory. Heck, even my wifes new Sequoia has stainless steel exhaust manifolds. Lighter weight and less corrosion are real world factors that stainless steel provides. Apparently Dodge feels the same way as my 2009 came with stainless steel manifolds.
OEM exhausts components and systems have to last 80k miles - therefore you are always going to see OEM parts made of stainless (though they do not use the brittle 304 stainless which can be polished that aftermarket manufactureres use). OEM vs. aftermarket is just such a different world that it realy cannot be compared. I think it is also generally understood that cermaic heat coatings adhere to aluminized better than they do to 304 stainless so if you are going to go coated aluminuzed could have a benefit. Just comments from the peanut gallery.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACRsnake,

I've got over 1000 miles on my ACRX Headers. I'm using the ACRX supplied single cat, both oxygen sensors and stock mufflers. I had mine coated Jet Hot black, mainly for the looks of the black pipes.

I've described my first impressions in the "New Products & Suppliers" section of the forum. In a nutshell here is what I've experienced so for.

No check engine lights. Running the stock pcm, but will upgrade to the Mopar hi-po unit as soon as I can get the car to the dealer.

The sound is improved, but only louder if you're really on the gas. At cruising speeds, it is actually quieter at 70 mph than stock (from inside the car with the windows up). From 1000 rpm to 3000 rpm the motor has less felt vibration...something I was not expecting. It is a very smooth feel. When you're on it, it really sings, has more of a Lambo sound than the original sound. There is a video of my car on a drive by for the BBG Infineon run about a month ago. My car flashed the lights just before I revved the motor as we drove by the video camera.

My wife and I drove over 350 miles on the Norcal club's Downieville run a couple of weekends ago. She claimed that she could not hear a difference from the stock noise levels when cruising....which is a good thing for long trips when "talking" is required ;)

From a power standpoint, it does have more wheelspin when on it in second gear at speeds over 60 mph. I'm going to try to get to the drags at Infineon tomorrow night..I'll see what my trap speeds look like. It pulls well down low and hard up top. When I install the Mopar PCM, I think it will be even more dramatic with the higher available redline.

Regarding the debate on whether steel is better than stainless steel, I stand by my previous comments. I don't know of any high performance car or truck using steel exhausts. 304 is a higher grade of stainless over the 409 grade. 409 will get surface rust just like steel (but it does not rot away like steel). Before starting my own company about 10 years ago, I worked for a very large equipment company that had about 3 billion dollars worth of equipment. Everything from pickup trucks to D8 Dozers. Even 10 years ago, everything started to go to stainless for the exhaust systems. If you think a Viper vibrates and has a tough life, look at construction equipment that is used as rentals. By having access to all maintanence data, we could easily see trends of failures. Cracked stainless steel exhaust systems were not one that sticks out. Bad bearings, hydraulic pumps, brake wear, pcm failures, etc could easily be tracked and trends proven to the manufacturers. When you own 300 of one vehicle or tractor, problem trends are very easy to track and prove.

You won't be disappointed with the ACRX units.

Cheers,
George

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OEM exhausts components and systems have to last 80k miles - therefore you are always going to see OEM parts made of stainless (though they do not use the brittle 304 stainless which can be polished that aftermarket manufactureres use). OEM vs. aftermarket is just such a different world that it realy cannot be compared. I think it is also generally understood that cermaic heat coatings adhere to aluminized better than they do to 304 stainless so if you are going to go coated aluminuzed could have a benefit. Just comments from the peanut gallery.

I do not think that the Belanger headers are "ALUMINIZED" Steel, that is the stuff heating ducts are made from, the Belanger headers are made form cold rolled steel (yes, the stuff that rusts) and then are ceramic coated, the ceramic coating has aluminum in it, this the shiny look, that is the aluminized part. There is no aluminum in the headers

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACRsnake,

I've got over 1000 miles on my ACRX Headers. I'm using the ACRX supplied single cat, both oxygen sensors and stock mufflers. I had mine coated Jet Hot black, mainly for the looks of the black pipes.

I've described my first impressions in the "New Products & Suppliers" section of the forum. In a nutshell here is what I've experienced so for.

No check engine lights. Running the stock pcm, but will upgrade to the Mopar hi-po unit as soon as I can get the car to the dealer.

The sound is improved, but only louder if you're really on the gas. At cruising speeds, it is actually quieter at 70 mph than stock (from inside the car with the windows up). From 1000 rpm to 3000 rpm the motor has less felt vibration...something I was not expecting. It is a very smooth feel. When you're on it, it really sings, has more of a Lambo sound than the original sound. There is a video of my car on a drive by for the BBG Infineon run about a month ago. My car flashed the lights just before I revved the motor as we drove by the video camera.

My wife and I drove over 350 miles on the Norcal club's Downieville run a couple of weekends ago. She claimed that she could not hear a difference from the stock noise levels when cruising....which is a good thing for long trips when "talking" is required ;)

From a power standpoint, it does have more wheelspin when on it in second gear at speeds over 60 mph. I'm going to try to get to the drags at Infineon tomorrow night..I'll see what my trap speeds look like. It pulls well down low and hard up top. When I install the Mopar PCM, I think it will be even more dramatic with the higher available redline.

Regarding the debate on whether steel is better than stainless steel, I stand by my previous comments. I don't know of any high performance car or truck using steel exhausts. 304 is a higher grade of stainless over the 409 grade. 409 will get surface rust just like steel (but it does not rot away like steel). Before starting my own company about 10 years ago, I worked for a very large equipment company that had about 3 billion dollars worth of equipment. Everything from pickup trucks to D8 Dozers. Even 10 years ago, everything started to go to stainless for the exhaust systems. If you think a Viper vibrates and has a tough life, look at construction equipment that is used as rentals. By having access to all maintanence data, we could easily see trends of failures. Cracked stainless steel exhaust systems were not one that sticks out. Bad bearings, hydraulic pumps, brake wear, pcm failures, etc could easily be tracked and trends proven to the manufacturers. When you own 300 of one vehicle or tractor, problem trends are very easy to track and prove.

You won't be disappointed with the ACRX units.

Cheers,
George

Good I like the sound of what you are saying! Not too loud, but mean sounding when on it:headbang:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is a good debate. Here is my imput.

Both the Belangers and ACRX headers have a reasonable sound level with the stock mufflers and high flow cats. The ACRX headers seem to have a better sound due to the merge design. Both do have a good sound. The full Belanger system is loud but some like that. We offer both headers with the stock mufflers. Other options are the Belanger system with Corsa side pipes (less resonance and a little better power) but much more expensive. The Belanger system with the Mopar exhaust (no more power than with the stock mufflers but a little better sound), The ACRX headers with Belanger side exhaust (really good sound but a little loud), ACRX headers with the Mopar side exhaust (same power, better sound than stock mufflers) and the ACRX headers with the Corsa exhaust (best overall power but more expense). All the headers are very loud without cats.

Best bang for the dollar is the ACRX headers with high flow cats and the stock mufflers. Highest Hp is the ACRX headers and Corsa Exhaust or the Belangers with Corsa Exhaust.

Go with what you like best, The ACRX headers will make more peak power but we are kind of splitting hairs here. If you plan on doing engine mods down the road and want the best numbers the ACRX headers will make more power.

The mild steel design of the Belangers has always been a debate, but with the ceramic coating they do run cooler than stainless and less heat is transmitted into the engine compartment.

The all stainless ACRX design is more durable, but transmits more heat. We use heat wrap on a few more underhood parts and often provide "snake socks" for the plug boots on the track cars.

Hope this helps, I am available for comments about both good systems.

310-841-6996

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan--- Thanks for your imput! how much more hp is gained using corsa exhaust with using either header and high flo cats vs headers, hi flow and stock exhaust? Thanks

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan--- Thanks for your imput! how much more hp is gained using corsa exhaust with using either header and high flo cats vs headers, hi flow and stock exhaust? Thanks

I think even 10 HP with the addition of the Corsas to either the ACRx or Belanger headers is wishful thinking. I'm thinking 5-6 HP at best. We'll see what Dan says.

So .... $1700 or so for even 10 HP is not a good return. But if you want a better fit and finish coming out your side pipes and a nicer exhaust note then that's what you're really getting for your money.

Personally, I'm going with the ACRx headers, stock exhaust, DC intake and Mopar Computer. That'll get you almost 75 HP.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think even 10 HP with the addition of the Corsas to either the ACRx or Belanger headers is wishful thinking. I'm thinking 5-6 HP at best. We'll see what Dan says.

So .... $1700 or so for even 10 HP is not a good return. But if you want a better fit and finish coming out your side pipes and a nicer exhaust note then that's what you're really getting for your money.

Personally, I'm going with the ACRx headers, stock exhaust, DC intake and Mopar Computer. That'll get you almost 75 HP.

Give us a dyno run when you can...I am betting 60 HP max with your proposed setup...during the session with the SRT Engineers they advised that with my Belangers,HFs,ported lower intake (Arrow),mopar PCM - I would have Max 50 more HP....

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the Dyno results I got from my 08 on different days but always on the same Dynojet dyno with 94 oct gaz and roughly similar temps.
All Stock : 545 rwhp 505.8 rwtq
Mopar PCM + Roe HF Cats /Stock mufflers : 563 rwhp 533.9 rwtq
Mopar PCM + Belanger /HF Cats /Stock mufflers:575.8 rwhp 548.6 rwtq
So far a 30 hp 43 tq gain, I am now looking at changing the mufflers for something that will sound sweeter with a deep mellow rumble but not too loud, then air filter and a ported lower intake. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the Dyno results I got from my 08 on different days but always on the same Dynojet dyno with 94 oct gaz and roughly similar temps.
All Stock : 545 rwhp 505.8 rwtq
Mopar PCM + Roe HF Cats /Stock mufflers : 563 rwhp 533.9 rwtq
Mopar PCM + Belanger /HF Cats /Stock mufflers:575.8 rwhp 548.6 rwtq
So far a 30 hp 43 tq gain, I am now looking at changing the mufflers for something that will sound sweeter with a deep mellow rumble but not too loud, then air filter and a ported lower intake. Any suggestions?

Wow - my estimate of 75 HP was way too optimistic. Even with the ported intake, DC is consistently getting at least 20 RWHP. So maybe 50 HP is what you can expect. With that, you'll be close to 600 RWHP.

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When my ACR gets built what Headers should I go with? ACRX headers with the stock side exhaust or ACRX headers with DC exhaust or Corsa? Or full Balanger headers and exhaust. What are the differences in power? Also the Arrow ported lower intake or DC ported intake?

I just heard Belanger headers with high flow cats and a Corsa exhaust today. It was not the track exhaust but the regular one. It sounded awesome. It was on a 2010 ACR! Plenty loud and I doubt you would want to go louder if you want to be able to listen to your radio. When he cranked it over it reminded me of a P51 mustang start up in some ways. No kidding!