Who is buying a Gen 5?

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming we see a Gen 5 in 2012 (which I find hard to believe but Dodge has proven me wrong before) who is buying one? Having 2 2010s I am on the fence.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am buying if they are not sold out in the first month

Take it from one who always had to be the first on the block--you likely won't have a problem getting one. I recall everyone telling me I would have a hard time getting a 2010 FE since only 32 would be sold in US. I got in early then when they came out they couldn't sell all 32.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it from one who always had to be the first on the block--you likely won't have a problem getting one. I recall everyone telling me I would have a hard time getting a 2010 FE since only 32 would be sold in US. I got in early then when they came out they couldn't sell all 32.

There will be some serious competition next year among many of the brands.......I share your opinion with the wait and see attitude......I plan to add something to my stable; I will debate the merits of ordering one when I see one in person.

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the real challenege is to come out with something way over the top which may be hard in the new era of govt intrusion. Frankly, Vipers have not fared well in new or used sales the last few years despite folks like me and others buying the latest models. The history, in my eyes only is as follows:

92--way over the top. No one in US had anything to compete. Huge wake up call for Vette and others
96--another winner and maybe the best Viper to date
03--blah styling. Hoods opening the wrong way etc. Not Vipers best moment
08--present. Nice improvements along the way but nothing dramatic. The best of the post 96 cars

So Gen 5 really needs to be a knock your socks off car or dodge is kidding itself. I imagine I will order one since I have had every other Gen but I hope they do it right.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to order one. I would love to order and brand new one but I need to see an open air version first. I look at this spy photo every day....
You must be registered for see images attach
I cannot wait to see this car when it does finally arrive. I love the excitement around and about the GEN. V. For me I can only compare it to how it must have felt for those folks back in '92 when the GEN I's debuted.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the real challenege is to come out with something way over the top which may be hard in the new era of govt intrusion. Frankly, Vipers have not fared well in new or used sales the last few years despite folks like me and others buying the latest models. The history, in my eyes only is as follows:

92--way over the top. No one in US had anything to compete. Huge wake up call for Vette and others
08--present. Nice improvements along the way but nothing dramatic. The best of the post 96 cars

So Gen 5 really needs to be a knock your socks off car or dodge is kidding itself. I imagine I will order one since I have had every other Gen but I hope they do it right.

Totally agree with everything said here. However...I think just the new hood on the GEN. IVs were a great (dramatic) improvement over the GEN III hoods.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we'll be suprised at what Dodge, make that Fiat marketing has planned. Marchionne won't let this be a just be another car getting introduced to market. IMO you'll see the new Viper on more magazine covers and reviews than all the past Vipers put together. Just look at the marketing Dodge is doing right now (and it seems to be paying off). You can't watch a TV show, listen to a radio program or visit a website that doesn't have a Dodge, Ram or SRT commercial or logo banging around.

Besides the USA market, I think that Marchionne will have enough marketing power to make the car desirable to markets outside the USA. I have a feeling ol' Sergio would like nothing better than to stick it to GM, Porsche, Aston Martin, Merc, Lambo and others by taking away export sales from them with the baddest a$$ muscle to come out of Detriot. Big cubic inch motors will aways have a following outside the USA....add 700 hp and great performance and the world will be scrambling to get the new Viper.

Will you be able to get a new Viper?... yes, but for the first 6 months I think you'll not find many much under sticker price.

As to will I buy a new Viper...yes, but it must set a new Ring record or at least a very impressive time....I don't like going backwards.

Cheers,
George

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Not until the next year when the Gen V ACR is released. And as long as it's not over $120,000.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am.

From Bill P.of course.

2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2010 Ford Raptor 6.2

2008 SRT Viper Sold
1997 Viper GTS BW Sold
1996 Viper RT 10 Sold
2009 Corvette ZR 1

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I am convinced that it is going to be an incredible looking car, it will depend on the performance. We already know that it will have a true six speed transmission based on the data released concerning the 2013 test transmissions that the VPA is selling. So assuming performance equal to or better than my modified car, probably yes assuming the price increase does not cause sticker shock. But, even then it will not be easy for me to give up my current car. I have continuously upgraded it and it is bullet proof. It also has a great provenance since it was inspected on the line by Herb who signed the plenum; is the first certified Woodhouse Performance Edition; and its owner's manual has been signed by many key players of the Viper world.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but only if it's as good (or better) than my Ford GT. The 2008 GTS didn't cut it... Took a bath on the 08 Viper and don't intend to repeat that mistake again.

Oh... And it will have to have matching seats (my 08 didn't...)

OP
OP
viperdrummer

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but only if it's as good (or better) than my Ford GT. The 2008 GTS didn't cut it... Took a bath on the 08 Viper and don't intend to repeat that mistake again.

Oh... And it will have to have matching seats (my 08 didn't...)

Joe: if it is good as the GT, I would buy more than 1 but I wouldn't count on that.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will take a hell of a car to make me want to trade in my '10 ACR for it, and some new euro-styling without markedly better performance won't do it.
As Shooter said, call me when the ACR version is released.
If the ACR is around 120K it's possible.

Would never buy the first year model anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely, I'll wait for the 2nd or 3rd model year, but I will definitely own one. Can't wait.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, I'll have to see one in person first. If it still has the 08+ Fort Knox computer system, it will be a hard sell. I like modifying my cars, and if I can't tune them I lose interest quickly.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What he said ^

+ Deal breakers for me are:

LEDs running lights - this is a stupid fad that will fade out. Please no trendy stuff
Non Clam Shell Hood - it needs a SLR Mclaren style hood with fenders incorporated
Hips - it needs to have more width and aggressive lines in the rear. The SRT was way too bland
Production Numbers - If they produce over 900 a year I'm not interested

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll probably make fun of the new body style for a few years...then start to comment about "I'm coming around" to the styling and then in 7 years when the price drops on the Gen V to where I can afford one.... I'll buy one. That's what I did with the 2006 Gen III that I just picked up in March 2011..........

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting one next year as long as I can choose the color combo I want instead of being stuck with a "first edition".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang