White man outruns cop in Viper

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got the Viper, I was talking to a cop who married into my family...he told me that if he's running stationary radar and clocks someone over 100 with no help ahead, he'll let it go...said there's no way he's going to catch them because they can speed up or duck off before he can even get going.

Never tried it, but it makes sense...at 100, you are traveling about 146.6ft/second (just under 1/2 a football field per second). If he takes longer than 4 seconds to react, put the car in gear and go from a dead stop, you can easily be almost 1/2 mile away in no time!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have been driving my red SRT a couple of years ago in Northern Arizona and heading for Four Corners and Telluride, Colorado. I probably was doing close to 100 when I passed a Highway Patrol going the opposite way. There were a bunch of cars behind me and the road had a lot of curves so it was obvious that it was going to be awhile before he could turn around.
I sped up to 150 plus and waited to see if he was able to get around that traffic. Never saw him.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got the Viper, I was talking to a cop who married into my family...he told me that if he's running stationary radar and clocks someone over 100 with no help ahead, he'll let it go...said there's no way he's going to catch them because they can speed up or duck off before he can even get going.

Never tried it, but it makes sense...at 100, you are traveling about 146.6ft/second (just under 1/2 a football field per second). If he takes longer than 4 seconds to react, put the car in gear and go from a dead stop, you can easily be almost 1/2 mile away in no time!

The question is, of course, who would ever be willing test the officer's rule of thumb in the real world?

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question is, of course, who would ever be willing test the officer's rule of thumb in the real world?

Not me! I'm related to him and he's a piece of work. He once walked out into the river here in Richmond to cite someone for drinking from a glass bottle in a public park.

But the math works out...so if you've got the room, punch it up to 125-150 and put even more distance between the two of you (then call me if you get a ticket). :lmao:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew this guy who bought a brand new grabber blue boss 302 while in vietnam, man I loved that car! Bummed around a while with crap jobs in NE Jersey and met this hottie who was the daughter of the police chief of a little town in NE Jersey. Little town girl had never been to NYC so after a date there on the way home I oops (this guy) decieded to open up the boss. Due to the gearing, 122 MPH was the red line so awaaaaay we (he) went. Looked in the mirror and saw headlights coming on fast. I think it was 287? The highway that runs into Bedminster. Took the first exit ramp at high speed, at the bottom, quick left and turned out the lights. Saw a trooper car and a local car flying past on the road above!! Lights on, back on the road at the posted limit. Wonder how far they ran till they realized I (he) was long gone. I figured I had my get of jail free card in the car with me, so why not run a lil.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NJ ASIDE from being charged with reckless driving ,speeding ect the MAJOR CHARGE (if you bolt )is endangering the life of a police offer and that can mean a nice stay in the county besides losing you license for YEARS.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew this guy who bought a brand new grabber blue boss 302 while in vietnam, man I loved that car! Bummed around a while with crap jobs in NE Jersey and met this hottie who was the daughter of the police chief of a little town in NE Jersey. Little town girl had never been to NYC so after a date there on the way home I oops (this guy) decieded to open up the boss. Due to the gearing, 122 MPH was the red line so awaaaaay we (he) went. Looked in the mirror and saw headlights coming on fast. I think it was 287? The highway that runs into Bedminster. Took the first exit ramp at high speed, at the bottom, quick left and turned out the lights. Saw a trooper car and a local car flying past on the road above!! Lights on, back on the road at the posted limit. Wonder how far they ran till they realized I (he) was long gone. I figured I had my get of jail free card in the car with me, so why not run a lil.
Ps today in Jersey the Troopers alot of times dont care who you know on the local level.Last year my buddy whose brother was a CHIEF of a local dept got a DWI from a Trooper.Another friend of mine whose a RED BANK COP damn near got a ticket on the parkway coming home from AC speeding 40 over.Interestingly enough a Trooper can give a local a TICKET but a LOCAL WOULD NEVER GIVE A TROOPER A TICKET.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In NJ ASIDE from being charged with reckless driving ,speeding ect the MAJOR CHARGE (if you bolt )is endangering the life of a police offer and that can mean a nice stay in the county besides losing you license for YEARS.
And there is one slight thing i did forget if someone does run in NJ and God forbid A COP does get hurt in the chase ect IF they catch the person they are chasing expect a beating of EPIC PROPORTIONS.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you thought I was stupid?

Yeah, I'm still driving. Guess that means I always get away. Because I always haul ass.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Yeah, y'all out-ran the Marble Falls posse (three of 'em) after they hauled my **** over (for no front plates). I just loved being "cop bait" for y'all. The cop said they were looking for racing snakes, but granny told them we were out for a leisurely drive in the hills (of course they believed granny -- we all know grannies don't "race").

Just remember, you can't out-run the radio in the cop car! Did y'all see the Texas trooper hidden away just outside of town?

:lmao::lmao::lmao::drive::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never had the balls to outrun the cops whenever I was caught speeding. I just pull over and take my medicine. That is your best chance at making a bad situation better.

I had always had that maybe, maybe not thought in my head, but the cops have those two things that are very hard to beat. Strength in numbers and that damn radio. When someone figures out how to beat the radio, then let me know! It is pretty fast :) Faster than any car I know!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was with a friend (CHP) when he clocked a girl at 85mph. he fixed the speed , flipped on the lights, thru it in gear, checked for traffic and punched it. By the time we caught up with her, we had traveled over a mile and close to another mile before she pulled over.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was with a friend (CHP) when he clocked a girl at 85mph. he fixed the speed , flipped on the lights, thru it in gear, checked for traffic and punched it. By the time we caught up with her, we had traveled over a mile and close to another mile before she pulled over.
That happens ALL the time during the summer months in NJ esp at around 11 am when all the girls from up north are driving south on the Garden State Parkway to go to the beach.My cousin who was-is a State Trooper used to go crazy in his younger days pulling car loads of them over no other reason than to check them out ,get a few phone numbers ect.

TMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard from a friend of mine that myself and the guy beside me got away once. Allegedly I was going up highway 288 on my Busa (coming back from Angleton, Texas) side by side with another member in our group on his ZX14. I never seen the lights, traveling in 6th gear at close to 11,000 rpm there wasn't much time to look back. Speedo read 180+, don't know how accurate it was. The other members of our group got pulled over and grilled about the two bikes that went by, they denied knowing us. Told the cops that we were crazy and they didn't associate with people like that.

We were all traveling to the next Burger Joint and had to wait over 20 minutes for them to show up. We were getting worried thinking someone had gotten into some kind of trouble or maybe had a mechanical problem. I am glad we didn't go back and check on them.

I came to my senses a couple of months later and sold the Bike. They should really be outlawed.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several here reference "radio" as not being beatable, but that is simply incorrect. For instance, check the police response times for most jurisdictions, it is pretty slow - even if they can get somewhere in 5-10 minutes, that is a long time in which the pursued party can get away. Relatedly, many jurisdictions have a low number of patrolling troopers to cover a large area, so in many instances, there isn't someone close by who can respond quickly. Obviously major metropolitan areas can be exceptions as they are dense with police, but that still doesn't make radio (or helicopters) unbeatable, it just means the escape has to occur very quickly.

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's ironic that this thread which I originally created was resurrected, due to my experience this past 2008 Christmas (some of you may have read my thread before it was deleted). Still no resolution on the case, but I will update once there is.

:drive::tx:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude