What's in your bag of tricks?

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there I was, at the saddle where Glendora Mountain Road and Mt Baldy Ridge Road meet. Stopped to take in the view, and saw clouds coming out from under the hood, much to the entertainment of the bikers there. Opened it up and noticed that a radiator hose had sprung a sizeable leak next to the PS reservoir and was spraying all over the engine/left-throttle-body. After letting it cool, I used channel-locks to open up the clamp, and a flathead screwdriver to un-stick the hose from the pipe(to the engine). Pulled the hose farther over the fitting until the hole was on the other side of the flange, then clamped on the other side and and everything was watertight after that. When I got home, I refilled the coolant, and ordered the 5pc silicone hose set from Roe. Good times.

I was really glad I had that little bag of tools - it had pliers, channel-locks, a flathead and a phillips screwdriver, and a few zipties. The trunk isn't *that* big, so you have to be choosy about what you bring for those "just-in-case" moments - what do you carry in your trunk, and where exactly do you put it... under the spare?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story. I have been putting together a little tool kit for my car also. Contrary to all of the Slim-Fast guys that think a pound earned is a horsepower lost, I hate walking. I will have my tool kit and jumper cables.

BTW, in my GTS, I stuffed the jumper cables under the spare tire cover. They fit well, and keep that tire cover from getting dimpled when something heavy is on it.

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah... I have to give credit to my wonderful girlfriend for the working cellphone and the helping hand in keeping the clamp open, and to my dad for the idea to stretch the hose.

Awesome idea on the jumper cables! Why didn't I think of that... 3 years and haven't needed them - yet

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome idea on the jumper cables! Why didn't I think of that... 3 years and haven't needed them - yet

You can usually jump start a manual tranny car by getting it rolling, putting it in gear, and popping the clutch - no cables needed! Of course, if you're facing the wrong way on an incline...:curse:

OP
OP
M

Mister XR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can usually jump start a manual tranny car by getting it rolling, putting it in gear, and popping the clutch - no cables needed! Of course, if you're facing the wrong way on an incline...:curse:

Oh I've been there man, but only in my old acura! In the owners manual of the Viper, it actually says not to do that though, but it doesn't say why.... Have you ever had to do it?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Now you just need to carry a stick, to go in the wheel spokes of those pesky bikers.
:mad:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I've been there man, but only in my old acura! In the owners manual of the Viper, it actually says not to do that though, but it doesn't say why.... Have you ever had to do it?

I haven't done it (or needed to) with any of the cars I've had in at least a decade. I would do it with my Viper if that is what was needed to get home! I am guessing that the manual says what it does as a means of Dodge covering its ass, in case you try the old "push it myself and then try to jump in while the car is moving and WHOOPS my own Viper just ran me over" method.

Hell, when I used to have my '73 BB Duster, I carried around a small tool set, a plug wire or two, spare electric fuel pump, rotor...

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there I was, at the saddle where Glendora Mountain Road and Mt Baldy Ridge Road meet. Stopped to take in the view, and saw clouds coming out from under the hood, much to the entertainment of the bikers there. Opened it up and noticed that a radiator hose had sprung a sizeable leak next to the PS reservoir and was spraying all over the engine/left-throttle-body. After letting it cool, I used channel-locks to open up the clamp, and a flathead screwdriver to un-stick the hose from the pipe(to the engine). Pulled the hose farther over the fitting until the hole was on the other side of the flange, then clamped on the other side and and everything was watertight after that. When I got home, I refilled the coolant, and ordered the 5pc silicone hose set from Roe. Good times.

I was really glad I had that little bag of tools - it had pliers, channel-locks, a flathead and a phillips screwdriver, and a few zipties. The trunk isn't *that* big, so you have to be choosy about what you bring for those "just-in-case" moments - what do you carry in your trunk, and where exactly do you put it... under the spare?

I had the same thing happen 2 years ago on a little trip. Upper hose chafed through on the Roe bracket. I shortened the hose up and ordered a new one from Tators when we got home. Surprisingly no air or burping problems. Just topped it off and was good to go.

Because we travel very long distances from home...........A $5 round jumper cable canvas bag fits perfectly in the spare tire 'hole.' I carry lots of stuff. From what I remember......Tyraps, stakons, stakon tool, wire nuts, 33#, super glue, several sizes of screwdrivers, box wrenches, pliers, vise grips, diagonal cutters, channel locks, hose clamps, allen wrenches, and even a small socket set. Probably adds 15-20 pounds..........but comes in real handy once in a while for me -- or anyone else who might need a hand. Of course black duct tape (no RT/10 leaking with this stuff) is always in the car. Under the spare tire is a couple cans of fix a flat and a tire plug kit.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery