What's my next upgrade if my 'new to me' 01

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sapphire ACR has these goodies?:

Smooth Tubes, B&B Long tube Headers, Roe Racing Custom collectors with hi flow cats, Corsa Exhaust

Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio Roller Rockers, Harland Sharp push rods, guides, lifters, Roe Racing Valve Springs

Roe Racing VEC2 Engine control module – Fuel and Timing only, MS Recalibrated Dodge Factory ECU – Turn off all OBD II functions that effect tuning

MSD 8.5 mm Plug wires and Bosch Platinum Plugs

3.55 differential gear with new factory LSD and speedo calibration module

Big Brembo / Gran Turismo brakes front 14” and rear 13”. Floating Brembo Rotors with aluminum hats

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/35/18 Front and 345/40/18 Rears

Dynamic Suspension Coil Over’s (Factory Race Shock) for GT-2 car, rebuilt at about 10,000 mile by Carl Hass Automotive in Illinois (car has 14,000 currently)

Centerforce Dual friction clutch with centrifugal assist weights

Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

Fluidyne Aluminum 3 Core Radiator, Roe Racing Front Bumper Fascia Cooling Ducts for radiator, Roe Racing Adjustable Radiator fan control module and 170 Degree Thermostat

Le Mans GT-2 rear wing

I'm thinking heads and cam as it seems the previous owner was going in this direction and probably the least expense. Heads, cam and pushrods, and a tune ought to give me 530-550 RWHP.

The other option is a Paxton at 5-6psi which in this case, I think is probably more expensive. Normally NA is much more expensive but I don't think so in this case.

By far, the brake upgrade is the best upgrade the car has.

So whadya think? Go the next level with heads/cam or a bolt-on Paxton?

Oh yeah - my budget. $5K - $10K.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do the Heads/Cam first, Stock motor paxton cars are lazy down lo. Then after you get use to the power and want more then throw the Paxton on. My 2001 was a heads/cam car for yrs making 612 rwhp for yrs befor I put the Paxton on it, now it's making 909 rwhp still on the stock bottom end.

PS Nice to see another NM member

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you basically all the same mods as my "new to me 98" except the 1.7 rr's and 3.55s which i am doing this month lol. . what kinda power are you making now? felt a big improvement with the gear swap?. . I always liked forced induction cause it always leaves you room to grow

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you plan on doing with the car with all these modifications?

Bruce

Mostly street (90%) with an occasional track event. My SCCA regional license is out of date and I'm sure it's expired. Occasionally, I will go to the drag strip but not really serious. It's a blast but I'm not going to invest in drag radials, etc. I may do a track event once or twice a year but that's it.

So mostly a street car and I'll give up some HP and TQ for drive-ability and reliability.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do the Heads/Cam first, Stock motor paxton cars are lazy down lo. Then after you get use to the power and want more then throw the Paxton on. My 2001 was a heads/cam car for yrs making 612 rwhp for yrs befor I put the Paxton on it, now it's making 909 rwhp still on the stock bottom end.

So, if you knew that you might go with a Paxton AFTER the heads/cam upgrade what would, I do differently if I didn't see a blower in my future?

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you basically all the same mods as my "new to me 98" except the 1.7 rr's and 3.55s which i am doing this month lol. . what kinda power are you making now? felt a big improvement with the gear swap?. . I always liked forced induction cause it always leaves you room to grow

Thanks for reminding me. I'm getting the oil changed and emissions tested so I can license it. And then I need to get it dynoed (after a few hundred miles-it cam from sea level and I'm at 5,000 ft) as my baseline. If I had to guess, I would say it's at 450RWHP.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking I've met you before. Didn't you have a shop on White Sands that specialized in Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000 cars? I think I stopped by on one my trips to Holloman AFB when I was TDY there from ABQ.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, if you knew that you might go with a Paxton AFTER the heads/cam upgrade what would, I do differently if I didn't see a blower in my future?

When I did the heads/cam I had no plans on ever doing a blower on it. The car was a blast to drive with 612 rwhp, it ran 10.71@130 mph in Roswell at 3600ft Altitude with heads/cam. The instant throttle response with the high CR and heads/cam makes the car very fun to drive. And it just made it even better once I did the blower it makes 909 RWHP at only 8psi of boost and it makes power everywhere from any rpm. A stock motor paxton car feels nothing like that (I have built and driven a few).

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking I've met you before. Didn't you have a shop on White Sands that specialized in Dodge Stealth/Mitsubishi 3000 cars? I think I stopped by on one my trips to Holloman AFB when I was TDY there from ABQ.

Yes I do, I own the worlds Quickest/Fastest Stealth/3000gt, 8.73@167mph

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did the heads/cam I had no plans on ever doing a blower on it. The car was a blast to drive with 612 rwhp, it ran 10.71@130 mph in Roswell at 3600ft Altitude with heads/cam. The instant throttle response with the high CR and heads/cam makes the car very fun to drive. And it just made it even better once I did the blower it makes 909 RWHP at only 8psi of boost and it makes power everywhere from any rpm. A stock motor paxton car feels nothing like that (I have built and driven a few).

Good to know. You must have really big flowing heads and aggressive cam to get those numbers. Who did your heads and cam?

For drag racing, I've never done the track in Roswell since the one here is less than five miles from my house but used to go to Arroyo Seco for track day events.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mostly street (90%) with an occasional track event. My SCCA regional license is out of date and I'm sure it's expired. Occasionally, I will go to the drag strip but not really serious. It's a blast but I'm not going to invest in drag radials, etc. I may do a track event once or twice a year but that's it.

So mostly a street car and I'll give up some HP and TQ for drive-ability and reliability.

Sir......just my 2 cents....with what you said here.......I would NEVER change from the 3.07 gears.... just me...:dunno: :drive: :eater:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For drive ability, since majority of driving is street, why not stay on the NA route...can, heads, larger vol. TB's, larger capacity fuel pump. My understanding is you can get a lot out of the motor without going the blower route.

Just my humble opinion.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For drive ability, since majority of driving is street, why not stay on the NA route...can, heads, larger vol. TB's, larger capacity fuel pump. My understanding is you can get a lot out of the motor without going the blower route.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm definately leaning that way. Plus I love having all the power available right now. Plus I think going NA reduces the chance of grenaing your motor.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to know. You must have really big flowing heads and aggressive cam to get those numbers. Who did your heads and cam?

For drag racing, I've never done the track in Roswell since the one here is less than five miles from my house but used to go to Arroyo Seco for track day events.

I have the Striker street heads shaved to get me 11.1 to 1 comp with the gen 3 head gaskets, and the cam is 236/238 @0.050" and .600 lift. You can get into the mid to high 500's with porting the stock heads also depending on what cam you go with.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Striker street heads shaved to get me 11.1 to 1 comp with the gen 3 head gaskets, and the cam is 236/238 @0.050" and .600 lift. You can get into the mid to high 500's with porting the stock heads also depending on what cam you go with.

Those are some awesome heads - probably won't go with those and 'settle' for 550-560 RWHP at about half the price. Not an indictment on GG heads (they are killer) but 10% more HP for twice the money doesn't inspire me. I'm going to put the rest on suspension and new tires. Hopefully I will get 'er done in a few months.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way back in college, one of my best friends had a gold '70 442 W-30 Cold Air Package coupe...nice car! Here's a pic lifted from Google, pretty close to what he had:

You must be registered for see images attach

On the porting of heads issue, don't you also have to port or at least polish the intake runners where they connect to the heads? Just curious as I never hear it mentioned....maybe just a leftover from the old days of motor work with carb/manifold. :crazy2:

Last edited:

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are some awesome heads - probably won't go with those and 'settle' for 550-560 RWHP at about half the price. Not an indictment on GG heads (they are killer) but 10% more HP for twice the money doesn't inspire me. I'm going to put the rest on suspension and new tires. Hopefully I will get 'er done in a few months.

Striker heads are GG heads they are Aftermarket castings BY J&M Cil heads.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
greg has plenty of guys making 600, call him

Realy? Gen 2's? with the stock 488 cid? Must be one hell of a big cam in there. You have some dyno charts for this? I would love to see it, I was not aware of any stock head casting heads/cam gen 2's going over 600whp.

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see pics of the 442.

So here are a few pictures Chuck ... they are older but car looks the same

Had the car several years and have done most of the mechanical. It's numbers matching non-OAI hood, non W-30 and bench seat car. Got it for a song and the body is rust free but the paint could stand to be re-freshened down the road.

Olds 442 - the businessman's muscle car

OP
OP
V

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So how did you get 612 rwhp before the blower?

greg has plenty of guys making 600, call him

I've heard this before. Probably with the Stryker Heads - but what else?

Realy? Gen 2's? with the stock 488 cid? Must be one hell of a big cam in there. You have some dyno charts for this? I would love to see it, I was not aware of any stock head casting heads/cam gen 2's going over 600whp.

So Matt, if you got 612 rwhp why is what Plum stated seem inflated? Not being a smart a** but I'm just trying to figure out what I can expect for $ spent.

FastMatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard this before. Probably with the Stryker Heads - but what else?

So Matt, if you got 612 rwhp why is what Plum stated seem inflated? Not being a smart a** but I'm just trying to figure out what I can expect for $ spent.

Because I have STRIKER heads not ported stock castings

Because the Striker heads are totally different head castings. Not a gen2 stock casting that starts out flowing 220 cfm then get ported, they flow 330 cfm the way you take them out of the box. And there is more to it then flow numbers too, they are just flat a better designed head.

Yes you can make very good power with the stock castings by porting them (I have picked up 70 cfm in the intake side by porting Gen 2 castings even using the stock valves), but you can make more with the Strikers. You will pay more, quite a bit more in fact for a Striker head set-up then you will for any ported stock casting Gen2 head but you will also get more. Just depends on what you are looking for is it worth it to you to sped the extra $$$ for the extra 20-30hp you will get with strikers with all other things being the same?

Now starting with Gen3 heads is a different story, you can get ported gen 3 heads to flow as well as the striker street heads do.