Who owns a Viper and is in Customer Facing Sales

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if it isn't your company, then they shouldn't care..that much. The only way they would probably be bothered would be in regards to your comissions on a sale. Have you talked to your boss about it? Maybe a Viper is too flashy. You need a serious professional car that doesn't look like you make a killing at the same time. 3 series bimmer?

GATOR SERPENT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Craig. Be careful here. I have always been concerned about customers knowing I have one. My main customers make a lot of cash, but some of the people who work below them, are the gatekeepers and don't make so much. A lot of customers like to feel like they are helping a rep out financially. Bottom line, numerous posts on "jealousy of the viper". I would probably get another car if your customers will see you with the car often. Mine never do gets seen and most don't know I have one. However, it did help me with one deal since the customer had one himself. Unusual though. I like the BMW idea.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
When I worked life insurance they told me to loose the Tahoe and drive a Honda. Agents looking like they don't make a cent off a deal generally walk away with a better rap...not to mention bigger billfold.

I'll sell you an old Jeep for a grand...I'm sure no one will think your taking advantage of them while driving that bomb...
smile.gif

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not recommend it. Customers will automatically think you are charging too much. Also - a larger car will be better for hauling work materials and for taking customers out to lunch.

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was a lowly Director of Engineering for a company that supplied syrup concentrate pumps to Coca-Cola. I was told to hide my Viper in an empty warehouse whenever Coke people were scheduled to come in. (These same Coke people had expressed an attitude because the competition's owner had an older Farrari.) Don't want Coke to think the engineering help is getting too much money. They may think they're payin' too much for pumps.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's really a shame that we should have to "hide" our passion. Just because we chose to spend more of our disposable income on a rollng piece of artwork we should not be demonized. That same guy that gets offended probably smokes 4 packs of cigaretts a day(at $5@ that's almost $600 a month!) and he looks down at us for spending $ on something that brings a smile to our face 24/7
confused.gif

<FONT face="Impact">We car enthusiasts need to stand up for our rights!</FONT f>

It's the American dream to aspire to greatness, and we shouldn't have to hide our success. It's discrimination to the highest order
supergrin.gif

Who's to say that we didn't make our money in some other way than the job we're currently in- maybe we all cashed out of the stock market back in 1999. Yeah, that's the ticket. But then they'd hate us all for being so smart to know when the bubble was going to burst. Aw heck, just offer to take them all on a thrill ride and then they'll understand it
laugh.gif

I guess it's kind of easy for me to spout off though. I own the company, and all my sales are done over the phone or EDI
smile.gif

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper:
Get a Corvette and nobody will care
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's the whole point isn't it? My '94 roadster was never a concern at the same company. The Viper? Another thing entirely.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rarely use my Viper for sales calls, etc. Some of my customers that I have long term relationships with, and I know they appreciate/understand the love of cars may know about it. I have had my new VP question my comp plan due to the fact that the President of my company (who is not a car fan, and thinks anyone is crazy to buy anything but a Honda) told him I have a Viper. None of their business how I spend my money, or even the fact that I paid about the same as the VP's new Excursion. It looks flashy, so some people would just think you have too much money. Get a ******/daily driver.
My $.02

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not in sales. I work in the film industry and I have noticed that having a viper really changes the way a client looks at me. I have had some big wigs sitting in my office as we work out a sequence and they really acted pretty cold. Usually, the executive producer will come by and have me play a tape of my car at the race track or somehow bring up the fact that I have a viper. Instantly, the client changes the way they work with me. All of a sudden I'm not some long haired young punk kid, but a someone who has really earned his keep. My ideas all of a sudden are valid and my opinions all of a sudden count. Perhaps this is just the Hollywood mentality but that's where I work so I play the game.

Let's not even get into how many demo tapes people give me of their bands or rap groups that see me filling up my viper at a gas station. I even tell people that I'm not in the music industry but they don't believe me. They usually say, "Well listen to it anyway and tell me what you think. We might be what you are looking for." Hey, a free CD is a free CD. I should start selling them to help pay for the car.

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not in sales either but Controller for a large company (eg. control the cash, keep the books, etc). You can imagine the comments. Got my stones busted quite a lot when I first bought the Viper (and still do). Park it in executive row just oposite the visitor parking so everyone instantly spots it and asks who drives it. I meet regularly with suppliers and often negotiate concessions claiming poor busienss conditions (yeah right).

Solution - Ford Taurus as a daily driver. Bring the Viper only on special days or when extra dose of "stress relief" needed.

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't consider driving the car on a customer call; it's driven to work but never to a customer's.

My job is about maintaining good relationships, solving problems and providing good service enough to have them come back and buy some more. The focus is on THEM and how much better your product is going to make their lives.

Drawing attention to yourself (how can you avoid it in a Viper?) is contrary. Its screaming, "Look how much a sale to you has enhanced MY life. Next!"

The need to let everyone know how successful you are is for Friday night with your babes and buddies.

But I guess you've got your customer all figured out: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>(besides fok them)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>