Who Sold Their Viper and Came Back After Owning somethiong Else ?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed but I'm curious to hear stories of those who sold and left and came back to Viper nation and even those who are 2 timing...

What brought you back ?

Why the affair ?

A1998

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned a 94 R/T. In 96 I ordered a new GTS through a local dealer. Dealer stated car wouldn't be built for 6 months. If I didn't have my car sold by then he would buy it at a fair price. 60 days late he calls me and says they are unloading my car off the car carrier! My car is not sold, It's October! So I go to trade MY R/T in and the dealer tells me he doesn't want it. In reality, he had someone wanting to buy for $5 grand above sticker. He told me I had 3 days to come up with the money. I couldn't do it that fast. Called Dodge/Chrysler and complained they said sorry, nothing we can do. I was so ticked off! Sold the R/T about 2 months later. Went back to Muscle Cars. In 1998 I saw a new Red with Silver Stripe GTS in a dealers showroom. Fell in love with it. Couldn't make the deal. Dealer wanted way too much. Found the same car in 2003 and bought it for a good price. Was blown away by all the upgrades and engineering of the 2008. Traded the 98 in on the 2008. Always loved the Viper but was pretty well disgusted over the raw deal of the 96. Took me seven years to get over it.

Poor Richard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's ok Charlie, sell your Viper...get the bug out of your system....you would look good in the new Corvette....you can always come back!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can always come back and post right here in a couple years... "I sold my Viper for a used Ferarri and now Im back because the maintenance was more than the payments!" :lmao: :chairfall:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's ok Charlie, sell your Viper...get the bug out of your system....you would look good in the new Corvette....you can always come back!

Exactly. Go try something new, you KNOW you are bored to death with your GTS no matter what you tell yourself.
It's a car, not your first born..... live a little.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Go try something new, you KNOW you are bored to death with your GTS no matter what you tell yourself.

Sort of... Bored in general from the long winter. I really don't want to sell the GTS. I know I would miss it plus I don't want to deal with the hassle of a private sale. The only way I see myself letting the car go would be on a trade-in toward a GenV maybe. I had a dealer who wanted to take it on trade for a new 10 ACR and just couldn't do it. It's gonna come down to the gotta have it factor. I have a feeling that if I see a GenV available in a showroom somewhere I might get motivated.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be surprised how quickly you get over that feeling of "loss" when you open your garage and see a shiny NEW toy there.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my 2008 SRT 10 and bought a 2007 Porsche 911 TWIN TURBO S, a $150,000 car........drove it about a week and it wasn't like driving a Viper and NO ONE looked at the Porsche....It was a big disappointment and a hugh waste of money...It only ran high 11s and I was NOT impressed at all....boring to drive.......sold it and got my 2009 ACR VIPER....what a pleasure to get another Viper.......

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my 2008 SRT 10 and bought a 2007 Porsche 911 TWIN TURBO S, a $150,000 car........drove it about a week and it wasn't like driving a Viper and NO ONE looked at the Porsche....It was a big disappointment and a hugh waste of money...It only ran high 11s and I was NOT impressed at all....boring to drive.......sold it and got my 2009 ACR VIPER....what a pleasure to get another Viper.......

Just an fyi- there was no 2007 porsche turbo S.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traded my 94RT for a Vette and cash. Vette was Okay but not the same.

Bought 99 GTS, loved the car but had to make a business move so I sold it and bought a cheaper Lotus Elise. The Lotus is a nice car but zero HP or Torq vs. Viper.

Bought my 08 Coupe and LOVE it!!! Would only sell for a ACR or Gen V.

-Tim

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully I'll keep the Viper longer than previous vehicles.

Graduated college in 2004. Got a Corolla. Drove that for 3y met then met my now wife. got a lexus is350. kept that for a year and a half. got rid of that and back in a corolla (Oddly, I was cross shopping it and a Z06... My commute was 2 miles, so it was between something fun and something practical). got tired of that after a year and a half and got a BMW 335i. After a year and a half of the BMW, tired of that and off to the Viper (and now I work from home).

So, hopefully I keep this one longer :D

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir....I stand corrected and now that I have been made a fool of my self to my Viper friends.......It was a 2005 Porsche 911 TURBO S CABRIOLET......hey at 65 and my having owned soooo many cars I cant remember every single thing these days, so OK I got the year wrong.....Everyone please forgive me for I have sinned...... FASTMD got me on the year.....I am very embarrassed because I pride myself on being honest and not a BULL****TER....when I say something I do it and my word is of utmost importance to me so my memory is getting worse as I am getting older,,,,,I apologize to everyone whom I have seem to became made a joke of.....my Viper friends....

Just an fyi- there was no 2007 porsche turbo S.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sir....I stand corrected and now that I have been made a fool of my self to my Viper friends.......It was a 2005 Porsche 911 TURBO S CABRIOLET......hey at 65 and my having owned soooo many cars I cant remember every single thing these days, so OK I got the year wrong.....Everyone please forgive me for I have sinned...... FASTMD got me on the year.....I am very embarrassed because I pride myself on being honest and not a BULL****TER....when I say something I do it and my word is of utmost importance to me so my memory is getting worse as I am getting older,,,,,I apologize to everyone whom I have seem to became made a joke of.....my Viper friends....

I think we all figured it was just an honest mistake...

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[
Good laugh.......Viper Jon....I made a mistake on the year.....I have owned a lot of cars in my 65 yrs and old memory is getting very bad.....Funny Huh?

and the rest of the story is TRUE anyway...

QUOTE=ViperJon;3166746]Who buys a car and doesn't know what year it is...lol....:rolleyes:
Great story anyway...[/QUOTE]

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never owned a viper before. I have, however, owned various makes & models of many different american, german, japanese, italian and engligh brands. Of all of the cars I've owned there's few I would say I'd buy again. What's curious about the snake is how many owners return to the brand, or better yet, have more than one in the stable simultaneously. I'm very excited about my gen v order and i do suspect I will be back for more ie vert, acr, etc.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't sweat it Roy, we don't mind little mistakes.
Now when ya get your name wrong, It's time to worry ... AND sell! :D

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No big deal, the 996 turbo s is still a great car, but the 997 made sure the entire 996 line was Porsche's biggest mistake. The upcoming 991 GT3 sure looks like great, so SRT better bring everything they have in the ACR.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sold Vipers twice and regretted it each time. Each time due to anticipated financial difficulty that turned out to be not so bad. I wish I could have either of those cars back.

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a 2002 GTS for about a year. Had lower back problem, not helped by previous owner lowering the GTS, which caused me to sell . Back healed several months later, bought 06 coupe. Likely would only sell the Gen III for a Gen IV, although I could be seduced by something else??? Not into brand loyalty.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me there isn't one car that covers it all. As much as I like my Viper, and probably wont ever sell it, there are times when I need to drive something else to get my fix.

So for me its not a matter of replacing but rather complementing.

Bigger garage is the answer.

Matt

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After I sold my supercharged 03 I wanted to see what else was available for my next purchase.

I joined the Luxury Toy Club in la Jolla.

They are kind of a time share for exotics.

I was able to drive their Lambo, Ferrari, Vette, Spyker, BMW 6 series, Masserati, Porsche, Rolls Royces and Bentley cars. Had some thing different every time.

They also has access to chaufered Limos, Helicopters, private yachts, personal jets and some pretty wild parties at ultra high end locations.

This was indeed a couple years of lifestyles of the rich and famous.

After driving all the cars, I realized that for me the Viper was still the undisputed champion of my dream car.

With the others I was also cognisent that they were fragile and high strung beasts with tremenous needs for maintenance if driven in a sporting manner.

The Viper was stone reliable compared to them, and you could flog it at will without needing to call upon the services of an exotic repair technician. (no offense to Viper tuners). You do not want to know what it cost to have a rear window replaced on a Phantom.

While it was great fun to rub elbows with the swells, it came down to Viper guys being my kind of people.

It was fun to be picked up at a private airport, and board a $6 million McDonald Douglas no tail rotor helicopter. Flying up the coast to Santa Monica jet port, and touching down like a rock star. A glass of fine champaign was placed in your hand, and you were given VIP tours to all the exotic manufacturers from high end private jets to personal submarines. Got to sit in my first Bugatti Veyron and had my first page to report to the helipad for extraction. Got to try on some of the worlds most expensive watches, sip the finest wines and smoke cigars that cost 20x my normal brands.

After all than, I returned to the ViperNation.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a '94 in '99 ... sold it and bought a POS
Bought a '95 in '03 ... sold it and bought a POS
Bought a '94 in '08 ... Finally learned my lesson (I think). It's a great old car and I drive the crap out of it often.

I love these old Gen 1 Vipers.

Cheers

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[

I AGREE....YOU hit the nail right on the head......

QUOTE=commandomatt;3167506]To me there isn't one car that covers it all. As much as I like my Viper, and probably wont ever sell it, there are times when I need to drive something else to get my fix.

So for me its not a matter of replacing but rather complementing.

Bigger garage is the answer.

Matt[/QUOTE]

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[
see below for my comment.....

QUOTE=Paul Hawker;3167541]After I sold my supercharged 03 I wanted to see what else was available for my next purchase.

I joined the Luxury Toy Club in la Jolla.

They are kind of a time share for exotics.

I was able to drive their Lambo, Ferrari, Vette, Spyker, BMW 6 series, Masserati, Porsche, Rolls Royces and Bentley cars. Had some thing different every time.

They also has access to chaufered Limos, Helicopters, private yachts, personal jets and some pretty wild parties at ultra high end locations.

This was indeed a couple years of lifestyles of the rich and famous.

After driving all the cars, I realized that for me the Viper was still the undisputed champion of my dream car.

With the others I was also cognisent that they were fragile and high strung beasts with tremenous needs for maintenance if driven in a sporting manner.

The Viper was stone reliable compared to them, and you could flog it at will without needing to call upon the services of an exotic repair technician. (no offense to Viper tuners). You do not want to know what it cost to have a rear window replaced on a Phantom.

While it was great fun to rub elbows with the swells, it came down to Viper guys being my kind of people.

WOW......that sounds GREAT....I will have to continue to resign to being poor and doing it the best way I can....GOD has really blessed some more then others but I still feel he blessed me anyways.......I have had a great lifetime experience when it comes to cars and GOD gave me the best gift ever which is my Beautiful Bride of going on 41 years.... I love the Viper community and the people we have met because of being able to own a Viper....I will NEVER be able to say that about Corvettes of which I was a member of quite a few Corvette clubs.......Thank you Viper for all the Good times it has given us.........

It was fun to be picked up at a private airport, and board a $6 million McDonald Douglas no tail rotor helicopter. Flying up the coast to Santa Monica jet port, and touching down like a rock star. A glass of fine champaign was placed in your hand, and you were given VIP tours to all the exotic manufacturers from high end private jets to personal submarines. Got to sit in my first Bugatti Veyron and had my first page to report to the helipad for extraction. Got to try on some of the worlds most expensive watches, sip the finest wines and smoke cigars that cost 20x my normal brands.

After all than, I returned to the ViperNation.[/QUOTE]

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People with those cars and lifestyles don't care about maintenance costs or the fragility of the car it's irrelevent.
If it mattered they wouldn't own them.
I admire people who have attained success and wealth and enjoy it. Don't look at them as "swells" or snooty.
Speaks more to one's own insecurity perhaps.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did not mean any offense by the "swells" label. Did not think of this as a derogatory term in any manner.

They did, however, run in different social circles than I am used to.

Was great fun, for a couple years to hob nob with the rich and famous. They were pretty cool people all together.

(but maybe you are right about my insecurity)

The ViperNation runs the whole gammut, from people that scratch together the means to buy a used fixer upper, to those that can buy a new GTS with pocket change.

I feel more at home here than in the world of private jets and Rolls Royces. (but of all the cars, I lusted after the Rolls the most)

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I left the flock momentarily when I sold my gen2 too fast and then found I wasn't crazy about the gen3 when it first was revealed. I went to Porsche, although not an 07 turbo S, lol, sorry, I had it 9 mos. My wife refers to it as my 9 mos of labor, never bonded with it, sold it the next spring and got my 03 gen3, never looked back, 13 yrs and 3 gens, and at some point I'll get a gen5, hoping for vert in '14 or TA if they make a bunch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave