When will Gen II values REBOUND

GTS1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I’m curious to know when you think the values of Gen II Vipers will start going back up. After the recession (when ever that happens)? After Obama is gone? And how high do you think the values will go? Do you think an average Gen II will ever fetch MSRP again? What about fetching $100K in 30 years from now ?

Speculate!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where we're at now is similar to where we were during the Jimmy Carter years in the mid to late 70's, and the second half (and extra inning) of the recession is still on its way. It wasn't until Reagan got into office in the 80's that things started coming back together and people started appreciating high-performance cars again. My guess is that we've got another five or six years of hard times ahead of us. If enough boring cars get bought, and people get as bored as they did in the 70's and 80's with the stupid shoebox cars, we'll see the high-performance market pick up again. On the good side, this is a good time to buy performance cars - they're undervalued in a big way. On the bad side, if you have a high-performance car, you may as well plan to sit on it for a while or take a bath on the sale.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They'll never go back up. Can only go down from here. 30 years from now your best bet may be some kind of cash for clunkers program.

...and this week's PowerBall numbers are 12-21-4-35-8-44. Rain tomorrow.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I hope Gen II prices tank over the next couple months, particularly B/W striped ones with low miles!:2tu:

(oh and Ford GT's too - especially RED or Heritages!) :)

Jim

Vetsandvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the value starts to go up! I picked my gen 1 up right when everything started going in the tank! If only I waited just a little bit more!

darkostoj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll tell you that one silver 98 GTS in kentucky for 28k was one of the reasons the prices plummeted like they did though

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speculate.......?

I should get paid for my opinion.

All things considered, the Gen II will be considered the ultimate Viper in style and substance. It has the greatest appeal to the eye. It evokes a visceral sensation of what an American hotrod car should look and feel like.

The Gen II was a classic the moment it was built. It eclipses even the European exotics because exotics aren't vehicles for the normal man.

European cars are like the metal "unobtainium". They are unobtainable and therefore only an aside, not really in the mix of what are legitimately considered American muscle cars.

To Americans, European cars are like high maintenance females....a real ***** to live with and ulimately not worth it when the good times are over with.

The Viper is like the Cobra... an an American classic.

When someone speaks Viper the vision invokes the lines of a Gen II. The Gen II is ALREADY the classic Viper! It's human nature that can't be denied.

The problem for you "INVESTORS" is this valuation will take time... Likely more time than can be realized in terms of an investment that will bring returns in your lifetime.

The bottom line is enjoy your Vipers while you are young enough to enjoy them!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's wrong with you people? Hope the value stays LOW. Drive your Viper until the wheels fall off, then buy another one. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Shutdown

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I think the Gen 2's are already priceless! Mine is not for sale and there are no cars out there like it. My warranty will expire in March of 2010. I have replaced 1 battery. I did use the roadside service when I ran out of gas. Its the best car I have ever owned and absolutely the best made! The quality is extraordinary! That's the way US cars should be made!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to look into my crystal balls but for now they are not crystal ... so I have to wait until ...:rolaugh:

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMHO, if Dodge drastically changes the Viper or does away with it anytime soon, it will help the value. I wouldn't be surprised if Dodge at a minimum downsizes the Viper's motor to a V8, or stops producing it for a year or more. Hand building these cars aren't cheap, and with the new CAFE standards and Chrysler not having a *** to piss in, I'm sure the Viper is being considered for the ax in the next year. If it happens, I think the Viper's value will go up significantly since it's such a rare car. Will still take several years to see that value increase though, with the US being bankrupt and all.

If I'm able to keep my job and pay the bills, I'll have my GTS paid off in the next year, and then I'll be on the hunt for a SRT to add to the stable, and once the values of these cars skyrocket, I'll sell both and get my Lamborghini Diablo VT, and then my diabolical plan for world ********** will be complete. :p

Just my $.02.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm able to keep my job and pay the bills, I'll have my GTS paid off in the next year, and then I'll be on the hunt for a SRT to add to the stable, and once the values of these cars skyrocket, I'll sell both and get my Lamborghini Diablo VT,

Just my $.02.

That would be a huge trade to the down side, but to each his/her own :rolleyes:

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That would be a huge trade to the down side, but to each his/her own :rolleyes:

Wow, no respect! Let me guess, you think the Viper is the end all be all of sports cars in both looks and performance?

Not to hijack this thread, but in what way is it a downgrade, except the fact that you prefer a Viper over a Lambo? Can't say performance, a VT will run circles around a Viper, minus low end torque. Would be VERY difficult to say looks, because a Diablo will attract a crowd just as well, if not more so than a Viper due to it being so rare and exotic. I'd also bet if you polled 100 people with a choice to own a Viper or Lambo Diablo, I'd bet most would say the Lambo.

I never intended to compare the two cars, I've just always wanted a Lambo, but now that you're dogging my dream car, its on like Donkey Kong!

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If people are paying 50k for a mustang cobra gt500 and 40k for a challenger...then they can pay 40k for a viper GTS....the prices will go back up. Those thinking these cars are going to stay in the 20k range are dreaming....plain and simple...

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were a G or a Murci, I would agree with you, but a couple of my friends had the VT and they turned out to be a maintence nightmare.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing about all of these cars being bought and sold is, that the pool of nice cars will continue to diminish as they get trashed by people who shouldn't own a car like that, or converted to track cars because of the low price. All that will accelerate the transition into true rarity.

Oh, and Lambo's ****.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:) Diablo? Running circles? Around a Viper?

NEVER. But, please, go for a LAMBO.

One more Viper for US.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just drive the car...enjoy it...cherish it...live for today!

P.S. Lambo's ****. :push: :D

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll tell you that one silver 98 GTS in kentucky for 28k was one of the reasons the prices plummeted like they did though

GTSs going that cheap now???!!! TIME TO RE-MORTGAGE!! :D