Whats the fastest youve gone in your Viper?

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My 1996 GTS topped out at 188 MPH on radar in both the 1998 Pony Express 100 and the 1998 Elko Gamblers Twin 50. These races were at 6000+ feet elevation on 2-lane public highways. Don't know my actual top speed, but for most of the race we were at WOT. I never saw more than 190 MPH on my speedo, which was frustrating. Not bad for a completely stock motor with headers. The good news is that the car is very stable at these speeds so long as you have both lanes of the road to work with. God bless the Michelin Pilots with 40 PSI cold pressures in them. Enormous aerodynamic drag at these speeds, especially with a dual element rear wing. Top speed is reached in 5th gear, not 6th. Best performance was averaging 170.9 MPH over 100 miles in the 98 Elko race (this included two standing starts). Actual results and radar speeds for all competitors are here:

http://www.openroadracing.com/html/results.html

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet the guy who started this thread works for Geico or someone. You're all gonna have a big surprise when you get your next insurance bill :)

Speaking of that, don't police pay for some tips that lead to arrests? Ok, so who's smoked crack in their Viper? :omg: :D

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I let off right before I hit 4th and the speedo said 135. Too fast for me at that speed.....you catch up to the car in front of you way too fast.

Tmls

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only been to about 135 in my 05 vert. It didn't feel safe to push it any furhter. It seemed too touchy, I don't know but the alignment might be a little off. What alignment numbers are you high speed guys using? Also are you running a stock shock/spring system?

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been 150mph more times than I can count, but the highest speed I've been to is 165mph. Once in 4th gear in my old Lambo, and 4-5 times in my 02 GTS.